Search for truth- Front Diff and Oil Pan Exposure Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah, if I pulled that up on a used Toyota/Lexus and saw that...I'd certainly think twice about it no matter how clean.

Maybe drop your truck off Friday for the new engine install at dealer expense.

Did that make it into the carfax or only the Toyota service history?

He may have written it up that way for future warranty denial.

It may slow you down, but I saw much worse than that while looking for my LC. I saw 200's for sale with multiple moderate/severe damage accidents and some/all are no longer listed for sale! Like said above Carmax it!. Some buyers/people don't even look at the carfax/history/ or even look under the vehicle! There was a 2016 200 with 48k on it floating around on Carmax that I test drove. When i looked under the vehicle the whole thing was bright orange with rust! It moved around from carmax to carmax for a while, price never changed, and eventually sold for 68k! It's buyer beware, and some buyers just don't care or don't know any better, that is their problem.

Wow... Pretty tarnished was an understatement- here's what the Toyota tech at the dealer put into the Toyota service record. It's pretty slanderous considering that the truck is running perfect and is all fixed up by that same dealer: "EXTENSIVE DAMAGE TO THE DIFFERENTIAL ASSEMBLY AND UPPER OIL PAN FROM DIFFERENTIAL BEING KNOCKED INTO THE ENGINE. VEHICLE MAY ALSO HAVE INTERNAL ENGINE DAMAGE FROM THE IMPACT."

Can I get this removed from the history?! That's nuts and completely inaccurate. What should be my next step? Call the dealer service department manager and chew him out and have them correct it?
That’s terrible. The speculation about engine damage should be removed since it’s running perfectly. Since I think you’ve decided to go with a 200, I would suggest you run, don’t walk, to the nearest Carmax and have them give you a big check for your truck. Then rent something until you find a 200.

Wow... Pretty tarnished was an understatement- here's what the Toyota tech at the dealer put into the Toyota service record. It's pretty slanderous considering that the truck is running perfect and is all fixed up by that same dealer: "EXTENSIVE DAMAGE TO THE DIFFERENTIAL ASSEMBLY AND UPPER OIL PAN FROM DIFFERENTIAL BEING KNOCKED INTO THE ENGINE. VEHICLE MAY ALSO HAVE INTERNAL ENGINE DAMAGE FROM THE IMPACT."

Can I get this removed from the history?! That's nuts and completely inaccurate. What should be my next step? Call the dealer service department manager and chew him out and have them correct it?
Ok…has your 4runner been fixed already by Toyota? Or is it still waiting for insurance appraisal?

Ok…has your 4runner been fixed already by Toyota? Or is it still waiting for insurance appraisal?
Yeah- truck was repaired at the dealer and I picked it up last weekend. Drove it 150 miles and it runs really really well. I even ran it in 4 hi in a rain storm on the way back. Running like factory new.

I just called the dealer service department to make a stink and they went back and forth with the service manager who claims they will 100% not change the report in the system for "legal reasons". I would think it's the other way around. And they argued with me that it won't cause any issues selling it- I said ok sounds good- I'll sell it back to you guys and I'm calling the sales manager when they get in to get a quote and have him tell the service manager if it has no impact on the value of the truck. I suppose a less aggravating route is to take it to carmax or caravana but they gave me quote online that's pretty much what I owe on the truck. Gahhhh!

I could also just keep it for 20 years...

Yeah- truck was repaired at the dealer and I picked it up last weekend. Drove it 150 miles and it runs really really well. I even ran it in 4 hi in a rain storm on the way back. Running like factory new.

I just called the dealer service department to make a stink and they went back and forth with the service manager who claims they will 100% not change the report in the system for "legal reasons". I would think it's the other way around. And they argued with me that it won't cause any issues selling it- I said ok sounds good- I'll sell it back to you guys and I'm calling the sales manager when they get in to get a quote and have him tell the service manager if it has no impact on the value of the truck. I suppose a less aggravating route is to take it to carmax or caravana but they gave me quote online that's pretty much what I owe on the truck. Gahhhh!

I could also just keep it for 20 years...
I say that you keep your 4runner. Get a nice set of skid plate and never look back. Your 4runner is very capable.

I'm side with the dealer after reading most post. The dealer has obligation to report the damage repair. OP is now posting asking dealer to bulge his way or no way. Trying to manipulate his way to switch vehicle because he don't feel responsible to the damage. Overall, when you take a stock vehicle and wheel it, you should owned it if it's damaged.

I'm side with the dealer after reading most post. The dealer has obligation to report the damage repair. OP is now posting asking dealer to bulge his way or no way. Trying to manipulate his way to switch vehicle because he don't feel responsible to the damage. Overall, when you take a stock vehicle and wheel it, you should owned it if it's damaged.
Well I appreciate your sentiment and interpretation, my view here is that I paid the dealer $9k to repair the truck and when I picked it up they said it checks out 100% and doesn’t have any issues. I agree with that assessment. So, if that’s the case, why would I need to have a statement in the service history that the engine may have internal damage?

I agree that it needs to be there, but it should be facts only. The vehicle service history shouldn't be editorial. It should state the facts, ie:

"Damage to differential assembly and upper oil pan due to impact. Replaced both and checked..."

It is a dealer service center. Either they know there is engine damage or they don't. Either there is or there isn't. I would ask them if there is. And if they say no, then why is that part still there. If they say maybe then ask the general manager why they didn't do a better job.

I don't think he doesn't feel responsible. I think he has a valid complaint. This definitely sounds like the toyota shop trying to get out of any future warranty claims, even when they may have nothing to do with the incident.

Just my 2 cents.

Well I appreciate your sentiment and interpretation, my view here is that I paid the dealer $9k to repair the truck and when I picked it up they said it checks out 100% and doesn’t have any issues. I agree with that assessment. So, if that’s the case, why would I need to have a statement in the service history that the engine may have internal damage?
From dealership standpoint, the damage cause engine oil drained. They don't know how far you drive after oil leak. They just reporting what is the repaired from the incident. It's a fair statement.

One question is whether they warranty the repair work. That would go some ways to helping your cause.

If you paid $9k to fix something and they aren’t sure they fixed it, that would be problematic even if you keep the truck.

But if they feel confident and stand behind their work then that should be reflected in the service history. Again, it should only contain facts. Not words like “may, might, or possibly”.

Those types of statements don’t help consumers at all.

From dealership standpoint, the damage cause engine oil drained. They don't know how far you drive after oil leak. They just reporting what is the repaired from the incident. It's a fair statement.
But they know exactly how far I drove which was about 50 feet. Accusations of internal engine damage should have some basis in physical reality. Otherwise you could put that on any car that came in past the oil service interval. I don’t want to get into a big argument with folks here. I’m mainly just saying that’s inappropriate and put’s my truck in a bad position despite having nothing wrong with it. Sure the repairs happened. Not trying to hide that at all and that has it’s own impact on vehicle value. But I dont think I should agree to say my truck might have internal engine damage if it does not.

Consider this. You are driving along the interstate and hit a pothole and have a blowout, possibly damaging the wheel. You take it to the dealer and they put this in the service record:

"Extensive wheel damage and possibly significant damage to the suspension"

Would you be happy about that?

Is it possible that there is damage to the suspension? Sure, but there is no factual basis for keeping that in the record.

Consider this. You are driving along the interstate and hit a pothole and have a blowout, possibly damaging the wheel. You take it to the dealer and they put this in the service record:

"Extensive wheel damage and possibly significant damage to the suspension"

Would you be happy about that?

Is it possible that there is damage to the suspension? Sure, but there is no factual basis for keeping that in the record.

Just to add. what I would expect to see in the above scenario is this:

"Replaced wheel due to damage from impact. Inspected shocks, struts, UCA, LCA, and found no issues."

It has come to my attention that Mercury is in retrograde. Abandoning thread. The 200 forum will now continue it’s regularly scheduled programming. Thank you all for the feedback and thoughts here. Catch you on the flip side.

- Nick

I’m not sure what state you are in and their laws but I would file a diminished value claim with my insurance. They are supposed to pay you out for the hit to the value of the vehicle and it is negotiable. Plenty of lawyers do this for a fee and it’s one of the few advantages here in TX in consumer protection. The insurance will pretend like they have no idea what you are talking about. Look it up!

If you were in a non-fault accident but the repair was completed by a certified shop, should that not be on your record?

You were in an accident. Instead of hitting a flagpole, you hit a rock. It needs to be documented. Period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom