Power steering question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Will a 1979 fj40 manual power steering gearbox mate directly up to a power steering pump or do I need to replace the manual steering box with a power steering box?

You will have to get a powered box. Factory FJ40 p/s is very rare, and very expensive. FJ60/62 is much more readily available, and a pretty easy modification fabrication-wise. Saginaw is also a good, non-Toyota option.

If this engine is original to the 79, it already has the bolt on feature. If you want a factory setup locate donor ps bracket and ps pump from fj60. You will need ps cooler, similar to the fj60 but a has different bends. the fj40 frame is not as wide so if you able able to rebend it you are golden. Not the prettiest but it is doable. Or use a cooler from any car that does not have some kind restriction flow. Anyhow, for the ps option, Saginaw has already been mentioned. Toyota truck from the 80's or early nineties with home made pedestal will work. Or purchase a fj40 ps casing from Toyota and use79- 85 4x4 toyota ps box as a donor if remember correctly. The 40 and 4x4 are identical only difference is the geometry. The 79 has a smaller hole on the returned line(low pressure) but changed to bigger dia. One later. Don't remember the reasoning 100%. Also the steering rod that to the rag joint to the steering wheel needs to be swapped with a shorter one. Not sure if Toyota still sells them or not. My guess is no.

it depends on what month 1979 you own.
the early 1979, built in late 1978 are still basically 1978's, the changes to the body and engine for a true 1979 didn't start until Jan 1979
the 1979 and 1980 PS bracket is slighlty different than the later 1981+ bracket,
by adding the PS steering box you will either need to shorten the steering shaft or space the steering column closer to the driver

to your original question, the manual steering box cannot be converted to be a powered box

The 81+ steering shaft is definitely easier to modify, just install the ps box and rag joint, slide the steering shaft accordingly. Cut off what you don't need and drill a new hole. I let a machinest do mine since I did have a drill press.

Forgot to mention the pulley at harmonic balancer will have to be replaced as well.

Forgot to mention the pulley at harmonic balancer will have to be replaced as well.
why?
the stock PS runs with the alternator belt

Electric PS very nice, I have set up for my 77 and my bj45 has the same kit. Personally i would never use Saginaw set up again, no feedback didn't feel right and requires modifications. I am sure others love it but when it comes to comparing the 2 it is no contest.

Cost wise I have no clue what the average cost is for mods and acquiring everything to convert to PS on the 40.

Reasonable number of guys going the electric route including me. Under 200 if you have basic measuring, cut and weld skills. Lots of parts available. Two wire hookup. Much cleaner option IMO.

You are right. It's been awhile, If remember correctly, I wanted to keep the oem configuration and this also includes the smog pump and added the air con as an option at later date. the harmonic balancee pulley

One possible downside with the electric is that the rest of the original 40 steering system needs to be in tip-top shape. Gets a bit more expensive if you're throwing money at rebuilding the old manual box, center arm, tie rods, drag link, etc. Most of that is either replaced or eliminated if you go hydraulic PS.

Also, how big of a tire and what kind of terrain is really feasible with the electric? Even hydraulic power options that employ the 40-style steering start to get in the way. I haven't searched much, but I'm curious to see a breakdown of realistic prices for the different options, and what kind of use they're ideal for.

The best driving Power Steering setups I have are Saginaw. They eliminate the center arm and the extra drag link.

As C6 said the electric, if done properly should involve rebuilding all components you can.

I have done two electric and love both but I rebuilt all the other components along the way.

Factory 40 PS bolt in units are extremely hard to find. Most are trash when found.

I would not waste a dime on Mini Truck PS. It’s basically power assist and you still have center arm and 3rd drag

FJ60/80 box is a good option as well.

I did what @fjwagon mentioned, bought a new PS gear case from Toyota and a rebuild kit and transferred over the internals from a mini truck PS gear. I also modified the manual steering gear heat shield mounting brackets to work with the PS gear. I have a 3FE so pump mounting was not an issue. I like it, has a good feel. I don't have huge tires so I don't need the Saginaw power. I was able to get a PS shaft from SOR. The manual shaft can be shortened to work also.

1642809172850.jpeg

I did what @fjwagon mentioned, bought a new PS gear case from Toyota and a rebuild kit and transferred over the internals from a mini truck PS gear. I also modified the manual steering gear heat shield mounting brackets to work with the PS gear. I have a 3FE so pump mounting was not an issue. I like it, has a good feel. I don't have huge tires so I don't need the Saginaw power. I was able to get a PS shaft from SOR. The manual shaft can be shortened to work also.

View attachment 2901553
How hard was the PS box to rebuild? I had mine rebuilt for my 82 and I’m not sure they did a good job. I replaced all steering components and it is still way too sloppy steering. The box appears to be sloppy.

There are a couple of adjustments for the PS gear. Worm shaft and cross shaft preload. Otherwise, check your center link for slop.

Attachments

• Pages from 1980_Chassis_Body_Manual ps gear rebuild.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 64

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom