Steering Box Rebuild? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody know if $1500 to rebuild my steering box is the going rate in the Phoenix area? Or am I being robbed? I’m hearing there’s only one place that does it in the valley? Are new ones no longer available? Any recommendations or feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Yes that seems really high. They show $426.00 at Red head steering. You would have to send yours in. A brand new on eBay was $1900 plus shipping. Other route is to rebuild yourself, which can be done for pretty cheap.

I will also say things are getting out of control with inflation and the prices these mom and pops shops are charging. I was looking to getting my doors recovered. The first shop wanted $600.00 a door card. The second said they were to busy and didn’t want to touch them and labor rate was $65.00 an hour. The last one wanted to dye them at $65.00 at door. The dye seemed pretty good so I said go for it. Then I started thinking who knows what this guy is gonna do. He may just spray paint them and call it a day. So after all that, bought a stapler some material and doing it myself and those door cards from Australia.

Last edited:
Carmarka.com lists p/n 44110-60212 at $1213, Amayama is around $1600, and Partsouq is around $1700. $1500 for a rebuild is nuts. Plus, I think that part number is for the 105-series steering box, which has a stronger output shaft.

If you're just rebuilding for a leak, it's really not hard to do it yourself, and the Gates seal set from RockAuto works great. By far the hardest part is getting those stupid recirculating ball bearings back in place.

Redhead is popular (no personal experience):

Partsouq has new OEM for $1700. This is the route I went and couldn't be happier. The first one lasted 20 years, I expect the same from this one.

FRONT STEERING GEAR & LINK | Lexus LEXUS LX450 FZJ80L-GNPGKA FZJ80 | Parts Catalogs | PartSouq - https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/genuine/unit?c=Lexus&ssd=%24%2AKwEnEwImV1l0XX5ycEJ4F39rS0xSIywhIDIsHm42ZzAvNkkzYGA9Ny4hb2thenUMOXx2fXcwLyY_MyorOjcuMSYgJCYzYGA3ezYpMFhXWCB4cB83aW1kfHBTam4hPTcuMzAiLSEleHJ8OTQxe2E2KTFuEh9HVV4wOTQxfC9gZDU2VUhfLCNdYQUQRVNYUzc4MzM6IXwvNH1neXg_MW4kN3E2KTIkaQAAAAC5-ZdI%24&vid=0&cid=2&uid=388506&q=

Edit - @gummycarbs beat me to it ...:)

box.jpg

Was that quote including the upgraded parts (105 series)?

Was that quote including the upgraded parts (105 series)?
Yes. It has the upgraded 105 shaft which means you need the appropriate pitman arm as well (next line item down).
I bought both from PartSouq and the parts mated up fine. This was three years ago, but IIRC I believe shipping was $150ish back then.

I can’t believe people pay to have these boxes “rebuilt”.

No one is rebuilding s*** in the US when it comes to a Toyota gear box. NO ONE.

They are “resealing.” Or giving you a China-com box.

Just ****ing buy a new box. Amortize that over the life of your ownership. Period. It’s literally less than a cent a day.

Be smart about critical components.

Last edited:
^^^this is more palatable now that new boxes aren't over $3k like they were several years ago.

Just for the mention, the diy Joe Dirt option is the following:
1 - 04445-60050 - Steering box reseal kit - EBAY- $110
2* - 44154-30020 - Power piston plunger guide nut - Partsouq - $5 (*the smart guy only needs one :facepalm:)
1 - 18-32-7-DL - Input shaft seal part number (not Toyota) - Ebay - $8 (may or may not come in the OEM reseal kit)
1 - 44120-60180 - VALVE ASSY, W/BALL NUT - ~$400 (this part makes your box essentially new, minus the 105 bits)

I can’t believe people pay to have these boxes “rebuilt”.

No one is rebuilding s*** in the US when it comes to a Toyota gear box. NO ONE.

They are “resealing.” Or giving you a China-com box.

Just f***ing buy a new box. Amortize that over the life of your ownership. Period. It’s literally less than a cent a day.

Be smart about critical components.
Could not agree more. Bought a rebuild from Rock Auto was junk and learned the hard way and got a new Toyota oem. Never looked back and works great.

You can buy a new (rebuilt?) steering box from Rock Auto as well and some do come with the 105 sector shaft upgrade.

I did some research awhile back and confirmed the output shaft diameter is in fact the same as the 105.

Steering Box

And just one of the many places to find a 105 pitman arm at.

Pitman Arm

The OG factory PN is 45411-60350

Last edited:
Having a shop that is setup to rebuild/resale these in such a quick turn around for not crazy money is far better use of my time than rebuilding/resealing here 🍺

You can buy a new (rebuilt?) steering box from Rock Auto as well and some do come with the 105 sector shaft upgrade.

I did some research awhile back and confirmed the output shaft diameter is in fact the same as the 105.

Steering Box

And just one of the many places to find a 105 pitman arm at.

Pitman Arm

The OG factory PN is 45411-60350
Buying a RockAuto power steering gear box is akin to going to Wal Mart to buy a wedding ring for Claudia Schiffer.

:meh:

Buying a RockAuto power steering gear box is akin to going to Wal Mart to buy a wedding ring for Claudia Schiffer.

:meh:

The original reason for my post was to provide the OP with some options.

Hi all.

I LOVE all the feedback! Ok, I’ll provide a little more context that I previously lef out for fear of getting lambasted. Lol!

Im actually having some tune up and fuel system flush work done at a valley Toyota dealership and they were the ones saying new steering boxes aren’t available and thats why they’re saying rebuild is the only option. But somebody on this string showed me an OEM one that was available. I think my service rep is being lazy And only looking in one place. I gotta find a new one. I’m keeping my cruiser forever and I prefer to find new OEM whenever possible.

Hi all.

I LOVE all the feedback! Ok, I’ll provide a little more context that I previously lef out for fear of getting lambasted. Lol!

Im actually having some tune up and fuel system flush work done at a valley Toyota dealership and they were the ones saying new steering boxes aren’t available and thats why they’re saying rebuild is the only option. But somebody on this string showed me an OEM one that was available. I think my service rep is being lazy And only looking in one place. I gotta find a new one. I’m keeping my cruiser forever and I prefer to find new OEM whenever possible.

Dont worry I was the one getting blasted for recommending rock auto, but if you can source a new one and afford a new one then do it. I have priced having red top rebuild one for me with the 105 parts and I think it was still cheaper then OEM.

Not having the right measuring tools, I had mine rebuilt by a recommended shop. Cost was about 475USD) So far it seems to have worked out ok. (Yes I know I missed the opportunity for new tools)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom