I need some help. My Inside outside door handles not working. How can I open my door to diagnose and repair. 1990 HZJ77. Photo for context (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Since your HZJ77 is the ZX model...I know exactly what you problem is in regards to removing the card. It would be very hard to create a gap on top of the door card with the door closed because the vinyl extends all the way over to the glass. There is really no way to pull it apart from the top from what I remember.

I think for the least amount of risk to damaging your door card, removing the rear seat is the best option, to access from another angle.
Since your HZJ77 is the ZX model...I know exactly what you problem is in regards to removing the card. It would be very hard to create a gap on top of the door card with the door closed because the vinyl extends all the way over to the glass. There is really no way to pull it apart from the top from what I remember.

I think for the least amount of risk to damaging your door card, removing the rear seat is the best option, to access from another angle.
Is there a way to access the door mechanism from behind the panels once the seat is removed. The seat is a folding bench. I’m willing to try anything I can to limit the risk of damaging a part that would be difficult to find and replace.

Hello,

It may be good to remove the rear seat to have more room for working.

Before prying (and praying it does not break) out the door card, remove the plastic door handle. One screw, pull it forward, remove, disconnect the plastic lock. Chances are the control link that opens the door is not secured; in this case, secure the lock, function test and reassemble.

If your truck is a ZX, you must remove the armrest panel as well. Start by removing the power window actuator. Then remove the two screws that hold the armrest in place.

Only then you can pry the door card open. There should be some 10 clips holding it in place.

The door should have a plastic cover, secured with butyl tape. Carefully remove it.

Now you have access to the door lock mechanism. Check links, springs and bolts.

Careful, the inner edges can be sharp and you may end up with cuts.

Juan

Last edited:
Is there a way to access the door mechanism from behind the panels once the seat is removed. The seat is a folding bench. I’m willing to try anything I can to limit the risk of damaging a part that would be difficult to find and replace.
Sorry for my late reply but what Juan said is pretty much what I would have said. I know it seems like a lot of work to remove the rear bench.

Juan did say something I didn't think about which was the control linkage for the door handle itself. Even before you remove the door handle...if the linkage is loose I bet you can feel the difference in comparison to the other doors when pulling on the handle.

The ZX door cards... from my experience you have to start removing from the bottom and then like bump it upward off the door because the top part that goes over the door clips downward onto the door when fully installed. Hope I am making sense. That is why I was saying if you try to pry the top section off first, you will likely damage the card.

Agree with above. If the handles have little resistance/spring back, one of the rods probably popped off and/or the clip broke. Easy $2 fix... if you can get to it.

I know these are on the front doors on 77/76s, but not sure about the rears. They're common in all vehicles.
I'd look on Amazon and see if you can't get an assortment of these things. On our '77 and on my '75s these things seem to have gotten very delicate over the last 25 to 30 years. I also would mention that new lock mechanisms are available. Although I can't imagine that a passenger side rear door would have gotten much use over the years. I bet it's just degredation of those little plastic retainer clips

I'd look on Amazon and see if you can't get an assortment of these things. On our '77 and on my '75s these things seem to have gotten very delicate over the last 25 to 30 years. I also would mention that new lock mechanisms are available. Although I can't imagine that a passenger side rear door would have gotten much use over the years. I bet it's just degredation of those little plastic retainer clips
Once I’m able to get it open, I plan on replacing all the small plastic bits to reduce the risk of this happening again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom