HELP - Garage fire 🔥 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My FJ40 project just got kicked in the ball sack but I don’t give up easily. First I have to build a garage again, but when that’s done I need a wiring harness. Does nobody make one? I can’t find one anywhere.
The FJ40 was from 3/80.

02FF58B5-200C-43AA-B058-777D34D3E213.jpeg

Dude, that’s horrible. Sorry.

Yeah it sucks. We’re all good but the insurance company is saying that the FJ doesn’t count as ”contents”. It has to be insured by auto insurance even though is a project that isn’t on the road

My sincere condolences.
I might suggest Coolerman for a good, correct harness. He is the Guru.
Last i heard, he was backed up for forever, but perhaps could fit you in after that.

Yeah it sucks. We’re all good but the insurance company is saying that the FJ doesn’t count as ”contents”. It has to be insured by auto insurance even though is a project that isn’t on the road
look at your policy and speak with a lawyer who specializes in insurance claims. That is terrible. I am sorry for your loss

I carry non op insurance on my project cruisers thru Hagerty. While I don't if I inventoried my parts could have those insured thru them as well. Not sure my home owners would cover parts. Even then would have to prove what I have and it's value.

Curious what caused the fire? Faulty wiring?

Don’t do anything hasty. Wait a few weeks. You may decide it’s just time to move on.

thanks guys. Yeah the first thing I have to do is rebuild. Then I’ll figure out what to do with whatever is left of the FJ.
The fire started in the chimney I think. It was an old barn/garage with a wood stove.

71887186-88CF-4911-84FF-33F77570129E.jpeg

That's heartbreaking, glad nobody was hurt.

bummer. it is painful to look at.
how did the fire not consume the adjacent building?
there is this guy in MT who has a harness from a 79, but the harness is the least of the issues.
X2 on insurance
unfortunetly there is alot of damage done to that rig.

Marks comment above could be spot on.

Wow, that's sad. If you haven't settled yet, I'd consider a Public Adjuster Firm. They're worth it.

What’s between the lines of mine and @3_puppies statement is having enough experience across the range of Landcruisers to know that the square bezel cruisers have the thinnest guage sheet metal, which is not only the most susceptible to rust, but to warpage from fire. ☹️

I was wondering about the bushes that looked to be right against the building in the last picture. They are still green.

As for the cruiser, depending on the pre fire condition with a solid frame might consider a full South America tub. Regardless the year have to think the fiberglass cap is toast. I have some 79 hard top sides and can't remember them being lighter than earlier years. Same with windshield frame, side and back doors. Agree figure out where you are at before doing anything. Like I said carry separate insurance on my project cruiser because I doubt my home owners would cover any vehicle without a special runner. Just auto parts would be a tough battle. A complete vehicle registered or not would be a hard sell it's covered. As far as I know a registered vehicles would fall under the auto policy not home owners. Hope I'm wrong but but not willing to count on it. In case of a fire I know what I will without a battle.

Hope it all shakes out in the end - I guess worst case, it might just mean a different style of build based on what you uncover - more "mod", less "resto".

Does look like most of the panels are still in brown paint under the soot, so seems like warping might be minimal...but just a guess based on the photo.

there is this guy in MT who has a harness from a 79, but the harness is the least of the issues.
X2 on insurance
unfortunetly there is alot of damage done
So the fire started on the opposite side and the corner Against the other shed and the bushes was my welding/fabrication corner so there wasn’t a lot of fuel for the fire in there. The exterior walls were actually still standing in that corner when they got the fire out. Then they proceeded to rip everything down and spread it out with the track hoe so they could spray any hot spots.
The tan FJ40 in my avatar is just a 72 shell. I’m new to the FJ scene (been doing CJs for years until I recently upgrade), but can I take the motor, transmission, t case out of the roasted one and put them in the 72? And then come up with a wiring harness that swings both ways (hey-oh).

can I take the motor, transmission, t case out of the roasted one and put them in the 72? And then come up with a wiring harness that swings both ways (hey-oh).

I would think every seal and hose would need to be replaced at the least.
really going to depend on how hot it got under the hood. I've seen alternators and valve covers melt.

You might say @kevos37 is our resident expert on the subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom