Mystery Tool Box, Scrapers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finishing up sorting through some tools and boxes and came across this very old box of "Mound" scrapers. Kind of cool and they look like they belong in a museum. The label says for scraping valves and journals, but they look like wood working tools to me. I would assume someone here knows the history and how they were used?

3CB2D900-654C-4790-9753-89AF762213EF.jpeg

396542A2-C088-4000-8E86-5E38148EF4C0.jpeg

3A244ACE-B4ED-4A74-ABBD-A18D9248984E.jpeg

Very nice. Never seen those actually, but why would you think they are not what the box says? Looks legit to me, I can see that babbit bushings may need scraping.

I have no doubt the label doesn't lie, but my knowledge is clearly lacking as I have never heard of scraping valves, or for that matter, a babbitt bushing until I opened this box. Down the rabbit hole I go.

Those are really neat.

Those are hand scraping tools for metal. Hand scraping is used for metal. It's a fitting/alignment process. It's a highly skilled process that few people understand

If you want to know exactly what those tools are reach out to Rich King @ http://www.handscraping.com/

Years ago I hosted one of Rich's scraping classes in my machine shop. It was a great learning experience.

Holy cow what a process, I had no idea that this was even a thing.

This is what a scraped iron surface looks like.

There is also power scraping with a special tool called a Biax.

This is why I love machining so much. There are always new fascinating things to learn.

hand scraped.jpg

Reminds me of a jeweled surface, really cool work. Pip, If you would have a use for these scrapers let me know. I can say for sure I will never use them, but they are cool to look at!

Reminds me of a jeweled surface, really cool work. Pip, If you would have a use for these scrapers let me know. I can say for sure I will never use them, but they are cool to look at!

I don't have a use for them, but @shocktower would be the guy I'd ask if he could use them.

seems to me that babbitt bearing scraping is much more challenging than the usual flat steel surface. Not only is it curved, but the material is also much softer I imagine, so more room for mishaps.

Nice find on the scraper kit.
Here’s some sexy scraping on a mill table.

It's not easy to tell the difference, but that mill table is ground with decorative flaking for looks.

Flaking can be used for oil retention in a way system, but its a bit of a different concept compared to actual scraping.

Scraping is done for alignment and bearing. There's precisely defined standards for load bearing points per square inch so to allow a way system to move properly and minimize stick-slip conditions.

Last edited:
Check out Moor pattern scraping. It does retain oil like jewlling.
What you saw on the mill table is a crescent shape “Moor technique” scraping . Although it looks cool it’s actually flat as can be. Much harder to master than straight scraping.

Last edited:
Check out Moor pattern scraping. It does retain oil like jewlling.
What you saw on the mill table is a crescent shape “Moor technique” scraping . Although it looks cool it’s actually flat as can be. Much harder to master than straight scraping.
My son is wicked with either a Biax or hand scraper, he can do Moore style ( he owns a rare Moore master plate ) or if you want SIP, and he can flatten things out, I am not just bragging cause he is my son, but this kid wanted to learn when he was 15, and has been taught by Richard King in one on one classes, and still practices in our shop daily . Oh yeah he spend his other time researching scrapping and Metrology through out the history of it and world wide, different styles , an odd hobby for a young man . Oh yeah he has several interferometers and a bunch of measuring tools

My son is wicked with either a Biax or hand scraper, he can do Moore style ( he owns a rare Moore master plate ) or if you want SIP, and he can flatten things out, I am not just bragging cause he is my son, but this kid wanted to learn when he was 15, and has been taught by Richard King in one on one classes, and still practices in our shop daily . Oh yeah he spend his other time researching scrapping and Metrology through out the history of it and world wide, different styles , an odd hobby for a young man . Oh yeah he has several interferometers and a bunch of measuring tools
Thats so refreshing to learn of a young man yearning to learn and hone lost skills. You certainly must be proud and rightly so.
My best to him!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom