1989 FJ-62 Having Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased a 1989 Toyota FJ-62 Landcruiser on April 21, 2020 (from a scoundrel, I might add.) It had just hit 200K miles when I bought it…had only had one owner before me. At first, the truck was great…and then things started to fall apart.

Current Major Issue

After a few months I noticed that the vehicle would not accelerate over about 40 mph. I took it to a shop. They told me that it was the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) so they replaced it….well that solved nothing and proved to me that they didn’t even test drive the thing to make sure it was working. A few weeks later, a buddy (who has the same car) test drove it and said he thought the transmission was not shifting properly. It seemed stuck for a while - pinned at 39mph and 3000 RPM…could not go faster. It seemed to resolve after a while as he was able to get it up to 55mph at mid-2000 RPM, but then maxed out. Others suggested my governor is stuck and/or I need to check the flux capacitor.

I live in the Charleston, SC area. Lex Tech used to work on old cruisers, but stopped. They suggested McIntosh Imports, who screwed me over on that TPS. Is there anyone out there who would help?

Look in the sticky section cruiser mechanics listed by state. Yours has 6 or so to choose from.

Look in the sticky section cruiser mechanics listed by state. Yours has 6 or so to choose from.

Thanks for thew scoop. Lex Tech won't work on old cruisers anymore and McIntosh is the one who seems to be taking me for a ride. Maybe I'll check out neighboring states.

I purchased a 1989 Toyota FJ-62 Landcruiser on April 21, 2020 (from a scoundrel, I might add.) It had just hit 200K miles when I bought it…had only had one owner before me. At first, the truck was great…and then things started to fall apart.

Current Major Issue

After a few months I noticed that the vehicle would not accelerate over about 40 mph. I took it to a shop. They told me that it was the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) so they replaced it….well that solved nothing and proved to me that they didn’t even test drive the thing to make sure it was working. A few weeks later, a buddy (who has the same car) test drove it and said he thought the transmission was not shifting properly. It seemed stuck for a while - pinned at 39mph and 3000 RPM…could not go faster. It seemed to resolve after a while as he was able to get it up to 55mph at mid-2000 RPM, but then maxed out. Others suggested my governor is stuck and/or I need to check the flux capacitor.

I live in the Charleston, SC area. Lex Tech used to work on old cruisers, but stopped. They suggested McIntosh Imports, who screwed me over on that TPS. Is there anyone out there who would help?
I work on them but I'm in coastal North Carolina outerbanks area

Current Major Issue

your best bet is to post up in a regional club forum and ask for recommendations...they probably get more traffic than the "recommend a mech forum". Here are the links to three in your area, or look at the "clubhouse" section above.

I recently had a similar problem with the 3FE (from an '89 FJ62 donor vehicle) in my '86 FJ60. It wouldn't rev at anything over ~2,400 rpm under load. It turns out, after dropping the fuel tank, that the fuel supply line was almost completely blocked with crud where it exits the tank. Works great now.

I second checking the kick-down cable.
Its actually called a transmission throttle position cable. I recommend starting with that also around 100 part will need to deop the transmission pan to change it out so you will also need gasket for that and of course transmission fluid.
Tommy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom