Looking to buy my first 80 series, could use some opinions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm in high school and have been wanting to get into the 80 series platform because I've been a fan for a while. I've been looking around for a few weeks now and have come across a lot but this one stuck out with the price($7500), miles(196, XXX), and cleanliness. In order to buy this car, id has to sell my 06' Subaru Legacy which is a great reliable daily and this LC would become my daily driver and only car. I'm wondering if it's really worth the risk of the maintenance cost, which I'm willing to wrench myself but being in high school is it worth the cost and possible headache of not knowing what I'm getting into to the full extent? The guy has it listed for $7500 OBO, and I received pictures of the undercarriage which does have rust, noting looking to be catastrophic, it's a 3-hour drive to go take a look in person so I'm wondering if this is just a possible bullet I should dodge now. He noted that it needs "a little TLC and it will be in daily condition"Any feedback is appreciated! View attachment 2895806View attachment 2895807View attachment 2895808View attachment 2895809View attachment 2895810View attachment 2895811View attachment 2895812

So I'm in high school and have been wanting to get into the 80 series platform because I've been a fan for a while. I've been looking around for a few weeks now and have come across a lot but this one stuck out with the price($7500), miles(196, XXX), and cleanliness. In order to buy this car, id has to sell my 06' Subaru Legacy which is a great reliable daily and this LC would become my daily driver and only car. I'm wondering if it's really worth the risk of the maintenance cost, which I'm willing to wrench myself but being in high school is it worth the cost and possible headache of not knowing what I'm getting into to the full extent? The guy has it listed for $7500 OBO, and I received pictures of the undercarriage which does have rust, noting looking to be catastrophic, it's a 3-hour drive to go take a look in person so I'm wondering if this is just a possible bullet I should dodge now. He noted that it needs "a little TLC and it will be in daily condition"Any feedback is appreciated! View attachment 2895806View attachment 2895807View attachment 2895808View attachment 2895809View attachment 2895810View attachment 2895811View attachment 2895812
Log into Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/254726063465404/?ref=saved&referral_code=null <Link to listing

Since you mentioned cost, I assume you are not rolling in cash from your parents or other. Financially, I say you should stay with a more affordable DD vehicle for fuel and maintenance costs at such a point in your life. 🙂
Yeah most definitely not rolling in cash, I work for my own things. Surely the logical and wise answer and one my parents would agree with. Maybe this is a idea for me later in life when I can actually comfortably afford it. Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah most definitely not rolling in cash, I work for my own things. Surely the logical and wise answer and one my parents would agree with. Maybe this is a idea for me later in life when I can actually comfortably afford it. Thanks for the feedback.
To be on the reasonable side...
Expect to spend the same amount to get it back to DD reliability. Could be a bit less, or a LOT more.
Ask me how I know.

It’s marked sold now and less than 3hrs from time you posted so I imagine the hunt is still on?

Looks like a clean example of an earlier 3fe powered 80. ESP for PA.

They take a fair amount of money in gas alone. And parts as well until you’ve sorted one out.

For a high school student, particularly if you're about to go to college, you might want to keep the reliable Subaru with much better gas mileage for now.

On the other hand, if you like to wrench, can afford the gasoline, and have a few thousand spare dollars to fix the usual items that need fixing, the 80 is a great vehicle.

As you just learned, you have to jump on these quickly and have cash on hand, don't even think of asking someone to hold it for you, in the two hours it would take you to drive to the bank and get back to the seller with cash someone else will offer him $1000 more and buy it out from under you.

Haha i daily mine and prefer it. It is also my nice going to town car. You work for what get so i recommend you wait for a deal that will get you in the position of And in place of Or when it comes to cars. You will have a lot going on with school and work, you don't want to miss it them having to fix your ride. An 80 is more fun when you aren't stressed over it.

As you just learned, you have to jump on these quickly and have cash on hand, don't even think of asking someone to hold it for you, in the two hours it would take you to drive to the bank and get back to the seller with cash someone else will offer him $1000 more and buy it out from under you.
Lol I can't seem to give mine away. I've been "holding" it for weeks now. I wouldn't want anyone else to buy into all the hype and get underwater on one of these like I have.

After taking the plunge over the summer, I would not advise anyone to buy a J80 Land Cruiser as a DD. They're really only suited to off-road/classic car enthusiasts who have plenty of money.

Keep the Legacy and tale care of it.

Because of all the out of production parts and simply that it's a 25 year old plus vehicle? Would love to hear some of your insight on that considering that I picked up a 97 LC to build up as a daily. I have an LX450 for 18 years and she was the one vehicle that never let me down ever, but admittedly I was the first owner and babied it....

Because of all the out of production parts and simply that it's a 25 year old plus vehicle? Would love to hear some of your insight on that considering that I picked up a 97 LC to build up as a daily. I have an LX450 for 18 years and she was the one vehicle that never let me down ever, but admittedly I was the first owner and babied it....
Well yea those factors you mentioned certainly don't help its case as a reliable daily driver. But to be fair if you've got the coin saved it's usually still cheaper to make it reliable with new parts rather than go out and buy a new TRD PRO 4runner.

Especially a lot of the Pre-'95s are getting to a point where they just need full restorations. Interestingly, the values have been steadily increasing -- almost enough to make it cost-effective to restore one.

I hope you have couple hundred a month budgeted for gas and maintenance.
These things ain't cheap to run.
And give your insurance agent a shout. In SC my insurance just for the LX is more than the mini van and Camry combined. OUCH!

I DD mine and while you won't need that couple of hundred a month every month, every year you'll need something that's gonna be expensive, count on it!

I drive two 80's, when one is down for maintenance I hop in the other,
but it's not cheap to keep them both fed, spent $3500 in parts in the past two weeks alone. Then there's the doubling of gasoline prices in the past year which is a frequent reminder of how expensive they are when used as a daily driver.

I daily drove my 94 for 5 years or more. My up front costs to do a proper baseline where more than some of my legendry bar bills but when averaged over the 5 years it probably was less than $100 month. I always kept a $5K float tucked away as a contingency but I ended up spending a portion of that each year on things like bumpers & sliders and lifts. Bought it for $1500 and sold it for north of $30K. Quite possible the best automotive investments I ever made.

After taking the plunge over the summer, I would not advise anyone to buy a J80 Land Cruiser as a DD. They're really only suited to off-road/classic car enthusiasts who have plenty of money.

Keep the Legacy and tale care of it.

Classic car? s*** my hdj81 is my second newest rig and my DD. I think maybe you're soft or projecting.

As a high school kid, no way I'd recommend one as a dd unless you have help with the bills.

My daughter's dd is a 66 f100 with a sbf but I pay for fuel and insurance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom