Adding rock lights to the rock sliders using the leftover wire connectors (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here's another thread on how to spend more time on your GX470 adding valuable lipstick. Since I added Raptor lights, I guess I'm now on an LED light fetish! This will be like a series of posts as I figure this out real-time. And sorry in advance if this is too simple for the electrically inclined.

[Update -- This first post was updated after I completed the project. Many of the post that follow this first post helped shape this project. In the end, I came back to document the whole job in this first post.]

The PO removed the running boards and left the step lights wire connector in place:
F_Connector_Steps_01.jpg

There are a few wiring methods for adding rock lights to the rock sliders:

1. Re-use the stock oem step light wiring harness. If you saved yours, you can just splice the ends and attach the new rock light pods using heat shrink connectors. This is probably the least amount of work and cost. Least amount of skill needed. Just wire 4 new rock light pods to the ends of the stock oem wiring harness.

2. If you are missing the step light wiring harness, then make your own wiring harness using insulated wire, wire connectors, heat shrink wrappers, soldering, etc. Maybe this is the least expensive method, but it does require you to make more wire connections.

3. Hybrid model. Buy some wire connectors and 2-way waterproof wire splitters/joiners and splice some of the connections. This is what I'm going to do and describe going forward. Advantage is that the 2-way splitters quickly disconnect and connect and are waterproof connections.

At first, I was intent on re-using that hanging connector. However, it was taking me too long to figure out the connector needed to tap into the hanging connector. Since I had to create the rest of the wiring harness, I decided to cut the connector and use heat shrink connectors to connect to custom wiring harness I'm going to make.

I'll leave the picture of this diagram to see if anyone can figure out that hanging connector type. I could not read any part numbers on the existing connectors. Either my eyes are going bad or the connectors are too faded to still show the part numbers. If anyone figures out the connector part numbers, please let me know and I'll post here. Found on this MegaZip site
Connector_Types.png

Now that I'm moving on from that connector...here are the parts I ordered. I decided that 2 rock lights on each side is good enough. I didn't order the popular Sunpie 6 pod rock lights because they were back ordered 2 months. I found a similar replacements on amazon that's arriving in two days.

Sometimes I wonder if I make things harder by making my own stuff. I ordered about $81 worth of parts...maybe a rock light kit would have been cheaper! I'll have extra parts to add more lights later. You don't need the 25-foot spool of wire.

Rock_Lights_Materials_02.jpg

I picked these wire connectors because they had 1x2 and 1x3 splitters to join the lights to the same wiring harness. I couldn't find the 2-way or 3-way splitters for other type of waterproof connectors.

I used way more tools than I thought I was going to use:
  1. Wire strippers
  2. Wire crimpers
  3. Metal sheet cutting scissors
  4. Butane lighter (highly recommend a heat gun...way better than a lighter!)
  5. Drill with 1/4" titanium drill bit to drill metal
  6. Bench vise to hold the brackets for drilling the holes
  7. Allen wrench to assemble the rock lights onto the custom-made bracket
  8. Rachet wrench for the stock oem running board bolts
  9. Locking pliers
  10. Scissors
  11. Exacto knife
  12. Mutli-meter to figure out why the lights on the passenger side weren't going on. I had crossed the stock oem wires and they didn't work. One is ground and the other is power. This is why you need to test the lights before you make things permanent.
I also used way more parts than I thought I was going to use:
  1. Heat-shrink wire connectors (get the right size 18 gauge one and get extra ones...I screwed up a handful...next time I'll get the ones that don't require crimping). Update: I did order new heat soldering wire connectors and they worked way better for me. I re-did some of my wiring on the passenger side using these heat soldering wire connectors that don't need crimping.
  2. 1-1/4 in. x 24 in. 20-Gauge Galvanized Strap Tie to make the light brackets. Only got two straps and cut them to make 4 brackets. Easy to bend.
  3. Matte black Rust-oleum spray paint to paint the brackets to provide anti-rust protection.
  4. 2-way wire connectors with disconnects (came in very handy when I was routing wire, testing lights).
  5. Rock light pods (only got 4 total - two per side - seems enough for such bright rock lights).
  6. Nuts to use as spacers for brackets to allow bending it in the right direction.
  7. Electrical tape to put over the heat shrink butt joints.
  8. Zip ties to manage the cables.
Here are a few pictures.

Rock_Lights_Collage_01.jpg

And here's how the lights look at night. This is just after two lights installed and no brackets. I had only completed the drivers side at this point and lights were hanging free. It looks brighter than after I added brackets.

RockLights_Last.jpg

And here's a photo with both sides completed with brackets.

33D6836B-C8EB-4AEF-BD92-A82FFC4538AF.jpeg

Last edited:
Strongly recommend these.

SUNPIE Pure White LED Rock Lights Kits with 6 pods Lights 6000K for Off Road Truck Car ATV SUV Motorcycle Under Body Glow Light Lamp Trail Fender Lighting (White)
Amazon product ASIN B019ODAK26

SUNPIE Pure White LED Rock Lights Kits with 6 pods Lights 6000K for Off Road Truck Car ATV SUV Motorcycle Under Body Glow Light Lamp Trail Fender Lighting (White)
Thanks. I'm going to look into those rock lights....wow those look bright in the pictures.

I used the stock harness from the running boards and soldered those above rock lights in.
Soldered the wires? Or soldered the lights themselves? I'm trying to avoid soldering since I'm only good with heat shrink wire connectors.

Thanks. I'm going to look into those rock lights....wow those look bright in the pictures.
They are rated at 300 lumens each and are every bit that if not under rated.

They are rated at 300 lumens each and are every bit that if not under rated.
Wow. Daylight white back ordered 2 months. Earliest delivery March 4 to 11. I guess I have a while to get this done!

Wow. Daylight white back ordered 2 months. Earliest delivery March 4 to 11. I guess I have a while to get this done!
Could be worse... You could be like me and have the parts for months and not actually get the project done. LOL

How did you mount your lights to the under side of your 470?

Hey Y’all,

Chiming in to this thread. I used the lights that @MrTorgue linked, and am very happy with the light output and the price.

I used the stock wiring harness from my running boards, but cleaned it up a lot.

• Trimmed off the lights at either end of each harness, and did not keep those plugs
  • Peeled off the old electrical tape or w/e was wrapped around the plastic conduit
  • Shortened the harness a bit (I think mine is 51.5” end to end)
  • Soldered rock lights to both ends. The lights I used had wires attached already. So it was easy to just solder and add heat shrink + electrical tape
  • Used a t-tap to connect a third rock light right around the mid point of each harness
  • Wrapped all of the soldered areas in electrical tape
  • Put the plastic conduit back on, and re-wrapped the entire harness in electrical tape
My brackets certainly aren’t pretty. I’d like to try and design some in a cad program, and 3D print them, but it’s not too high on my priority list.

I just used some aluminum T bar, cut into sections about 3” long (just enough to fit the light). Then bent from the 90 degree angle out more, probably between 135 and 180.

I used the bolts and bolt holes where the large L-brackets held the OEM side steps to attach the brackets. Then zip tied the wire harness up and out of the way.

Pictures below.

Bracket mounted

FF71B663-48A2-45EE-8382-DD68B18235DE.jpeg

Lights on

654F12C7-4609-404D-AD36-719B4E9338D2.jpeg

Wiring harness
40D6ECD0-7D12-437B-8A2B-54DB0311A1A5.jpeg

I did basically the same thing on my 460 after installing sliders. I cut the OEM wires off where they met the OEM courtesy lights in the side steps. I also kept the OEM hardware from the sidestep brackets. Wired up some Amazon special amber rock lights, fashioned some (extremely crude) brackets from aluminum bar, and then bolted underneath the truck using the existing holes from the OEM brackets. I don't need actual rock lights, but I do appreciate having the courtesy lights when loading/unloading and these are brighter than stock.

I did basically the same thing on my 460 after installing sliders. I cut the OEM wires off where they met the OEM courtesy lights in the side steps. I also kept the OEM hardware from the sidestep brackets. Wired up some Amazon special amber rock lights, fashioned some (extremely crude) brackets from aluminum bar, and then bolted underneath the truck using the existing holes from the OEM brackets. I don't need actual rock lights, but I do appreciate having the courtesy lights when loading/unloading and these are brighter than stock.
That’s a good idea to use the existing holes that held up the oem running board. I’m going to look into reusing those holes for the lights

Hey Y’all,

Chiming in to this thread. I used the lights that @MrTorgue linked, and am very happy with the light output and the price.

I used the stock wiring harness from my running boards, but cleaned it up a lot.

• Trimmed off the lights at either end of each harness, and did not keep those plugs
  • Peeled off the old electrical tape or w/e was wrapped around the plastic conduit
  • Shortened the harness a bit (I think mine is 51.5” end to end)
  • Soldered rock lights to both ends. The lights I used had wires attached already. So it was easy to just solder and add heat shrink + electrical tape
  • Used a t-tap to connect a third rock light right around the mid point of each harness
  • Wrapped all of the soldered areas in electrical tape
  • Put the plastic conduit back on, and re-wrapped the entire harness in electrical tape
My brackets certainly aren’t pretty. I’d like to try and design some in a cad program, and 3D print them, but it’s not too high on my priority list.

I just used some aluminum T bar, cut into sections about 3” long (just enough to fit the light). Then bent from the 90 degree angle out more, probably between 135 and 180.

I used the bolts and bolt holes where the large L-brackets held the OEM side steps to attach the brackets. Then zip tied the wire harness up and out of the way.

Pictures below.

Bracket mounted

View attachment 2889622

Lights on

View attachment 2889623

Wiring harness
View attachment 2889619
Good write up and I like your aluminum brackets. Simple but they do the job.

You actually modified the existing step wire harness. I’m missing that portion of the wire harness and I’m trying to make one with the wires that come with the rock lights, plus the correct female connector to attach to the existing hanging wire I showed in my photo.

Any close ups of the female connector in your photo of the step wire harness?

I reused my existing harness as well and soldered in.
With you missing your existing harness you may to try and find some rock lights that have plenty of extra wire. If you don't want to solder, you can strip the end on the lights and that plug on the frame and then use a connector that you are comfortable with and would be relatively water tight and then just use it. Find a plug that has female and male connectors and you can build a harness that way. I would say that the factory wiring isn't a thick gauge so if you just bought wire 18 gauge would work fine. When wrapping up all the connections, you can use marine shrink to create water tight seals around all the connection points.

I reused my existing harness as well and soldered in.
With you missing your existing harness you may to try and find some rock lights that have plenty of extra wire. If you don't want to solder, you can strip the end on the lights and that plug on the frame and then use a connector that you are comfortable with and would be relatively water tight and then just use it. Find a plug that has female and male connectors and you can build a harness that way. I would say that the factory wiring isn't a thick gauge so if you just bought wire 18 gauge would work fine. When wrapping up all the connections, you can use marine shrink to create water tight seals around all the connection points.
Got it. I wanted to create a plug-and-play solution with heat shrink wire connectors and use the factory oem wire connector that's hanging. If I can't figure out how to do that, then I will have to cut that hanging wire connector and use connectors like @binaryaudax mentioned.

I did find the part number for my missing wire harness for the step lights:

(82157A) Lexus 82157-60010 Wire, Step Panel, RH
(82158A) Lexus 82158-60010 Wire, Step Panel, LH

These are the wire harnesses that get thrown away when you delete the stock oem running boards.

As of this post, the new price for each oem step lights wire harness is between $50 each to $67 each plus tax and shipping.

I just need to figure out the part number for the wire connector....and I couldn’t ready any numbers on my existing connectors.

Wiring_Diagram_Lexus.png

Last edited:
Good write up and I like your aluminum brackets. Simple but they do the job.

You actually modified the existing step wire harness. I’m missing that portion of the wire harness and I’m trying to make one with the wires that come with the rock lights, plus the correct female connector to attach to the existing hanging wire I showed in my photo.

Any close ups of the female connector in your photo of the step wire harness?

I will snap some tomorrow and share! I’d bet you could snag the harnesses from a pick and pull if you’ve got one near you and don’t want to rebuild them yourself.

I will snap some tomorrow and share! I’d bet you could snag the harnesses from a pick and pull if you’ve got one near you and don’t want to rebuild them yourself.
After wasting so much time researching to re-use that connector...I gave up and decided to cut my losses and buy parts to make my own connections. The rock lights look so bright, so I decided that two is enough for each side.
Rock_Lights_Materials.jpg

I have a trip coming up and want to add these rock lights by this weekend.

After wasting so much time researching to re-use that connector...I gave up and decided to cut my losses and buy parts to make my own connections. The rock lights look so bright, so I decided that two is enough for each side.

I have a trip coming up and want to add these rock lights by this weekend.

Pics after install!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom