Buying 2016 Land Cruiser w Blown Engine ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good day all, I'm new to the forum but wanted to ask your thoughts on buying a 2016 with a blown engine (its seized) as a result of an oil leak. He's wanting 20k for the car ...best I can tell new engine is about 25k assuming we have to replace the entire thing...has anyone here replaced or rebuilt a motor based on it seized engine? what other things to look out for (transmission?)?

I can't comment on the price, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one with a blown engine and either rebuild or throw a salvage engine in it. If you can't get a Land Cruiser engine, you can always grab one from a Tundra or Sequoia and move anything necessary over to it from the donor.

Oh, and $25K for an engine sounds insane to me. I assume that is new? So many 5.7 out there you should be able to grab a salvage one for a much, much lower price.

Even if you get a new engine and pay someone to install it you are not paying more than buying a running 2016 (with miles on the engine) in current market, at least where I live.
But as others said there are plenty of options to get yourself an engine at much lower price. Getting a used engine might be the cheapest solution. Rebuilding is very labor intensive, requires a good shop, and if the crankshaft is damaged it can quickly make it expensive. The logistics are more complicated as you need a place for the truck to be stored while the engine is rebuild.
So my focus will be on the other parts of the truck. I got that it is not running and you can't test drive it. But look at the overall conditions. If it looks neglected think twice as there might be other things that are wrong with the truck.

Oil leaks severe enough to trash an engine between factory oil change interval aren’t very common on this platform. I’d be very curious how this thing was treated. And where was it owned? Houston or anywhere else with flooding?

Is this truck in the US? OP location says Cabo, BCS Mexico.

In a vacuum, this deal I would jump on if it’s only the engine. Like @bloc said above though, other factors have to be considered.

Depends on your intended purpose for the Land cruiser if its going to be used as a adventure vehicle and not a daily driver your pockets the limit for the vehicle , you can do a tundra engine and super charger for way below the price of a new LC 200 engine .
I just sold the wifes LC200 she never used it and I still have my 2020 LC200 , just to nice to wheel this 100k market price machine and beat the crap out of it , I all ready sunk it a couple times in the NJ pines , fire roads are ok in NJ but get off the beaten path and its like quick sand for this heavy beast , even with 35’s They sink down to the skid plates and your like a turtle … LOL
We had a lot of flooding on the east coast over the winter and there are a few LC200 and LX570’s in insurance scrap yards I am looking at , I don’t mind buying a flood car AKA worm Mobile … I have a few dodge trucks with cummins 12 and 24 valve powertrain‘s down the shop looking for a new body … I’m only limited on time for projects .
I may pick one up if I can get it for the right price . I have a giant pile of new aftermarket parts for a LC200 no one has come out to purchased so repowering a LC200 with a cummins diesel would be awesome and 42’s .
I could not or would not do that to my nice LC200
It all comes down to what your going to do with the truck .

Good day all, I'm new to the forum but wanted to ask your thoughts on buying a 2016 with a blown engine (its seized) as a result of an oil leak. He's wanting 20k for the car ...best I can tell new engine is about 25k assuming we have to replace the entire thing...has anyone here replaced or rebuilt a motor based on it seized engine? what other things to look out for (transmission?)?

$25k seems kind of high unless you're sourcing a brand new engine from Toyota. A used replacement engine swap is about $15-17k in the US, I think. Indycole had a hydrolocked engine and while his was actually covered by insurance IIRC the dealership repair bill was around $15k. They sourced a used 5.7 from a wrecked vehicle with maybe 50k on it, IIRC.

The only issue IMO is you can't actually drive the vehicle to know what else might be wrong. Did the transmission, transfer case, diffs, etc get a bunch of water in it and then sit and start rusting? If the engine is seized it could be from someone who tried to drive through a river that was too deep, and they not only seized the engine but filled the vehicle with water - and that damage to connectors and other electronics might not just up until the corrosion really takes hold.

so, I have blown my engine. No lights, no noise, but overheated and engine is toast. Has anybody replaced an engine and what was the outcome. I’m worried about putting 15k into this engine and just continuing to have problems. Please share your thoughts and or opinions. The only engine available is a donor with 80k miles. $8k engine, $4k labor, and $3k in other parts (water pump, radiator, fluids, etc)

so, I have blown my engine. No lights, no noise, but overheated and engine is toast. Has anybody replaced an engine and what was the outcome. I’m worried about putting 15k into this engine and just continuing to have problems. Please share your thoughts and or opinions. The only engine available is a donor with 80k miles. $8k engine, $4k labor, and $3k in other parts (water pump, radiator, fluids, etc)
See above post. Indycole had this done. It was about $15k. Good luck

Really only you know if you are okay with putting 15k into your LC. I'd suggest looking around at the cost to replace it and if a 200 is what you want to keep.

Also, Maybe start your own thread rather than putting the same post into 3 different ones.

Just went through this with my “cheap” Tundra. I paid 4k for the engine and did the swap myself in the garage over a long weekend. Indy shop wanted 2200 labor.

All things considered, 5.7 is not a bad engine to swap. Accessing the torque converter bolts was interesting. Book time was 22 hours. I did it in 17 enjoying the journey, not rushing to the destination. I left the entire harness in the truck. If they tell you the rest of the drivetrain has to be pulled, go elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom