Airbag sensor - limiting straps help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.wastingtimeinthewoods.com
So I got my Ironman 4x fcp front in yesterday but tan into some trouble with my airbag delete kit. One of the spring mount is fubar so it looks like aill be tricking my airbags for next few weeks.

I have a mild desert run planned. What should I do to manage safety? I put the longer fcp shocks on in the back but immediately noticed the axle drooped more with them than factory. Do I need to whip up some limiting straps for the next few weeks or will I be okay if I don't go off camber hard or three wheel it? Anyone know where I can find limiting strap plans?

And yes, I release I could build a spacer or get extended bags for airbag man but I still want to get my springs in, just need to use it a few weeks and the front lift is already done.

Reactions: r2m
First question is what is wrong with the spring mount that has issues. Any pics. Limiters can be made of about anything especially if its a short time. Block plastic, metal and relocating the factory blocks, etc.

First question is what is wrong with the spring mount that has issues. Any pics. Limiters can be made of about anything especially if its a short time. Block plastic, metal and relocating the factory blocks, etc.
Those sound like ideas to limit up-travel. Im talking about limiting droop, so I don’t rip them in half now that the shock isn’t limiting down travel. I thought a strap from acle to frame was the only way, just not sure how to build them so they dont rip apart the first time they’re needed.

Those sound like ideas to limit up-travel. Im talking about limiting droop, so I don’t rip them in half now that the shock isn’t limiting down travel. I thought a strap from acle to frame was the only way, just not sure how to build them so they dont rip apart the first time they’re needed.
And to be clear, Im an idiot and may just not understand your approach : )

This thread needs pics for a better understanding.

6CBC73D8-749F-4BBA-95B4-5BC8F1172D97.jpeg
A96D35F2-A5B7-4C9E-A6BF-3F62AC2EE58C.jpeg
1D8DDD13-85F3-4D2B-8D6B-600021FC45D9.jpeg

Passenger side has ironman fcp, driver still has stock. You can see the dramatic difference in droop. Its 4.75” axle to bump stops on one side and 7.5” on the ironman side. Afraid its going to rip the bags out of the mounts.

I thought putting a limiting strap on both side would keep me safe for the time being but not sure how to go about it.

My opinon is put the stock dampers back on for the trip and do the upgrade later when you've got all the parts sorted.

Well I guess you're backed into a corner then, just take it easy on the trip and you'll likely be just fine.

You want as much droop as possible as long as it isn't hitting your shock limit. If your shock isn't at it's limit, then you good and don't worry about it. All it means is you'll get more articulation (read: suspension travel) on the trail.

As for the threads, is the thread really 4" in diameter? I am assuming these are internal threads, right? If so, try to clean the thread as best you can with a very fine file. I'm not referring to filing it, I mean to use the point of the to chase the threads. Files are tool steel and very, very hard, and a fine file like a jewelers file may work. Then with some oil, try to "chase" the threads again with the part that came out.

If they are external threads, it's easier and yes you can use the sharp edged jewelers file to cut/chase the external threads.

It's a rough way to go about it, but it may work.
Amazon product ASIN B07RQLBN9H

You want as much droop as possible as long as it isn't hitting your shock limit. If your shock isn't at it's limit, then you good and don't worry about it. All it means is you'll get more articulation (read: suspension travel) on the trail.
With airbags? Doesn't the shock always limit down travel even with springs? The springs arn't bolted to anything so I always though the shock was the only thing keeping it all together when you de-load the axle (jack the vehicle all the way off the wheels at the frame). The problem is the airbags have a down travel limit so if I were articulated hard and the new shocks have a longer down limit, I could tear one or pop it out of the perch.

With airbags? Doesn't the shock always limit down travel even with springs? The springs arn't bolted to anything so I always though the shock was the only thing keeping it all together when you de-load the axle (jack the vehicle all the way off the wheels at the frame). The problem is the airbags have a down travel limit so if I were articulated hard and the new shocks have a longer down limit, I could tear one or pop it out of the perch.
I just edited my post, check my post again. Your too quick on the keyboard! ;)

If the mount came marred from the factory....call Ironman and demand that they overnight you a new mount, then swap it in.

If you can't get the new mount in time, I'd recommend the following:

1. Install the FCP shocks on both sides
2. Keep the OEM airbags for now
3. Trick the airbag sensors to give you 2" of extra "lift" for your trip
4. Your risk is popping out an airbag under full droop. If you do that, just have what you need to be able to pop it back in on the trail (jack where you can get the GX way off the ground).
5. Swap in the coils when Ironman sends you the new mount.

Others often DIY the coil conversion using a hockey puck and a bolt as a spring retainer on the bottom, which could be a good temporary and cheap solution as well. Either way, Ironman needs to make it right for you.

@r2m saves the day. Half hour with a file and some cutting oil and Im back in business.
I like my beer, Scotch ale (preferably McEwans), dark and just cooler than room temperature, please. ;)

This happened to me as well, fun times, had to file a burr down. From the airbag delete kit, the 2 sets of bolts ironman provided also didn't work, one set was too short and the other too long, had to cut the longer ones...nothing from ironman ever fits nicely for me, except the front bumper, that went in without issues so far, no winch yet.

This happened to me as well, fun times, had to file a burr down. From the airbag delete kit, the 2 sets of bolts ironman provided also didn't work, one set was too short and the other too long, had to cut the longer ones...nothing from ironman ever fits nicely for me, except the front bumper, that went in without issues so far, no winch yet.
I think mine might have either rolled off the table or got banged up in shipping because was it was fubar.

I had the same issue with the bolts. Had to cut .5” off the long ones. Pita.

My rake seems to have increased a bit. How did yours look at first vs after it settled?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom