Builds Portland Troopy Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It’s been a while since I’ve posted.

This is a life update more than anything else.

I worked from home for 16 months or so during the pandemic and really enjoyed it. My employer called everyone back into the office in April. I reluctantly returned to the office and pretty much immediately put my house up for sale. It sold in 3 days way over asking price and I then gave notice at work. I “moved” back to Arkansas in July (hot as hell) and worked remotely while they found someone to fill my position. It took them a while but long story I’ll be unemployed 12/1. No home. No job. Planned it this way but scary all the same.

So this is it I guess. I plan to be in Mexico after the first of the year living out of the Troopy and from there will likely continue the drive south. I have no idea where I may end up…….

The pic is from the place where I’m staying at a friends farm in W Ark.

View attachment 2834529
Good on ya! Please keep this updated... would love to tag along vicariously through your updates.

Wow. Awesome. Good luck! I've fantasized often about doing this same thing, but don't have the cajones to follow through. What did you do with all your 'stuff' when you sold your house? give it away, sell it or stuff it in storage? I'm a bit of a hoarder and haven't moved in 24 years, so no idea how I'd deal with downsizing and have all my possessions fit into a Troopy.
I got rid of/gave away a lot of my “stuff” and put the rest in storage. I’ll head to portland next week to spend the holidays with my daughter and friends. While I’m there I plan to pare things down even more. One “problem” that I have is I have two other land cruisers in portland. Both very nice; a 40 and a 62. I’ll either need to sell them or find long term, covered storage.

I got rid of/gave away a lot of my “stuff” and put the rest in storage. I’ll head to portland next week to spend the holidays with my daughter and friends. While I’m there I plan to pare things down even more. One “problem” that I have is I have two other land cruisers in portland. Both very nice; a 40 and a 62. I’ll either need to sell them or find long term, covered storage
I sure someone in the Land Cruier Community would help you out with that.
I have a garage you could put one in for light use rights. 😉

""Both very nice; a 40 and a 62""
Umm, you should think about price and post a link to pics of that 40 :)

Heat exchanger from Rixens Enterprises in Sandy, Or going on the troopy today. I’m removing the Elegena boiler as it uses a lot of electricity. Removing it frees up space for additional battery capacity. I plan to go from a 100amp hour lithium to two parallel 100amp hour lithium’s.

Leaving for Mexico on Monday….

10EB3AFD-86BC-4E1F-825C-530C677A9952.jpeg

Opinion on your mixer valve. I've never ran one on my 55, but used one at home (wood heat). The mixer always seemed to have problems keeping the right temp. then not working at all. On my 55 the temp. stays fair enough, but if it gets too hot (shut off truck) and wait a minute before showering, etc.

I just wanted to you to look out for some problems and hassles mixing in cold water with the mixer if you never used one before.

Wish I were tagging along to Baja with you guys.

I have a heat exchanger on my 78 , would not put in a mixer , but depends also if you have a tank to accumulate hot water .
in mine , It takes 7-8 min to heat up 35 L of cold water .

Post up your route to there and while there. 🤙🏼Have fun!

Appreciate hearing your experience on the mixing valve; I’ll watch that as I use it. The initial impression from the parking lot of Rixen‘s is quite positive. I don’t have temps but we filled a 5 gallon bucket with cold water. The water was immediately hot…..too hot for a shower for sure. Turned the mixing valve and was able to quickly regulate the temp To a shower comfortable level.

I’ll be able to use the water from the fresh water tank or with a quick turn of a valve pull from a bucket or external water source. Not super interested in using the 22gl fresh water tank for showers.

Today Rixens put a high altitude kit on the Espar. They told me that without one that the heater carbons up if used for 8 hours or so above 5k feet.

The Elgena boiler was removed which DID free space for another 100amp hour lithium which I ordered today from Battleborn. It’s supposed to arrive in Portland from Reno by Wednesday of next week which will delay my departure to MX by a few days. Totally worth it though for the doubled battery capacity.

I’m not real sure how to post the route but I’ll update here with pics etc.

I appreciate the support of this group…….

I've heard good things about the mixers for home applications. I'm wondering if the problems people are experiencing are from low pressures. The valve works by shunting flow between hot and cold so you want good reliable pressure on both for the flows to be properly regulated. In the house you typically run above 50 psi. Maybe in the car the little 12 v pumps put out less pressure. Did they give any pressure requirements with the mixer?

Did you get your rims on your troopy custom made? I am looking for a similar tire and rim combo for my kzj78. I saw the size in an earlier post 235 85 16 Correct? Do you have any regrets with that tire rim combo? I do know your vehicle and mine are very different but I am curious.

The rims are custom from Stockton Wheel http://stocktonwheel.com/

You have the size correct. No regrets other than I’m now starting to develop a bit of rust on them…..not much but still.

I like the size as the majority of time the truck is on pavement. The Cooper tires are wearing great.

I will ask about the pressure. I seriously doubt they will know. What I can tell you from the initial test was that it worked well. Like a faucet in the house. Not much of a turn immediately changed the temp.

I think I’ll be happy with it.

In another thread I asked about a center console. I think I found a good solution as described below.

The Rixen heat exchanger came with a Plano box that houses the pump, hoses and shower wand. The box fit’s “ perfectly” between the seats. The height allows clearance for the armrests on the Schell seats and it doesn’t interfere with the shifter. I already have cup holders so I didn’t need them in a console box.

Downside is the box would allow a flimsy lock and I may attach it to the body at some point. The fit is so good though that I’m not worried about it moving around.

Today I ordered two empty boxes from Amazon from the links below. They are essentially the same size but one has a lift out tray. I’ll see which one I like the best.
Probably keep the black one as it matches my seats.

I guess the box might not be “perfect” but it’s inexpensive and readily available.

Amazon product ASIN B0029KHB10

Nice!

San Felipe, Mx.

Do your self a favor. Baja.

58187E75-C838-47A2-A8F8-CE522321252B.jpeg

Been in Baja for two months. In Los Barillos now. Next week I’ll ferry to mazatlan from La Paz. Head south to Oaxaca for language school then on to Guatemala. The current plan which is subject to change.

Found a mx welder to make three boxes; two for the roof and another for the small back door. They aren’t perfect but less than $300 usd all in.

I’ve slept in the troopy every night since the end of January….

D38D6341-4C61-4943-A625-92FFEF09CF07.jpeg

Cool. We drove through Oaxaca in 2017 during Halloween. I know several people in Guatemala and Honduras if you need help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom