Seat options - Factory 1979-84, CCOT new reclining bucket seats, or other? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I have been wanting to change my front seats out for a while now, PO put some sparco seats in and imo its not the vehicle for them, looks and suspension on a long trip.
I cant seem to find any info on the comfort of the factory seats unless you're super tall. The only pair I have been able to find is from cruiser parts.net seems expensive at $1000. CCOT also has some reclining buckets, but no info really on those either
thanks guys!

I installed Procar “pro 90” seats. They have a good classic look and won’t break the bank.

3B9E4A14-5D78-495E-B7A7-CE2BF4170317.jpeg

Corbeau and Procar both have some nice seats.

Corbeau Baja RS seats.

20211031_135052_50.jpg

A little to race car for me, i think its between the CCOT ones and the procars

You should look and see what Corbeau has, they have a bunch of more OEM looking options. I run those in my wheeler, as they are a lot better at keeping me from sliding around.

those look great, hows is the back height? I'm 5'10" are they comfortable seats?
Very comfortable for driving around town. I don’t do any hard core 4 wheeling. I’m 6’3” and got them for more legroom and adjustability. Everyone who has sat in them like their look and feel.

The 1/79+ are different seat and mounting system. On the 73-78 the passenger seat is actually higher because of the fuel tank under it. 1/79+ while level all the way across the seat can't be lowered as it just all the floor. Have to consider thickness of the seat cushion. Steering wheel diameter is the same 9/72+. So unless your changing steering column or steering wheel have take that into consideration. Already dealing with the steering wheel being off center of the seat. I personally don't want seat that are too tall. The FJ40 hard top offers great vision out the back. Prefer not to have a seat blocking it.

I would go with the Scheelmann seats that @wngrog used in his 78 Mustard project.

Really was considering those however I think I’ll go for the procars temporary so I can budget a few other things like a roofrack that I’d like to do and reupholster the backseats they are significantly cheeper for now anyways.

The 1/79+ are different seat and mounting system. On the 73-78 the passenger seat is actually higher because of the fuel tank under it. 1/79+ while level all the way across the seat can't be lowered as it just all the floor. Have to consider thickness of the seat cushion. Steering wheel diameter is the same 9/72+. So unless your changing steering column or steering wheel have take that into consideration. Already dealing with the steering wheel being off center of the seat. I personally don't want seat that are too tall. The FJ40 hard top offers great vision out the back. Prefer not to have a seat blocking it.
This is going in an 81 bj42 with an aluminum tub so don’t have to worrie about that too much, going to be making my own brackets. Will update when I get the seats… aparently some time in April. No worries since I don’t drive it much in the winter.

This is going in an 81 bj42 with an aluminum tub so don’t have to worrie about that too much, going to be making my own brackets. Will update when I get the seats… aparently some time in April. No worries since I don’t drive it much in the winter.

Is the replacement tub modeled after the 79+? I know some with the E-78 move to a fuel cell under the back floor which opens up all kinds of options for aftermarket seating. 79+ the fuel tanks is under the tub and the floor is right under the seats. That limits options of seat placement. Original seats are just off the floor as far as height without major modifications only option on height is up. OEM seats bottom cushion is not that thick. Nice thick cushy seats puts legs closer to the steering wheel. Thread title is 79-84 seats. Some of the pictures posted are earlier with different options of mounting.

Is the replacement tub modeled after the 79+? I know some with the E-78 move to a fuel cell under the back floor which opens up all kinds of options for aftermarket seating. 79+ the fuel tanks is under the tub and the floor is right under the seats. That limits options of seat placement. Original seats are just off the floor as far as height without major modifications only option on height is up. OEM seats bottom cushion is not that thick. Nice thick cushy seats puts legs closer to the steering wheel. Thread title is 79-84 seats. Some of the pictures posted are earlier with different options of mounting.
Haven’t been able to find any info on the tub the PO did it. it says “peysar built” on the back (would love to know more about it. It has a cubby built in the back. Tank is mounted underneath between cubby and back of seats, haven’t had much experience with factory tubs but should mount similar to 1911‘s post above as the floor is still at the same height as the trans tunnel.

I can't help you out with your tub. All my tubs are stock. I do have a 82 FJ40 tub with some rust I've thought about using to make a hybrid 45 pickup cab to use the 22 1/2 fuel tank and late model FJ45 bench seat. Would also make adding an H55F much easier. Just need the time.

I can't help you out with your tub. All my tubs are stock. I do have a 82 FJ40 tub with some rust I've thought about using to make a hybrid 45 pickup cab to use the 22 1/2 fuel tank and late model FJ45 bench seat. Would also make adding an H55F much easier. Just need the time.
That’s great, I’ve been thinking about adding an H55 to mine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom