5.3L Powered Truck Pulls To the Right When I Let Go Of The Accelerator and Left When I Accelerate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I took my truck out on a 600 mile trip while pulling my homemade off-road trailer and started to notice that my truck would pull right when I would release the accelerator at highway speed‘s and then as soon as I accelerate it again it would pull to the right. 2.5” Ironman lift is about 1 year old. My son was following behind me in his FJC an he said he notice that my truck looked like it was riding at a little bit of an “angle”. When we got home I unhooked the trailer and took it out for a drive and it was still doing the same thing

What should be looking at/for?

Does it coast in neutral straight?
If the pulling happens only when the driveshaft is under torsion one way or another, it “seems” that the rear wheels aren’t getting power (or deceleration) evenly.

What could cause that?
Power to the rear wheels is transmitted through the differential gears …
I’m not saying that the diff is def the problem. but something screwy is going on.

Last edited:
Any chance the rear axle is not on the leaf spring center bolts, or one rear leafs is on backwards?
I had an old power wagon that had one incorrect shorter length rear leaf spring pack. It went down the road sideways, the axle being crooked to one side under the truck. I didn’t notice a pull but it was an overloaded slant 6 so may not have provided power enough to notice it, like your 5.3 could
Just a thought

Does it have a rear Detroit?

torque steer??

Does it coast in neutral straight?
If the pulling happens only when the driveshaft is under torsion one way or another, it “seems” that the rear wheels aren’t getting power (or deceleration) evenly.

What could cause that?
Power to the rear wheels is transmitted through the differential gears …
I’m not saying that the diff is def the problem. but something screwy is going on.

I will take out for another drive to check for pull while in neutral

Any chance the rear axle is not on the leaf spring center bolts, or one rear leafs is on backwards?
I had an old power wagon that had one incorrect shorter length rear leaf spring pack. It went down the road sideways, the axle being crooked to one side under the truck. I didn’t notice a pull but it was an overloaded slant 6 so may not have provided power enough to notice it, like your 5.3 could
Just a thought

I need to get under the truck to check for center bolt to spring alignment. I don’t believe the leafs are backwards since it came pre-assembled from Ironman but I guess anything is possible

Does it have a rear Detroit?

No, but it does have an Aussie locker

torque steer??
I googled what this means and it seems to mainly happen on front wheel drive

Aussie locker will do it....

Aussie locker will do it....

Aussie locker has always "rocked" the truck but I have never noticed the steering pull as much as it did this weekend, I had several pucker moments driving at 60mph on a couple of IH35 construction zones with a semi or car on one side and a concrete barrier on the other, too close to either for my comfort.

How old is the locker/how long has it been installed.

Thinking that’s your issue.

I have definitely found the torque steer from the lockers to increase when engine torque increases.. in your case double the original torque

Matt, locker is probably 15 years old but about half of that time, the truck sat dead in my driveway

Needs a 2F swap. Sorry. 😂
Hind sight is 20/20 @HemiAlex, while I love the power of the 5.3, I have had multiple issues/headaches/$$$$ with the conversion, I would not do it again

This isn’t where I expected that comment to go.

Best of luck getting it resolved.

Matt, locker is probably 15 years old but about half of that time, the truck sat dead in my driveway

Swap the locker out for some spider gears and see if it fixes it.

I wouldnt be suprised if some of the smaller locker pins/springs are sitting on the floor of the housing.

Definitely have a fresh crosspin ready (you should have a spare crosspin with the truck regardless)

My locker torque steer on the highway was definitely exacerbated when i swapped the 5.3 in. My case was almost always when shifting from 3rd to 4th.

Swap the locker out for some spider gears and see if it fixes it.

I wouldnt be suprised if some of the smaller locker pins/springs are sitting on the floor of the housing.

Definitely have a fresh crosspin ready (you should have a spare crosspin with the truck regardless)

My locker torque steer on the highway was definitely exacerbated when i swapped the 5.3 in. My case was almost always when shifting from 3rd to 4th.
@cruisermatt , I know very little in how to work on the third members, would it be better to just remove the locker?

This isn’t where I expected that comment to go.

Best of luck getting it resolved.

If I were to do it again, 2F with H55

Does it only happen when you are towing trailer? If your truck is fine by itself I'd borrow/rent another trailer and see if the behavior is the same. If another trailer tows fine I'd focus on the trailer.

disregard....missed last line on first readthrough.

If I were to do it again, 2F with H55
I’ve got one in my 60 and I’m doing the same in my 62.

It’s been so boring that I don’t even give them a second thought.

I bought a 5.3 thinking I had blown my 2F. Needless to say, I’m selling the 5.3 and the 2F is happy. False alarm.

@cruisermatt , I know very little in how to work on the third members, would it be better to just remove the locker?

You don’t have to pull the third, just the diff cover. Its not terribly difficult.

Yes you are replacing the locker with regular open spider gears. Opposite of installing the locker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom