1994 FZJ80 re-paint- 2-Stage process w/ closure of roof rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

More unicorns killed in restoring this rig, mostly because they were cracked and destroyed. The outside molding was all peeling up from the sun. The louvers were all cracked from the POS PO.

MOULDING, QUARTER BELT, RH$20.7675660-60010
MOULDING, QUARTER BELT, LH$20.7675670-60010
MOULDING ASSY, FRONT DOOR BELT, RH$34.1275710-60011
MOULDING ASSY, REAR DOOR BELT, LH$34.4375740-60010
MOULDING ASSY, REAR DOOR BELT, RH$33.3875730-60010
MOULDING ASSY, FRONT DOOR BELT, LH$34.1275720-60011
LOUVER, QUATER VENTILATION, RH$47.4262905-60020
LOUVER, QUATER VENTILATION, LH$48.4662906-60020

These mouldings I bought are sold on partsouq.com and NOT THE OEM JET BLACK. They have this trim of chrome in them.

If you want the jet black OEM, you have to call the USA toyota dealers and here is the part number for those. Notice the 2 in the last set of part numbers below from my table above. They run about $80 each plus tax so for 6 pieces, you are at $480 for trim... (and they will curl up at the edges in 20 years)

75710-60021 MOULDING ASSY, FRONT DOOR BELT, RH
75740-60020 REAR DOOR BELT, LH.
75730-60020 MOULDING ASSY, REAR DOOR BELT, RH
75720-60021 MOULDING ASSY, FRONT DOOR BELT, LH
75660-60020 MOULDING, QUARTER BELT, RH
75670-60020 MOULDING, QUARTER BELT, LH
Great write up! I will be using this as my guide for when I paint my own truck in August (in the wet northwest is best to wait for August).

Question on the mouldings you order from partsouq.com. Can you post a close up of the truck and the moldings? I am trying to get a better sense of the chrome affect.

Second, many mud members have repainted their old moldings. Looking back on it would you have done that or still ordered the ones you got? Thanks in advance

@SteelHunterFJ80 here is the molding pics from partsouq

38D374E1-24E6-4057-B05C-9F52F57255E7.jpeg

A4342E65-F71B-4F47-8C70-FBA3AF01EFC7.jpeg

It is a little late to say but I was able to find all the black trim under the windows still available. I just replaced all of mine. I did have to get the 6 pieces from more than one dealer

Btw. Looks amazing. I also have a green one and the paint does not look much better than when yours was all sanded, lol. I have no plans to fix the paint. It's a dd and trail truck that use too much. Maybe someday if I have my own work shop again.

@InDaWoods here is the final product.
Looks fantastic !!
IMHO the front and rear windows Should have been removed if your putting that much love into a paint job.

I’m hindsight I should have but I was running out of time and tried my best to get as close to the the rubber.

If those glasses are removed, I still have some paint sealed and can try to apply then but it may be in the next 4-5 years

Adding this pic from the weekend. Yes I ride on normal highway tires. Not on 33s yet

IMG_5771.jpeg

I’m hindsight I should have but I was running out of time and tried my best to get as close to the the rubber.

If those glasses are removed, I still have some paint sealed and can try to apply then but it may be in the next 4-5 years

Adding this pic from the weekend. Yes I ride on normal highway tires. Not on 33s yet

View attachment 3342927
The truck looks great !!
The next best thing one can do is stuff 1/4 or 3/8 nylon rope behind the rubber before you tape it off so the paint extends behind the rubber ;)

@lp2k - what color is the cowl on this color truck? I was about to work on mine but was not sure if it was originally green or black. Mine is a 1995 but I imagine it's the same as a 1994.

Awesome work! As an aside, in my area circa 2018 I was hearing $10-12k estimates from a few of the "better" shops. Those may have been "we're busy and don't really want a big job" numbers though.

I think that price may be fair now for a large metro city area. When I did this earl 2021 before supply chain issues and price gouging, I was told this has a value of $8,000

Yeah. It's a poo-ton of labor for sure.

If , and its a hard IF, I sell my rig, I want to show what it looked like before and after.

some folks have a ton of body work / bondo / rust. Crazy thing is I did the work myself at the body shop so I can tell you wet sanding by hand and going up from 400 to 1200 really is torture.

I can imagine.

Re-painting your rig is very hard and expensive, but the end result is gorgeous and I something I am proud of.

Click here for pics of my rig before the painting and what I had to asses (2014) [yea i am a bit on the slow side, just took me 7 years but who is counting right?.

3/15-3/22/2021- begin removing the running board, flares and other nick nacks off the rig installed circa 1994.

View attachment 2625684

On 3/22/2021, I arrived at the body shop in Tampa to begin removing the lights, the front guard which was tack welded onto the frame and any other part to make the painting go on nice and neat.
I am planning on putting an ARB so care had to be taken to get the bolts off and not damage the opening.
As you can tell, the paint on my rig was very bad.

Headlight and grille removal:
  1. Remove the center grille (5 JIS screws, 2 on each side and 1 in the center)
  2. Remove the amber corner light. It is held in with 1 JIS screw and you gently pull it towards you to remove the light.
  3. Un-bolt 4 10mm bolts holding the headlight into the frame.
  4. Go ahead and follow the instructions on how to twist the bulbs out. Wipe off the dirt and you will see instructions. Once you remove the bulbs, hold them by the base, wipe off your fingerprints and place them into the headlight. Helps to keep things organize and not bang them up.
  5. Thread all bolts and screws back into their holes so you do not loose anything

full

Supply run to the auto body shop to get materials needed.

full

Back to the shop.
Time to think about the roof. I went ahead and decided to close up the 2 larger roof racks on the sides and keep the 4 inner ribs. I also decided to close the rear dust visor as it was starting to rust. I am planning a roof rack and roof tent. The items I removed do not fit my future needs for the rig.

• The outer 2 racks have 2 JIS screws in each cap. I spent the previous week soaking them with penetration oil and was able to get 7 of them out without any issue. The last screw had to be cut off with a small hacksaw.
  • The 4 inner ribs are held on with JIS screws and they were sprayed earlier and came off without any issues.
  • Inner 4 ribs SLIDE OUT. These will be re-used.
  • I then cleaned the rubber with PREPSOL and masked it up. Wiping them down will allow the masking tape to stick better.
  • The holes are sanded as there was surface rust.
I want to add- I had to buy the 2 very long rubber moldings that go on the roof drip edge as well as a new under hood mat. Both were brittle and the under hood mat crumbled when trying to get access to the nozzles and all 12 snaps broke. $500 in 3 parts I really didn't plan on, but had to in order to do the job.

INSULATOR, HOOD - Courtesy Toyota of Brandon$241.1453341-60100
MOULDING, ROOF DRIP SIDE FINISH, RH$111.2175551-60020
MOULDING, ROOF DRIP SIDE FINISH, LH$111.2175552-60020
CLIP(FOR HOOD INSULATOR)$1.34 x 12 = $16.0890467-09014

Since the nozzles broke off, I am going to do the 3 nozzle upgrade.

NOZZLE SUB-ASSY, WASHER$9.02 x 2 = $18.0485381-42070

full

full

That green compound laid is a fiberglass type of bondo. Once it dries, it will be sanded and then epoxy over with the USC Icing (Polyester Finishing putty) Pinholes will be filled with the red putty if they form.
The side mirrors were also removed. I carefully pried the rubber part off so the mirror itself could be sanded and re-painted. I hate over spray!

Time to take care of 27 years worth of dings and bumps son!

full

Now it is time to scuff it up. The whole truck is sanded 2 times with the DA using 300 grit paper. A DA sander (dual action), is an orbital sander. The dual actions are combined, they are (1) the circular rotation of the head, and (2), the orbital or oval movement of the head.

full

full

3/24/2021
This was a lot of work to go through the whole car with the DA 2 times. I am putting in about 12 hours a day as I am working on the truck myself with a helper from time to time.
full

Time to prime all of the places where we had to fix the bumps and holes. It was lightly washed and then it is going into the paint booth. Using the air compressor, we blew as much of the dirt off.
full

Care is given to the fender flares, which were cracked by road damage by the PO. I wanted them repaired and ready to be put back onto the truck in case I do not go with the Kut Snake style fenders and keep my options open.
full

It is time to call the paint shops and get quotes for the PPG paint I want to use on the truck. To paint the entire truck, it will require 3 quarts. With a 1:1 ratio, that will make over a gallon. I really want someone to call around and check the price of this paint, Shop Line JBP 6M1 3 quarts. No shortcuts here.

full

Cowl and fender flares were the first to be sanded and painted.
full

full

3/25-3/26/2021
The worst days of my life begin. Wet sanding the entire truck by hand followed by a wash with soap and air drying. Also, washing out the jams and creases (think a full detail at the wash)
  1. Wet sand with 400 grit, wash with soap, and air dry
  2. Wet sand with 600 grit, wash with soap, and air dry
  3. Wet sand with 800 grit, wash with soap, and air dry
full

3/26/2021 late afternoon.
Final wash before going inside to be masked up.
full

3/27/2021
Time to start masking the car up. This took all day. If you look close at the hatch and the last photo, I double edged the jams with foam tape to prevent overspray into the jams and making sure all of the lights, the locks, the rear emblem and wiper are all off. I want this to look as close to original as possible.
full

full

Had to apply some red putty as some pinholes were noticed

The rig windows are masked and also that blacked out side area near the windows.
full

In this photo you can see the amount of stuff taken off the rear hatch. So much care went into masking the rubber gasket.
full
Where did you get the drip rail covers? I've been needing replacements for two of my 80s for a couple of years. No dealer in the US (that I've found) will sell them, and PartSouq has them listed, but not available.

Where did you get the drip rail covers? I've been needing replacements for two of my 80s for a couple of years. No dealer in the US (that I've found) will sell them, and PartSouq has them listed, but not available.

You can’t ship those. Way to long and fragile. Get from your local dealership.

Cheers

You can’t ship those. Way to long and fragile. Get from your local dealership.

Cheers
I posted the part numbers didn’t I?

My uncle is a certified collision shop and get the Toyota parts and small discount

Either way, I can dig them out of my receipt binder and post. Drip rails are available but they are long as heck and one of them kinked in transit and we had to massage it straight

Hey call your local Toyota dealer for this - this is the drip rail

MOULDING, ROOF DRIP SIDE FINISH, RH$111.2175551-60020
MOULDING, ROOF DRIP SIDE FINISH, LH$111.2175552-60020

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom