Tips and Tricks for Newbies aka before asking, see here first. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hopefully I am not being a blatant jerk here. However with the number of part number requests and basic info, it appears to become overwhelming for the experts to respond to everyone.

Besides our vendors, CDan, and OGBeno have left a wealth of knowledge on this site. At this point they are either preserving cruiser history or enjoying their hobby (Which is what we are here for).

Please use the search function or type your issue into google and ad "Ih8mud". 90% of questions or issue can be resolved this way.

Better yet "Find your local Toyota parts professional", as one would say :).

As the OG's say "I have no dog in this fight". However it makes it super hard to get knowledge or parts for the now rare unobtanium oem stuff.

Thank you all for making this a great community.

For Google another option is to use site:forum.ih8mud.com "search term"

I use it all the time

Screenshot_20220108-001815_Chrome.jpg

Whilst I agree with the sentiment it is not as simple as that.

Search engines can throw up a hell of a lot of garbage and this alone makes searching laborious and often with fruitless results, a simple speeling error can send you in the wrong direction, even if you look at your own post 'Please use the search function or type your issue into google and ad "Ih8mud". 90% of questions or issue can be resolved this way.' Look where you typed 'and ad "Ih8mud" One simple letter missing could result in 'adverts from Ih8mud' or some other spurious results, I am of course not digging you out because of your spelling, until recently months after brain surgery I could not even pronounce my own name!

There is also the 'belonging to a forum' thinking as well, some.....no....perhaps many like to get on here and offer a helping post? I for example have returned after a long term illness, and as a mechanic with 50 years experience continue to hope I can help someone out, if all answers are available without asking a question on the forum then this and other forums simply lose their attraction or 'draw' The result would be less 'helpers' and of course less exposure to adverts which help pay for the site. I would also take a bet that a lot of friends have come together by the interaction with fellow posters simple by getting a discussion going.

I would guess that every question about the '80' for example has been answered, and of course would eventually be found if you spent enough time using Google however, for some it is just not the same as getting involved with fellow owners.

Without malice.

Regards

Dave

Whilst I agree with the sentiment it is not as simple as that.

Search engines can throw up a hell of a lot of garbage and this alone makes searching laborious and often with fruitless results, a simple speeling error can send you in the wrong direction, even if you look at your own post 'Please use the search function or type your issue into google and ad "Ih8mud". 90% of questions or issue can be resolved this way.' Look where you typed 'and ad "Ih8mud" One simple letter missing could result in 'adverts from Ih8mud' or some other spurious results, I am of course not digging you out because of your spelling, until recently months after brain surgery I could not even pronounce my own name!

There is also the 'belonging to a forum' thinking as well, some.....no....perhaps many like to get on here and offer a helping post? I for example have returned after a long term illness, and as a mechanic with 50 years experience continue to hope I can help someone out, if all answers are available without asking a question on the forum then this and other forums simply lose their attraction or 'draw' The result would be less 'helpers' and of course less exposure to adverts which help pay for the site. I would also take a bet that a lot of friends have come together by the interaction with fellow posters simple by getting a discussion going.

I would guess that every question about the '80' for example has been answered, and of course would eventually be found if you spent enough time using Google however, for some it is just not the same as getting involved with fellow owners.

Without malice.

Regards

Dave
Dave, I actually 100% agree with you. In my option there was a resurrection in the hobby follow by a flood of new owners. Unfortunately we had some cruiser experts retire, some pass away, and some just become disenchanted with the hobby.

Glad you are here and grateful for any one with your experience to contribute to help grow the hobby.

I have just experience frustration with key members we need and am hoping for a better system as new members join the hobby.

I just personally think its best if your question is not one that is answered a million times on here and is readily available. Everyone has trouble finding answers sometimes but Ive seen questions like, "im to lazy to look so could some tell me what size bolt fits seat belt" or "how big a tire can you fit without a lift". I like to see someone at least make an effort.

Just me though

Dave, I actually 100% agree with you. In my option there was a resurrection in the hobby follow by a flood of new owners. Unfortunately we had some cruiser experts retire, some pass away, and some just become disenchanted with the hobby.

Glad you are here and grateful for any one with your experience to contribute to help grow the hobby.

I have just experience frustration with key members we need and am hoping for a better system as new members join the hobby.
JMHO
You seem to be a newer member your self and your posts come across pretty cocky at times just sayin :p

my flame suit is ready fire away ;)

Some threads based on things have information that is decades old and doesn't apply anymore with dead links, discontinued parts/vendors or has been drastically updated with new methods, I don't think there is anything wrong with re-hashing old topics in the instance of a 30 year old platform. If you just point people to old threads then nothing evolves and in the case of our 80's a lot has changed the past few years as far as availability of parts, vendors and things of that nature.

Last edited:
There are no new problems, only new owners. :p

I’m not a geezer. I just learned how to be a geezer from other Land Cruiser geezers.

@cruiserdan is definitely a geezer. I learned my best ornery (onury?… :lol: ) from him.

:flipoff2:
:flipoff2:

JMHO
You seem to be a newer member your self and your posts come across pretty cocky at times just sayin :p

my flame suit is ready fir

So right but hey, he came to the forum to find out about his 80? He just wants to give us some friendly advice, I am sure he is a learner, he did buy an 80 after all.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
There are no new problems, only new owners. :p
That sums it up right there. If you are patient, and willing to read, there is no technical issue on these trucks that has not already been “discovered”, diagnosed, and solved in these pages.

@Dave 2000 it is good to have you back. Your contributions were missed.

while i'm not "new" here based on my join date, or at geezer stage yet, i am new to the 80 platform. i research my topic of interest heavily before asking a question, usually replying to an existing thread to keep all responses together. its true that some of the links, pictures, etc have died over the years. starting a whole new thread seems somehow wrong to me, but i know some believe otherwise. not sure what the mud preference is here?

i find the built-in search function for this forum hardly returns the results i desire. or it is on page 9. maybe i'm using it wrong. using google like Dusten pointed out works so much better, but does search the entire forum, not just the 80 technical section. i usually add "80" to my search term to try and narrow it, if it is vehicle specific.

Google definitely has the best search engine, and what I use when searching.

Of course I'm biased as my Son works for Google ;)

Search engines can throw up a hell of a lot of garbage and this alone makes searching laborious and often with fruitless results
Everyone has trouble finding answers sometimes but Ive seen questions like, "im to lazy to look so could some tell me what size bolt fits seat belt" or "how big a tire can you fit without a lift". I like to see someone at least make an effort.
Some threads based on things have information that is decades old and doesn't apply anymore with dead links, discontinued parts/vendors or has been drastically updated with new methods, I don't think there is anything wrong with re-hashing old topics in the instance of a 30 year old platform. If you just point people to old threads then nothing evolves and in the case of our 80's a lot has changed the past few years as far as availability of parts, vendors and things of that nature.

These are all true with last one is probably the most true. Search engines remember your search's and will tailor your responses to what "IT" thinks you should see.

What is a forum?
To me its a place where people get together chat, share ideas and meet new people. Its a place where new people can find information. Where do you think the search engines tend to sent people who ask questions about Cruisers? I've searched out questions just to be pointed to a MUD thread that someone responded with "DO A SEARCH". On my 19 Tacoma, trying to find the best tire size that doesn't interfere with my electronics, I got pointed to another forum and most of the responses were "Do a search" and "OMG is that question being asked again?".

I've been reading forums (like most of you) since they were called bulletin boards. It seems in every single one I read there is a common theme, the people that have been on the forum quite a while get tired of seeing the same questions year after year. They respond with sarcasm, tell the new person just how stupid their question is and how they should have found it on their own or, my absolute favorite "Check the outdated sticky thread with the broken links". This isn't just here, I see it on all the forums I read.

If someone is asking a question that you think is redundant, don't answer if you cant be helpful.

This forum is the biggest resource for info on Land Cruisers in the world. Fortunately there are those who actually still help people. Before you jump in and say "Do a search" its possible they did or don't know how to get the correct info.

How many threads have we seen that start with "I already tried to search this"? That in itself says everything.

At this point every question asked about anything mechanical or electrical on a Cruiser has been asked multiple times. Take all of those away and look what's left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom