Accelerator Connecting Rod Boot color (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

WarDamnEagle

SILVER Star
Threads
Kinda hate to start a new thread on this subject but I couldn't find any debate about black vs orange regarding this subject. So all US OEM examples I could find (as well as the reproductions) are orange. Here's a pic from my 1983 FJ45 Troopy and I have no good reason to believe this isn't the original OEM part. It certainly looks the "part".

Anyone with non-USA late 40s, 43s or 45s got orange boots or are they black? Curious more than anything.

Here's the part number, etc. for reference:

78198BOOT, ACCELERATOR CONNECTING ROD
78199-903521

1EEC110A-0F8F-4CBA-958E-1415B43CC31C.jpeg

My 78’ 45 LPB AUS spec was orange.

78 FJ45LP-B would not be Australian spec. All Australian 40 series were RHD with a cable that was anchored to the firewall with a bulkhead fitting no boot. All the boots I have for LHD with linkage not cable were orange.

My Colombian 43 1981 had the black rubber boot And it was falling apart. My 1982 40 orange. My 1984 60 had the orange. I could only find orange OEM to use as a replacement. I’m not an expert but the black boots were rubber and the orange boot are more of a synthetic rubber to give them longevity. Even reproductions that ToyotaMatt makes are orange.

devo

Kinda hate to start a new thread on this subject but I couldn't find any debate about black vs orange regarding this subject. So all US OEM examples I could find (as well as the reproductions) are orange. Here's a pic from my 1983 FJ45 Troopy and I have no good reason to believe this isn't the original OEM part. It certainly looks the "part".

Anyone with non-USA late 40s, 43s or 45s got orange boots or are they black? Curious more than anything.

Here's the part number, etc. for reference:

78198BOOT, ACCELERATOR CONNECTING ROD
78199-903521

View attachment 2891468

hi , Mr. Eagle :)

- USA-spec. was SAFTEY OARNGE due to SAE California Regulations , witch in fact by accident IS Some what UV rated to a degree of 1980's unintended foresight ...

- ALL Global spec. and NON-USA were simple EPDM or lesser conventual black , NON-UV rated ..........

- BELOW are highly modern UV -Rated & Chemical Resistent too ...........

C42AE560-161D-4AAA-9017-86F91F748F2A.jpeg

78 FJ45LP-B would not be Australian spec. All Australian 40 series were RHD with a cable that was anchored to the firewall with a bulkhead fitting no boot. All the boots I have for LHD with linkage not cable were orange.
You are correct sir. Now that I think about it, it dd have a cable. I must have been thinking of one of the parts donors.

My Colombian 43 1981 had the black rubber boot And it was falling apart. My 1982 40 orange. My 1984 60 had the orange. I could only find orange OEM to use as a replacement. I’m not an expert but the black boots were rubber and the orange boot are more of a synthetic rubber to give them longevity. Even reproductions that ToyotaMatt makes are orange.

devo
Thanks Devo. I think that confirms that mine my OEM boot was black as well. Interesting that Toyota didn't make a separate part number for the Orange variety.

@ToyotaMatt thanks; yes I am aware of your very nice reproductions. I just wanted to confirm that they also made OEM ones in black. Appreciate the additional confirmation regarding non-USA models.

Thanks Devo. I think that confirms that mine my OEM boot was black as well. Interesting that Toyota didn't make a separate part number for the Orange variety.

@ToyotaMatt thanks; yes I am aware of your very nice reproductions. I just wanted to confirm that they also made OEM ones in black. Appreciate the additional confirmation regarding non-USA models.

i have seen many many global spec. and black , ones yours in 100% original in my opinion Mr. Eagle :)

i am about 88.4% certain

the BLACK SAUDI-Spec. Region and general countries part # u seek is : simply 78199-90351 :)

but maybe 17.6% wrong too :meh:

i am about 88.4% certain

the BLACK SAUDI-Spec. Region and general countries part # u seek is : simply 78199-90351 :)

but maybe 17.6% wrong too :meh:
Well maybe a bit of both. 78199-90352 that I referenced above is the correct part for my 1983 model. It appears that -90351 was the correct number up until 1980. I'm guessing if I can find an NOS example of either it will work just fine. Appreciate the additional information.

Well maybe a bit of both. 78199-90352 that I referenced above is the correct part for my 1983 model. It appears that -90351 was the correct number up until 1980. I'm guessing if I can find an NOS example of either it will work just fine. Appreciate the additional information.

when u get a chance PM me if you cant source a period correct black one , ill get a OARNGE one your way right away , :)

a contribution to your build of sorts

can't have the MICE getting and chewing leeds and such .

s-l1600111111.jpg

So in researching some earlier US models (e.g. 1978), it appears the -90352 is listed as correct (whereas for non-US I couldn't find -90352 appearing before 1980, although I didn't do an exhaustive search). That manifests the possibility that all -90352 are orange and that my FJ45 originally came with an orange one but perhaps was replaced with an older -90351 example at some point. It's either that or Toyota made the same part in two different colors. :meh:

I have a friend with two post 1980 FJ40s nearby. I'll try to take a look at his this weekend.

Well my friend's 03/80 FJ40 has an orange boot. His 11/81 FJ40 is missing the boot. His orange boot looks fairly new so I don't think it is the original boot - but maybe.

EC33622F-0369-48FC-A5FD-198E2D566DB0.jpeg

My guess is that Toyota realized the material used to make the black grommet fell apart over time and came up with an updated material which turned out to be red for whatever reason. The red grommet replaced the older black which Toyota had no need to produce any longer which is why you can't find any. I say just pick up a red one and be done with it since they don't break down.

My guess is that Toyota realized the material used to make the black grommet fell apart over time and came up with an updated material which turned out to be red for whatever reason. The red grommet replaced the older black which Toyota had no need to produce any longer which is why you can't find any. I say just pick up a red one and be done with it since they don't break down.
Thanks. I have one. Was just curious as my 1983 has a black one which was inconsistent with the North American market.

Well my friend's 03/80 FJ40 has an orange boot. His 11/81 FJ40 is missing the boot. His orange boot looks fairly new so I don't think it is the original boot - but maybe.

View attachment 2893121

That is in-fact one of my Reproduction OEM Orange Boots from my FIRST RUN many years ago ....

take note the Molding seams hairs or un-trimmed fat if you could understand this reference in the top dead middle across the top front to back ...

DSCN9751_49c3ffc1-c861-4320-962f-3481bba570de_grande.JPG

That is in-fact one of my Reproduction OEM Orange Boots from my FIRST RUN many years ago ....

take note the Molding seams hairs or un-trimmed fat if you could understand this reference in the top dead middle across the top front to back ...
Interesting, so Matt have you shipped many of those to Saudi Arabia?

This one was advertised as OEM and it has similar molding seam runout. Is it one of yours as well?

1642183210416.png

Interesting, so Matt have you shipped many of those to Saudi Arabia?

This one was advertised as OEM and it has similar molding seam runout. Is it one of yours as well?

View attachment 2893364

i have indeed shipped many abroad to all my Friends the Wonderful Saudi-Spec. Region :cool:

- take note how your 1st example photo where you mention it may have been replaced ?

- looks like puffy foam , this is how my first batch cam out

next photo up , your example where its partially inside out looking , is a smooth glossy type rubber , this is a OEM toyota one

here is i think my first batch image ?

see all the hairy casting mold fibers .........

1642183796992.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom