I need some help. My Inside outside door handles not working. How can I open my door to diagnose and repair. 1990 HZJ77. Photo for context (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
26ADD1F5-82B3-4025-A97C-7734F2325521.jpeg

if it is the middle doors ( not sure how else to label them ) check to see if the child safety locks are on. Ypou shouod be able to see the little tab from onside if you look in between the door and the jamb near the latch. This is what happened to my Hilux when the clip broke and the outside handle wouldnt work.

Sorry, not an answer to your question but I wanted to say i like those stripes on your 77..

7BBCBB3A-5EEB-4F6C-9236-4BF1B0B51721.jpeg

if it is the middle doors ( not sure how else to label them ) check to see if the child safety locks are on. Ypou shouod be able to see the little tab from onside if you look in between the door and the jamb near the latch. This is what happened to my Hilux when the clip broke and the outside handle wouldnt work.
It’s the rear seat passenger door on the Left

The inner door card is clipped to the door.
Safest way to get it off without damage is a special plastik tool to pray it off.
Here is an example (sorry, German, but you get the idea).
Angebot: Auto Demontage Werkzeuge, Phyles 14 Stück Auto Zierleistenkeile-Set Automotive Reparatur Werkzeug Universal für Entfernung Autotür Türverkleidung und Platten, Rot Amazon product ASIN B07B7F5T8DBut can also be carefully done with a spattle covered with masking tape.
Once you have access to the mechanism you may post a pic and we can discuss how to proceed.
Ralf

Safest way to get it off without damage is a special plastik tool to pray it off.
Angebot: Auto Demontage Werkzeuge, Phyles 14 Stück Auto Zierleistenkeile-Set Automotive Reparatur Werkzeug Universal für Entfernung Autotür Türverkleidung und Platten, Rot Amazon product ASIN B07B7F5T8DBut can also be carefully done with a spattle covered with masking tape.
Once you have access to the mechanism you may post a pic and we can discuss how to proceed.
Ralf
I think you need to "pry" it off but sometimes it helps to pray at the same time! :)

RalfIt
Ralf
Thanks, I’m going to try to pull the top of the card to access the mechanism. When I do, I’ll post pix.

Don't bend the door card too much. They aren't overly fragile but the backboard will definitely break if you bend it very far. You should detach a minimum of two sides. The mechanism isn't overly complicated. You probably just have one of the rods loose from its connection.

Also a posting tip. When you use "reply", keep your comments below the quoted post. That way we can read them easier.

Is the door lock actuator on the inside not moving completely to the unlock position? Even if you force it, does it not quite move all the way, and slip back as soon as you take pressure off? I have seen that a few times on the '80s and I would expect the mechanism in your rig to be the same.

If that is what it is doing, then the return spring in the lock mechanism has broken and gravity is pulling the linkage down and preventing it from unlocking.

Lower the window to get more room to work. Pull the outside trim strip across the bottom of the window opening if you can (give you more room to work). You can look down and see what moves when you work the rood handles/locks. You should see the broken spring and where it attaches. You can fit a screwdriver, or a hacksaw blade down there to manipulate the linkage to allow the door to be opened.

You can repair it with a larger/longer/generic spring attached to any sort of anchor point that looks good to you and never worry about it again.

IF that is what has happened. There is a very good chance that is what it is.

Mark...

Don't bend the door card too much. They aren't overly fragile but the backboard will definitely break if you bend it very far. You should detach a minimum of two sides. The mechanism isn't overly complicated. You probably just have one of the rods loose from its connection.

Also a posting tip. When you use "reply", keep your comments below the quoted post. That way we can read them easier.
Thanks, my concern is, with the door closed most of the door card is up against the body and there is no way to pull it clear. I will have to pull the top of the card (carefully) and work the mechanism from there. Once I get the door open, I can fully remove the card to make the repair.

Agree with above. If the handles have little resistance/spring back, one of the rods probably popped off and/or the clip broke. Easy $2 fix... if you can get to it.

I know these are on the front doors on 77/76s, but not sure about the rears. They're common in all vehicles.
Had one snap on my Tundra's rear gate. That was a fun fix with a tonneau cover...
Might look something like this:

Kalili-20-Pieces-Auto-Universal-Plastic-Door-Round-head-Lock-Rod-Clip-Side-Fasteners-Retainers-Car.jpg

Is the door lock actuator on the inside not moving completely to the unlock position? Even if you force it, does it not quite move all the way, and slip back as soon as you take pressure off? I have seen that a few times on the '80s and I would expect the mechanism in your rig to be the same.

If that is what it is doing, then the return spring in the lock mechanism has broken and gravity is pulling the linkage down and preventing it from unlocking.

Lower the window to get more room to work. Pull the outside trim strip across the bottom of the window opening if you can (give you more room to work). You can look down and see what moves when you work the rood handles/locks. You should see the broken spring and where it attaches. You can fit a screwdriver, or a hacksaw blade down there to manipulate the linkage to allow the door to be opened.

You can repair it with a larger/longer/generic spring attached to any sort of anchor point that looks good to you and never worry about it again.

IF that is what has happened. There is a very good chance that is what it is.

Mark...

It seems like the door locking mechanism is working ok. This model has an electric lock unlock button and when I lock unlock the drivers door. When I do so, the lock tab moves without issue. I think when the outside handle was replaced, the rods that operate the mechanism might have become dislodged. I’ll continue to work the issue. I’ll get it solved. I’m not a super strong mechanic , but when you drive a 30 year old LC, you have to learn. I reach out to those who are more experienced than I (all of you) for your input. For that I am grateful

Since your HZJ77 is the ZX model...I know exactly what you problem is in regards to removing the card. It would be very hard to create a gap on top of the door card with the door closed because the vinyl extends all the way over to the glass. There is really no way to pull it apart from the top from what I remember.

I think for the least amount of risk to damaging your door card, removing the rear seat is the best option, to access from another angle.

It seems like the door locking mechanism is working ok. This model has an electric lock unlock button and when I lock unlock the drivers door. When I do so, the lock tab moves without issue. I think when the outside handle was replaced, the rods that operate the mechanism might have become dislodged. I’ll continue to work the issue. I’ll get it solved. I’m not a super strong mechanic , but when you drive a 30 year old LC, you have to learn. I reach out to those who are more experienced than I (all of you) for your input. For that I am grateful

I would still approach it through the top, along side the window glass. You should be able to see down to the linkages and get a tool in there to manipulate whatever you need to move to get the door to unlatch and open. Then you can remove the interior door panel to work on it . I am not as familiar with the 70 series interiors, but I do not believe that the interior door panel can be removed with the door closed without damaging it.

Mark...

Good luck with the top down approach. Perhaps for this kind of work, a cheap endoscope from Amazon will help you evaluate the situation before you start tearing into things. They are usually $30 bucks or a bit more. I have been happy with mine many times over.

Amazon product ASIN B01MYTHWK4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom