Bj42 3b engine oil and service (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,
Im planing on servicing my Bj42Lx 3b landcruiser and was wondering if there is anything that I should change or check other than the things on a standard service. Also what engine oil should I use and I can’t seem to find how to change the gearbox/transmission oil (5speed). Sorry about the basic question…I’m pretty new to the bj42 3b.

when changing the trans and transfer oil, be certain to get the fill plug loosened first, use 6 point sockets ground down so you get full engagement on the plug. you can change them out to allen plugs

• Diesel Specific
    • Be sure to do the fuel filter, I prefill mine with Liqui Moly Diesel Purge Plus - if you don't prefill it you'll have to prime it, either way you'll learn something. Dont use anything except the "Purge Plus" in the Liqui Moly range, its the only one of their products designed to run at near 100% concentration.
    • Drain, remove, disassemble and thoroughly clean the factory fuel sedimenter.
    • Drain any engine oil that has accumulated from blowby gases in the Injection Pump Governor Housing
    • Use a 15W40 Mineral Oil (diesel engine specific, I don't know where you are, but in Australia Castrol RX Super/RX Diesel is a good example
  • General Servicing
    • Consider changing the air filter if it hasn't been done in recent memory and don't forget the little large object trap underneath the housing, hardly anyone empties that.
    • If the valve clearances on your 3B haven't been done in living memory, consider checking those
    • Whilst you have it in for the service jack each corner up and check for bearing play and do a thorough under body inspection of everything you can see and touch.

Last edited:
  • Diesel Specific
    • Be sure to do the fuel filter, I prefill mine with Liqui Moly Diesel Purge Plus - if you don't prefill it you'll have to prime it, either way you'll learn something. Dont use anything except the "Purge Plus" in the Liqui Moly range, its the only one of their products designed to run at near 100% concentration.
    • Drain, remove, disassemble and thoroughly clean the factory fuel sedimenter.
    • Drain any engine oil that has accumulated from blowby gases in the Injection Pump Governor Housing
    • Use a 15W40 Mineral Oil (diesel engine specific, I don't know where you are, but in Australia Castrol RX Super/RX Diesel is a good example
  • General Servicing
    • Consider changing the air filter if it hasn't been done in recent memory and don't forget the little large object trap underneath the housing, hardly anyone empties that.
    • If the valve clearances on your 3B haven't been done in living memory, consider checking those

• Thanks Duncanrm,
      Couple questions and sorry yes I’m located in Melbourne Australia. Please correct me if I’m wrong.
      1. With the fuel filter should I only use the rayco brand.
      2. Where is the factory fuel sedimenter located and do I have to prefill it or anything?
      3.where is the drain plug for the injection pump governor? And how do I drain it….is it a simple unscrew and then once drained, tighten?

• Ryco is fine
  • Sedimenter is bolted to inside of the chassis roughly where the B Pillar is
1641688412352.png

• Governor housing drain screw.. this is the 2H.. same screw will be on the 3B pump though.. remove screw, let any accumulated oil flow out, replace.

• 1641688518136.png

• Ryco is fine
  • Sedimenter is bolted to inside of the chassis roughly where the B Pillar is
View attachment 2888067

• Governor housing drain screw.. this is the 2H.. same screw will be on the 3B pump though.. remove screw, let any accumulated oil flow out, replace.

• View attachment 2888069

Legend!!! Thanks mate. Is there any tricks to cleaning the sedimenter? Hopefully this improves how the car runs. I still can’t work out the slight rough idle issue 🤦‍♂️.

Legend!!! Thanks mate. Is there any tricks to cleaning the sedimenter? Hopefully this improves how the car runs. I still can’t work out the slight rough idle issue 🤦‍♂️.
If its running at highway speed OK its unlikely to be a sedimenter problem.. Maybe the idle is just set a little low? Or a single injector has a poor spray pattern.

If its running at highway speed OK its unlikely to be a sedimenter problem.. Maybe the idle is just set a little low? Or a single injector has a poor spray pattern.

Yeah it runs fine… well from what I think, I’m just not familiar with these cars/engines to know how it should run. The injectors have all been replaced by one of the best diesel fuel guys in melb. It just idles rough when I’m at the lights waiting. Also it’s sluggish going up hill but that could just be normal 🤷‍♂️. Have you got a contact number to reach you on… just don’t know anyone with the experience. If not comfortable giving it out that’s cool. Here’s mine 0402777054.

Check the diaphragm plastic tubes. Leak/crack causes unstable idle. Also if the diaphragm itself is cracked.

Also there is this in the maintenance procedures:
4E3901AE-2D92-43AE-B39C-591E9B40EC4D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom