FJ60 Alternator help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So here's the story......

I have a 83 FJ60, alternator quit charging. It is a aftermarket reman from years ago when i bought the truck. After hours of research, and trying to decode how manufacturers decide on the "clock" position of the voltage regulator, i decided i would just buy another one vs rebuild the reman that i already have. I ordered one from Rock auto, Pure energy 14340. I pulled it out of the box and it looks nothing like the old one. No replaceable voltage regulator, pig tail conversion harness, and shaft for pulley is smaller. So i sent it back.

I then decided I would just rebuild the reman that I already have. Ordered bearings, brushes, voltage regulator. No signs of visible failure. Reinstalled back into truck and no dice. Put out 9 volts and then nothing.

So, out of frustration i go down the rabbit hole again. O'reillys can get one, but its 2 weeks out and may or may not be the correct one. Found one at autozone but looks nothing like their pic on the website, no replaceable voltage regulator.

Now I am really frustrated........................I then decide i would take a shot at ordering the other one from Rock auto, Pure energy 14315. I thought maybe its subjective on the position of the voltage regulator with aftermarket remans ( i.e looking from the front or back side of the alternator). Nope, it looks exactly like the other one i ordered, just different number.

From what I understand looking at the back of the alternator dictates the position of the voltage regulator. Making the correct one i need in the 2 o'clock position.

Can anyone confirm any reman alternators that are correct for the FJ60? None of the ones that I am finding look anything like the original.

I got one prime Rockauto. Pulley was different so I swapped the old one over. Voltage regulator is internal so you don’t see it. Pig tail conversion harness works fine.

I suggest you talk to @ToyotaMatt he can set you up with the proper alternator.

i carry BOTH CLOCK positions

why ?

after years of not knowing this ?

i bought a old old beck arnly application guide at a auction

oil cooler equipped or NON oil cooler equipped option 2F

it all makes so much sense now

I have a 83 FJ60, alternator quit charging. It is a aftermarket reman from years ago when i bought the truck. After hours of research, and trying to decode how manufacturers decide on the "clock" position of the voltage regulator, i decided i would just buy another one vs rebuild the reman that i already have. I ordered one from Rock auto, Pure energy 14340. I pulled it out of the box and it looks nothing like the old one. No replaceable voltage regulator, pig tail conversion harness, and shaft for pulley is smaller. So i sent it back.

I then decided I would just rebuild the reman that I already have. Ordered bearings, brushes, voltage regulator. No signs of visible failure. Reinstalled back into truck and no dice. Put out 9 volts and then nothing.

So, out of frustration i go down the rabbit hole again. O'reillys can get one, but its 2 weeks out and may or may not be the correct one. Found one at autozone but looks nothing like their pic on the website, no replaceable voltage regulator.

Now I am really frustrated........................I then decide i would take a shot at ordering the other one from Rock auto, Pure energy 14315. I thought maybe its subjective on the position of the voltage regulator with aftermarket remans ( i.e looking from the front or back side of the alternator). Nope, it looks exactly like the other one i ordered, just different number.

From what I understand looking at the back of the alternator dictates the position of the voltage regulator. Making the correct one i need in the 2 o'clock position.

Can anyone confirm any reman alternators that are correct for the FJ60? None of the ones that I am finding look anything like the original.

I got one prime Rockauto. Pulley was different so I swapped the old one over. Voltage regulator is internal so you don’t see it. Pig tail conversion harness works fine.

Have 1 no-oil cooler 2F

And 3 oil cooler option YES

Please see below

These are all hand assembled using NOS parts by me personally in-house at the SKUNK Works Lab here at shop

All are then bench tested my local denso heavy duty shop on a old skool amp draw machine

Nothing but TOP Shelf here …

All come with a nos new voltage regulator also

Fyi

Thabks

6FD25E71-215A-4856-8CFF-EA74232B680A.jpeg
DA8E3E83-FF2C-4B4D-B561-68C4406E3644.jpeg
36C3F72D-43BC-4552-A46F-AB9A933FDB82.jpeg
A6775437-D403-426E-A572-285F035CFB73.jpeg

F218E09F-808D-4FEA-9113-281E65405EB5.jpeg

A11CEE26-6159-4B85-A693-C9190C550325.jpeg

watch MY You tube channel TECH video please

i will help you make the CORRECT oem parts decision

solid !

Or

- maybe a SUPER HIGH OUTPUT AMPs NON-USA far Away NEW UNIT is a better idea ?

- only a NOS Genuine
NipponDenso JAPAN UNIT Satisfies me ............. :cool:

7142713484435816968_1 - Copy (3)12.png

Wait..... cold climate spec alternators?????

INDEED ................... 🥶 🥶 ❄️ ❄️

- Cold Climate Spec.

-
Arctic Spec.

-
Frigid ZONE

- ANY STATE in the YANKEE UNION that shares the / a border with CANADA received Frigid ZONE / ARCTIC Spe. / Cold. Climate

Destination Market Package Equipped Land Cruisers FJ60 8/80 - 9/87 .........

- FJ60 w 2F was only offered from 8/80 - 7/81 FJ60LG-KK models , they were quickly replaced by our beloved BJ60's .....

- i can Chatty-Matty about the Frigid Cold Spec. / ARCTIC Package 86120-90A05 AM / FM Factor Fujitsu TEN Radios , but ill save it

for later this evening when all the NON- believers start to
congregate ..........

@ToyotaMatt So the cold-spec stuff was for Canada only then? You said "...then we got our beloved BJ60" - the BJ60 was not available in the US, only Canada, right?

Now you've got me asking a lot of questions - what else was part of the cold weather package? how were the alternators different? Etc, etc

I love it when ToyotaMatt just makes stuff up.

There no such things as a Cold-Spec alternator for Canada or for the “cold states” that border Canada.

:lol:

The highest amp rating for any 12v alternator for the North American market was always 55A. BJ60/FJ60. Don’t matter. Part numbers are different but the amps stay the same at 55A.

This is true pretty much globally as well.

24v iterations actually received smaller amperage alternators (30-40A).

To the OP, do yourself a favor and go to the classified section and put a wanted ad for an original used 2f alternator. They can be rebuilt and are much more reliable than aftermarket. If your 60 is a daily driver and you need it to not be down for weeks, then my advice is to buy 2 of them. Install one and take the other to a reliable alternator shop to have it rebuilt. Then you will be ready if and when you need it. If you have all kinds of aftermarket accessories and need more amperage disregard this advice and get a mean green or other high output alternator.

Hell, the old school rebuild ahop that did my alternator took the 65A guts of an FJ62 alternator and stuffed it in the housing of a 55A FJ60 unit. 10 extra amps haha!

@ToyotaMatt So the cold-spec stuff was for Canada only then? You said "...then we got our beloved BJ60" - the BJ60 was not available in the US, only Canada, right?

Now you've got me asking a lot of questions - what else was part of the cold weather package? how were the alternators different? Etc, etc

when i refer to " Then WE got our beloved BJ60 " , i am speaking from the naturally extremely purist based mind set approach over stimulated point of a

ANY Destination Market on planet earth LAND CRUISER modle and ALL TOYOTA brand vehicles , i DO not discriminate ........

ALL TEq 's are created equal in my special little JIS world ............ :D

- i guess i need to answer your questions above here too ? :poof:

- correct , CANADA ONLY and various NON usa , non north American countries also , Europe , Scandinavia etc ..

- Cold Weather package is a good Summery TERM , i like it .... 🥶

- Toyota used each of the 3 designations terms at various era's in the late 70's and all thu the 1980's into the 1990's too

- they finally seamed to settle on the FRIGID ZONE phrase or words for the remaining time there were different climate models being produced like that .....

- now in 2022 and since like the late 1998 -99 era ALL Toyota USA vehicles are simply cold spec heavy duty modle's i guess a streamline of modle's is way way way like WAY lower cost to produce ?

- im surprised nobody else has chimed in here with any related input or the like ?

- i have to wrap up my SKUNK WORKs day now , shop and LAB are well ....................CRAP Everywhere status 😰

-
ill leave a little home work assignment for a bit of FRIGID ZONE related R & D phun .🤣

1642810075371.png

jdm_genuine_toyota_snow_version_decal_1521443929_858c155c.jpg

s-l1600 (21).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom