Any caster correction needed for 2" lift? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've searched and searched some more but couldn't find any info if I needed to adjust any caster for a 2" lift. Seems like there's Panhard lift brackets and all that jazz for 3" lifts but as I'm only planning on a mild 2" lift and 33s are there any adjustments I need to do for a 2" lift? Maybe a different bushing for the radius arms?

Thanks

Most likely yes. With 2" of lift you caster will likely be very close to 0°. Some bushings or plates will bring you back above 2° and in spec. Keep your fingers crossed the caster correction dosen't cause any driveshaft vibrations.

Most likely yes. With 2" of lift you caster will likely be very close to 0°. Some bushings or plates will bring you back above 2° and in spec. Keep your fingers crossed the caster correction dosen't cause any driveshaft vibrations.
How can caster correction cause driveshaft vibrations?

I've searched and searched some more but couldn't find any info if I needed to adjust any caster for a 2" lift. Seems like there's Panhard lift brackets and all that jazz for 3" lifts but as I'm only planning on a mild 2" lift and 33s are there any adjustments I need to do for a 2" lift? Maybe a different bushing for the radius arms?

Thanks

Yes, if you’re into good steering control, in particular, on the freeway.

I’m at the top end of OEM spec at +4 caster with the Delta 4” arms running a modest 2” lift.

Caster bushings are a waste of time.

Yes, without caster correction your head gasket will fail.

How can caster correction cause driveshaft vibrations?
Caster correction basically rotates the axle. As the the axle rotates the dif flange also rotates which changes the angles of the driveshaft. There is a little tolerance in the angles and most people with only 2" of lift should get away with it. Over 2.5" and vibrations are hard to avoid.

My '97 went to .7ish on each side when lifted to just 21.5" or so wheel centers to flares. I'd guess that's less than 1.5" from stock so my front axle was already on the low edge of, or out of spec to start.

I'd anticipate that you will need minor caster correction and you may be well served with the lower lift height land-tank plates or the washer mod but delta could of course fix you up with some arms. I wouldn't anticipate driveline vibes from minor caster correction but you never know.

Best approach is probably to install all accessories, tires, lift and then have a shop get your sweep/caster numbers for you. You never know for sure how much height a lift will deliver, what your numbers will be, etc. so you won't know how much correction you need til the setup is finalized.

New arms from Delta really are your best option for correcting caster without the risk of tie-rod to arm interference, axle mods, etc. but washer mods, plates, bushings and bearing changes for caster correction all have their place as well.

Yes, if you’re into good steering control, in particular, on the freeway.

I’m at the top end of OEM spec at +4 caster with the Delta 4” arms running a modest 2” lift.

Caster bushings are a waste of time.
Gotcha, I'll stick with the OEM bushings then. So getting $1000 in new radius arms would fix the caster then?

My '97 went to .7ish on each side when lifted to just 21.5" or so wheel centers to flares. I'd guess that's less than 1.5" from stock so my front axle was already on the low edge of, or out of spec to start.

I'd anticipate that you will need minor caster correction and you may be well served with the lower lift height land-tank plates or the washer mod but delta could of course fix you up with some arms. I wouldn't anticipate driveline vibes from minor caster correction but you never know.

Best approach is probably to install all accessories, tires, lift and then have a shop get your sweep/caster numbers for you. You never know for sure how much height a lift will deliver, what your numbers will be, etc. so you won't know how much correction you need til the setup is finalized.

New arms from Delta really are your best option for correcting caster without the risk of tie-rod to arm interference, axle mods, etc. but washer mods, plates, bushings and bearing changes for caster correction all have their place as well.
Thank you! I'll keep all this in mind for the lift in the coming months.

The "full meal deal" is more like $1300. They are nice looking arms though.

I have a 2.5 lift and needed castor correction. I waited until lift was installed new tires and armor done than had a alignment and got the delta arms. Dave over at delta is great and very knowledgeable on this subject. Plates work and so do bushings.

I have a 2.5 lift and needed castor correction. I waited until lift was installed new tires and armor done than had a alignment and got the delta arms. Dave over at delta is great and very knowledgeable on this subject. Plates work and so do bushings.

87A121CF-0FF4-4104-AFC7-24F0F9F301F7.jpeg

There is many a Land Cruiser owner with a 2" lift happily using caster correction bushings. They are not the theoretically best way to correct caster, but they do work and if not abused will last a long time. I have had mine installed for over 80,000 miles and my axle has not fallen off the truck yet:flipoff2: If you will be regularly maxing out articulation and stressing those bushings then alternative methods may be advisable, but for expedition-type travel the caster correction bushings are an economical and viable path.

Drive it for a bit after your lift before you spend a bunch more money on new arms or something. I’d wager that you might be ok with it. I wouldn’t use bushings, and plates are only like 150$.

I have about 2.5in, old and saggy probably 2, and it drives fine with no correction 🤷
You don’t have to have the Gucci shyt for every little issue. But if you want the expensive stuff than go for it.

Here are my OME 2.5* bushings after 10 years and 110K miles. They were most likely due for a change several miles ago?
Switched to OEM bushings and 5* castor plates.
Front DS issues are haunting!

devo

DEE32598-98B3-42F8-87D6-1E5FDEBE6EFD.jpeg

71FB352E-7339-409D-AD45-583B7984A090.jpeg

Landtank has a caster plate for 2.5" lifts. I would do that before using caster bushings. Delta arms are great, but expensive. Radius arm drop brackets are also great if you're not worried about the slightly reduced clearance under frame.

There is many a Land Cruiser owner with a 2" lift happily using caster correction bushings. They are not the theoretically best way to correct caster, but they do work and if not abused will last a long time. I have had mine installed for over 80,000 miles and my axle has not fallen off the truck yet:flipoff2: If you will be regularly maxing out articulation and stressing those bushings then alternative methods may be advisable, but for expedition-type travel the caster correction bushings are an economical and viable path.
What brand did you go with and did you use caster correction bushings on the radius arms only? I'm about to purchase all the bushings for my LX here soon.

Drive it for a bit after your lift before you spend a bunch more money on new arms or something. I’d wager that you might be ok with it. I wouldn’t use bushings, and plates are only like 150$.

I have about 2.5in, old and saggy probably 2, and it drives fine with no correction 🤷
You don’t have to have the Gucci shyt for every little issue. But if you want the expensive stuff than go for it.
Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately a lot of my bushings are already cracked and need to be replaced so I figured id look into different options. I think ill see how it drives and then consider my options. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom