What is the best way to get some really stubborn surface rust off? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am getting ready to prep the inside for some liner, and I want to clean it up.

I can't get this rust off. Any tips?

Keep in mind an angle grinder with a flap disc will remove material and thin the metal. You need to be very careful. Maybe a cup wire wheel would be slightly less aggressive. I stripped my floor with mostly different size polycarbonate wheels on my drill. It was work but efficient in paint removal. It doesn't really remove metal. It did knock down rust spots. I also used cup wire wheels and whatever else I could think of in tight and rusty spots. Then rust converter, then 2 coats of rustoleum brushed on.

20210221_212420.jpg

Last edited:
Got to agree that total removal better, last time I did it I found normal supermarket vinegar was great!
Apply lots, leave 24-48hrs, it turns the rust to a grey oxidised type mass, then wire or nylon cup brush it all and it comes off great.
Any perforated areas are best cut back aggressively

Vinegar as described above, then use the wire wheel or use 120 - 180 grit flap wheel.
Good Luck!

In past projects I have had some success with a Siphon Feed Abrasive Blaster. My small compressor struggles to keep up. Larger air compressor would certainly help. It does make a mess, so you definitely want to use it outside.

1642705766662.png

I'm curious if anyone here has had any experience with the dustless blaster kits you can use with a pressure washer? I'm thinking of getting one.

Vinegar as described above, then use the wire wheel or use 120 - 180 grit flap wheel.
Good Luck!
x3 for vinegar and elbow grease. If applied repeatedly or soak a part in it, it will remove the rust entirely. I have tried other chemicals but vinegar is cheaper and safer to use.

I'm curious if anyone here has had any experience with the dustless blaster kits you can use with a pressure washer? I'm thinking of getting one.

I've heard they work well, but the flash rust can be hard to deal with if you don't act quickly enough.

They do work well, I recommend a 3500 psi pressure washer and #30 sand. You do have to get it in primer asap. I only do it on hot days to help it dry. I slso use shop air to get all the sand out of the nooks and crannies!( the only downside, and its messy!) another trick is muriatic acid( it works well, but obviously dangerous to use.

x3 for vinegar and elbow grease. If applied repeatedly or soak a part in it, it will remove the rust entirely. I have tried other chemicals but vinegar is cheaper and safer to use.
does it matter if it's just distilled vinegar, or white vinegar?

Last edited:
They do work well, I recommend a 3500 psi pressure washer and #30 sand. You do have to get it in primer asap. I only do it on hot days to help it dry. I slso use shop air to get all the sand out of the nooks and crannies!( the only downside, and its messy!) another trick is muriatic acid( it works well, but obviously dangerous to use.
Muriatic acid is basically magic in removing rust but it’s important to remember to neutralize the acid ASAP after the rust is gone.

Definitely wear googles, thick rubber gloves, and stay upwind of muriatic acid if you’re using it.

Muriatic acid is basically magic in removing rust but it’s important to remember to neutralize the acid ASAP after the rust is gone.

Definitely wear googles, thick rubber gloves, and stay upwind of muriatic acid if you’re using it.
Where can I get muriatic acid? Is it easy to obtain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom