Adding rock lights to the rock sliders using the leftover wire connectors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Soldered the wires? Or soldered the lights themselves? I'm trying to avoid soldering since I'm only good with heat shrink wire connectors.

Just soldered the wires, those heat shrink connections are fine too.

I also just drilled out the holes a bit more and bolted directly to the old running board mounts, you don’t get to aim to em this way but they are bright as heck and they are quite sturdy.

I just need to figure out the part number for the wire connector....

The wire connector should have a little part # stamped into it. That's the last 5 of the part number. The full part number would be 90980-xxxxx

Once you find one end, a little googling can help you find the other end.

You can find the full info in the wire harness repair manual: Toyota Wiring Connectors - Wire Harness Repair Manual RM1022E - Land Cruiser Tech from IH8MUD.com - https://www.ih8mud.com/tech/WireHarnessRepairParts.php

The wire connector should have a little part # stamped into it. That's the last 5 of the part number. The full part number would be 90980-xxxxx

Once you find one end, a little googling can help you find the other end.

You can find the full info in the wire harness repair manual: Toyota Wiring Connectors - Wire Harness Repair Manual RM1022E - Land Cruiser Tech from IH8MUD.com - https://www.ih8mud.com/tech/WireHarnessRepairParts.php
Great tip and link. I will see if I can read the last 5-digits from the existing connector. I'll document this connector if I figure it out.

Update -- I couldn't ready any numbers off the connectors. I even washed the connectors with water/soap and I still didn't find any part numbers stamped on them.

Last edited:
Parts arrived today.
CE9B096A-BA31-46D2-AF22-35AD85BCBC27.jpeg

Damn, you're going all in! Looking great.

I stripped the old wire harness off my chopped up running boards and then crimp connected the same little LED lights you used. Then I zip ties them to my rock slider legs with little angled brackets to get them positioned correctly.

Damn, you're going all in! Looking great.

I stripped the old wire harness off my chopped up running boards and then crimp connected the same little LED lights you used. Then I zip ties them to my rock slider legs with little angled brackets to get them positioned correctly.
Overkill it seems. It seems like I can at least 4+ foot distance between the two end points just by connecting the parts without adding any wire.

You can save money by not buying the 25-feet of 18 gauge wire. Confirmed that it’s not needed. Just by connecting the splitters, connectors and rock lights, you get around 5-feet of wire from rock light to rock light. And you only need about 4 feet to where the stock oem running board bolts are located.
85DF0440-A22B-486B-9DDF-42421CEB0B91.jpeg

Last edited:
Driver side done. I honestly don’t know what the value of using these waterproof splitters over hardwiring other than I can disconnect easily at various points.

After heating the heat shrink connectors, I wrapped them in black electrical tape.

I’ve temporarily attached the rock lights to the stock oem running board bolts. This will do until I figure out a simple bracket. I’ll go to Home Depot and look around.

I also used zip ties to manage the cables along the frame.

Here’s some pictures.

D4521304-9BD4-425B-93C8-4309458FBDF6.jpeg
D7B71C08-3C86-4126-ACC4-48162E0626CE.jpeg
B9C98FD4-4424-434E-9E34-ED8EAEB20745.jpeg

BE26A220-C5F2-492F-B978-592B6CC5AC9C.jpeg
F470FED2-EE84-419A-9977-BA3D33FF5C1D.jpeg
6C65AD67-BEB5-4303-88C7-6A3AD5437352.jpeg
CA976459-8F81-43B6-AAAD-4D53C1F4B859.jpeg

You can also use liquid electrical tape over those heat shrink butt connectors. That stuff works really well for waterproofing connections you don't need to disconnect

You can also use liquid electrical tape over those heat shrink butt connectors. That stuff works really well for waterproofing connections you don't need to disconnect
I saw the liquid electrical tape at Home Depot. Didn’t know about that.

Seems like I woke up from the dark ages and now there’s various ways to connect and seal wires. Good tips for others to follow.

I sticking to what I have now for now. Heat shrink wire connectors and electrical tape.

Last edited:
So, new guy to having a vehicle with courtesy lights but not rock lights, here. Mine has had sliders since I bought it so I don't have the lights on my rig.
These only come on when you unlock and open the doors, correct? We aren't actually using these as rock lights while off-road, right?

So, new guy to having a vehicle with courtesy lights but not rock lights, here. Mine has had sliders since I bought it so I don't have the lights on my rig.
These only come on when you unlock and open the doors, correct? We aren't actually using these as rock lights while off-road, right?
Correct. Amazon special rock lights are cheap and perfectly fine for this. Reuse the OEM wiring harness or make you own, attach it to the existing connection underneath the truck, and viola, courtesy lights.

That’s correct. I’m wiring them to work like the low dim step lights, except these are brighter.

They only go on as you describe.

Although there was a guy who said he opens his doors at night when wheeling to light the rocks! Lol

Correct. Amazon special rock lights are cheap and perfectly fine for this. Reuse the OEM wiring harness or make you own, attach it to the existing connection underneath the truck, and viola, courtesy lights.

I went to Home Depot and found some inexpensive 20ga metal strap tie ins for wood. They are 24” long and cost $0.98 each. Bought two. Picture below shows them already with the ends cut.

I cut the metal tie ins using metal scissors. I drilled new 1/4” holes to fit the screws of the rock light base, and spray painted black to provide some antirust protection.

I installed using the old running board stock oem screws that were left under the gx470. One of the large existing holes in the strap tie ins is good to fit the large oem running board bolt.

I had to use nuts as spacers for the running board bolts to prevent the bracket from angling in the wrong direction.

Good thing I have so much leftover tools, nuts, washers and other stuff from home and car projects.
9B855620-CC53-409D-9F19-671ADBED783C.jpeg
AA42CEB2-C98C-44BE-847B-61787FA76E59.jpeg
786874B3-1E16-469F-92C1-69C1DB8D6782.jpeg

47903F89-6F15-443F-82E6-EA883F593ADF.jpeg
5C81C661-D8DD-44E9-9480-93D04241CD39.jpeg

D87CCFC0-7604-4183-9F32-2A2D2E79EACE.jpeg
23968247-BB2A-414F-A038-05A446F1D05A.jpeg
483D7397-53A3-4D28-92B8-D2F219622D60.jpeg
9F4C72B2-D829-46A9-806F-4AD476ED62C6.jpeg
4CA545A6-BFF2-4A6D-B2FC-4E8E986DF855.jpeg

Last edited:

Using the OEM wiring only, yes.

I'll be wiring in a switch so I can turn mine on at will, and the door/unlock functions will still work. It requires a diode arrangement so the switched power doesn't backfeed into the GX chassis lighting controller.

Using the OEM wiring only, yes.

I'll be wiring in a switch so I can turn mine on at will, and the door/unlock functions will still work. It requires a diode arrangement so the switched power doesn't backfeed into the GX chassis lighting controller.
If you can document your wiring to work as steps lights and also to control them with a switch...that would be cool to see.

If you can document your wiring to work as steps lights and also to control them with a switch...that would be cool to see.

If I can get it to work, I'll definitely share the wealth here. I'm doing a few lighting things and I also did a bunch of suspension stuff so one of these days I should post up some info.

If I can get it to work, I'll definitely share the wealth here. I'm doing a few lighting things and I also did a bunch of suspension stuff so one of these days I should post up some info.
Yeah, do your build thread. i think I’ve turned my build thread into a journal.

I found the heat shrink wire connectors difficult to work with. In particular, crimping the inside metal to hold the wire tight. I screwed up a few because I would crimp and not catch the wire tightly.

Anyone find other wire connectors that are waterproof that are easier to work than these heat shrink wire connectors?

The using a butane lighter to shrink them left a lot to be desired in my skills as an electrician.

That liquid electric tape and non-crimping wire connectors are sounding great for my next project.

4A7BBBF4-1183-4C8C-84D9-5B526B39AA3A.jpeg

I found the heat shrink wire connectors difficult to work with. In particular, crimping the inside metal to hold the wire tight. I screwed up a few because I would crimp and not catch the wire tightly.

Anyone find other wire connectors that are waterproof that are easier to work than these heat shrink wire connectors?

The using a butane lighter to shrink them left a lot to be desired in my skills as an electrician.

That liquid electric tape and non-crimping wire connectors are sounding great for my next project.

View attachment 2894514

What are you crimping them with?

I've had the best luck with basic dedicated crimping pliers. These are what I have:

Though it does punch through the outer layer 50% of the time. I still tape/wrap everything anyway so I'm okay with that.

Also it looks like you're using 14-16ga connectors on 20ga-ish wire which also makes it way harder to crimp. When I'm using connectors that are way too big, I'll strip off double the length of insulation and then fold the wire back on itself so it fills the connector.

What are you crimping them with?

I've had the best luck with basic dedicated crimping pliers. These are what I have:

Though it does punch through the outer layer 50% of the time. I still tape/wrap everything anyway so I'm okay with that.

Also it looks like you're using 14-16ga connectors on 20ga-ish wire which also makes it way harder to crimp. When I'm using connectors that are way too big, I'll strip off double the length of insulation and then fold the wire back on itself so it fills the connector.
I have channel lock wire crimpers/cutters.

I ran out of the 16 gauge heat shrink wire connectors and had to use 14 gauge ones. Wires are like 18 gauge. Stock wires are like 20 gauge, so you are right that my wire connectirs were a little big but even the 16 gauge ones were hard to insert the wire at the right spot and crimp.

Next time, I’m thinking of using the heat soldering wire connectors that don’t require crimping. Added the photo of these.

AC9E7E4A-854C-447C-9EF9-CF865D3A0F56.jpeg
F028B6FD-B6CB-4D49-8859-BE51F1292A6E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom