'88 FJ62 V8 Swap using Stock Auto Transmission (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, it looks like Advance Adapters is now making a small block chevy adapter to the stock Toyota automatic transmission. Seems this would be a simpler install to go to a V8 small block not having to use transfer case adapters, adapt shifter linkage, modify drive shafts, etc. Any thoughts, comments or suggestions to this setup?

Where do you see that adapter on Advance Adapter's site? I cannot find it.

The main issues are going to be:
1) Shift pressure calibration. The A440F is a "medium duty" transmission designed for trucks, but it has been calibrated to shift very smoothly and softly behind the relatively weak 3FE or 1FZ. A V8 will likely toast the clutches very quickly without valvebody work. A diesel valvebody might get you the holding power you need.

2) Shift points. The 3FE isn't a particularly high revving engine - most small blocks rev higher. The transmission will likely short-shift your engine in most applications. This problem would likely be made worse if you swapped a diesel valvebody.

I wouldn't say either one of these problems are insurmountable, but it would definitely take a lot of valvebody fiddling to get right. It's also entirely possible the A440 would just never be able to reliably hold the power of a V8 as-shipped by Toyota. That's why most people just use the GM transmission instead.

An example of this: A friend of my mine swapped a Toyota 1UZ V8 into his Jeep. It turns out Jeep uses the same Aisin transmission as the Tundra and Lexus LS400, and you just have to swap the Tundra or LS400 bell housing on to the Jeep transmission. Well, it worked, except WOT shifts were terrible. You could tell the transmission really struggled to grab the next gear. We ended up having to put a shift kit in it, and it was fine after that.

Last edited:
Where do you see that adapter on Advance Adapter's site? I cannot find it.

The main issues are going to be:
1) Shift pressure calibration. The A440F is a "medium duty" transmission designed for trucks, but it has been calibrated to shift very smoothly and softly behind the relatively weak 3FE or 1FZ. A V8 will likely toast the clutches very quickly without valvebody work. A diesel valvebody might get you the holding power you need.

2) Shift points. The 3FE isn't a particularly high revving engine - most small blocks rev higher. The transmission will likely short-shift your engine in most applications. This problem would likely be made worse if you swapped a diesel valvebody.

I wouldn't say either one of these problems are insurmountable, but it would definitely take a lot of valvebody fiddling to get right. It's also entirely possible the A440 would just never be able to reliably hold the power of a V8 as-shipped by Toyota. That's why most people just use the GM transmission instead.

An example of this: A friend of my mine swapped a Toyota 1UZ V8 into his Jeep. It turns out Jeep uses the same Aisin transmission as the Tundra and Lexus LS400, and you just have to swap the Tundra or LS400 bell housing on to the Jeep transmission. Well, it worked, except WOT shifts were terrible. You could tell the transmission really struggled to grab the next gear. We ended up having to put a shift kit in it, and it was fine after that.
Go to the Advance Adapter Web Site and click "Adapters" and then click "Engine to transmission adapters". Choose the transmission FIRST (toyota automatic) then click engines and it will list the Chevy small blocks, Chevy 4.3 V6 and a Ford engine. The adapter will not work on a LS. If you go LS, it's both engine and transmission with a Transfer case adapter. What would be your thoughts on the 4.3 V6 with stock toyota automatic? Thanks so much for your time and input. I have had the FJ since 1989. They will probably bury me in it.

What a goofy adapter that is, clever, but goofy.

What would be the advantage of the GM 4.3 V6? The vast majority of them are 155-165 HP @ 4000 RPM. Essentially the same power and torque as the 3FE. The last of the 4.3s were around 195HP, but $1450 + engine seems like a lot of money to spend to gain only 40HP?

What a goofy adapter that is, clever, but goofy.

What would be the advantage of the GM 4.3 V6? The vast majority of them are 155-165 HP @ 4000 RPM. Essentially the same power and torque as the 3FE. The last of the 4.3s were around 195HP, but $1450 + engine seems like a lot of money to spend to gain only 40HP?
True statement. Alot to think about. Looks like the Small block with a 4L60e is the best or a better choice. Or just rebuild the stock engine. Hey, it gave me about 400,000 miles without any major problems. Again, thanks for your advice.

True statement. Alot to think about. Looks like the Small block with a 4L60e is the best or a better choice. Or just rebuild the stock engine. Hey, it gave me about 400,000 miles without any major problems. Again, thanks for your advice.
If your going to keep your cruiser a long time, then it's worth shelling out the 30k at a good shop for a LS swap. It will make the cruiser more useful with its additional power and will last you a long time. A good swap also increases vehicle value.

I am talking to Daniel at TLC4x4 on the swap. Meeting him next week in Harrisburg, NC. Willing to spend the money for a good job. You have been so helpful. Much appreciated.

A couple of observations. I'd skip the SBC and go straight to the LS series. The main reason is that the technology is far more advanced and it is a stronger platform overall. In regard to the trans, don't even consider the Toyota trans with the GM motor, the reasons stated above are spot on. If you are planning to use a 4L60E skip it and go to the 4L65E. It is an upgraded version and is available in a Connect & Cruise package. I have used this trans many times without issue.

LS/Vortec + 4l60e into a FJ62 is a breeze as far as swaps go honestly. Keep transfer and crossmember in stock location with my motor mount kit, bolt up your shifters with my kit, plug in the transmission with my wiring, Mosely Motors hose kits, etc Almost as if we are working towards a complete swap kit here. :hmm:

LS/Vortec + 4l60e into a FJ62 is a breeze as far as swaps go honestly. Keep transfer and crossmember in stock location with my motor mount kit, bolt up your shifters with my kit, plug in the transmission with my wiring, Mosely Motors hose kits, etc Almost as if we are working towards a complete swap kit here. :hmm:
Looked at your web site & not seeing some of the parts in your post. Do you sell complete LS/ 4L65e swap kits?

Looked at your web site & not seeing some of the parts in your post. Do you sell complete LS/ 4L65e swap kits?

Not a complete kit at this time. I have a few parts I designed to make the swaps easier for shops like mine that do a lot of conversions as well as DIYers. I should have a online store with all of my product offerings in the next few weeks. That being said if you are considering using TLC4x4 as your shop they will want to use all of their own stuff.

Not a complete kit at this time. I have a few parts I designed to make the swaps easier for shops like mine that do a lot of conversions as well as DIYers. I should have a online store with all of my product offerings in the next few weeks. That being said if you are considering using TLC4x4 as your shop they will want to use all of their own stuff.
Let me know when you start getting complete kits together. I'm interested as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom