Extending Range to 500 miles. Best Options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tachycardic

SILVER Star
Threads
1) Keep the 1FZ-FE (300K miles and in good condition) and add a 24 gal aux tank.
2) Diesel engine/tranny swap (1HD-FTE vs. R2.8)
3) Carry 2 more jerry cans (total 4 x 5 gal)

Option 3 is clearly the cheapest, but most clumsy. Buying something newer (eg. 4Runner, Sequoia, later-model LC) won't improve range that much, plus I prefer to keep the 80.

I'm leaning towards option 2 because I do some towing (up to 2500 pounds) and the extra oomph would be greatly appreciated. The average price of a new comparable SUV is well over 50k now, and the money for a 5-10 year old used SUV can pay for an engine/tranny swap. Thoughts?

I had read that those with the 5.3L were reporting about 15-16 MPG combined--definitely better than the 12.5 MPG I'm getting. I guess I was dreaming of 20 MPG and carrying around less weight. There's no denying that the increase in parts availability with the LS is a huge bonus! I'll consider it!

I would vote gas cans or tank, for me the 1fz is the proper heart for the 80.

The Toyota diesel is obviously the dream for a US 80, but it’s not worth anything close to the 15-20k to get one in and hooked up.

That’s quite a spread, your 3 options range from $50-$20,000ish…
I guess my point is that I have survived a life-changing event, and I'm okay (wife is too!) with treating myself to something nice.

I totally understand the Toyota purist thing, but I'm okay with bastardizing my LC. I'm more concerned about the adventures I want to take with the 80.

In the 3 longest trips my wife and I have done in the LX450, 7600, 4200, 3600 miles across the US and Canada, I have never had any issue with lack of fuel. I had 3 Gerry cans on the rear swingout that I never used. 15 gallons would have added close to 200 miles (500 miles total), depending on speed. I took them for piece of mind because we didn't know the areas we were traveling to.
Granted, we weren't "overlanding" or any such nonsense, but within most of north America fuel is not an issue.

I guess my point is that I have survived a life-changing event, and I'm okay (wife is too!) with treating myself to something nice.

I totally understand the Toyota purist thing, but I'm okay with bastardizing my LC. I'm more concerned about the adventures I want to take with the 80.
Not a Toyota purists thing for me. I just think it costs too much and will still drive like a tractor.

In the 3 longest trips my wife and I have done in the LX450, 7600, 4200, 3600 miles across the US and Canada, I have never had any issue with lack of fuel. I had 3 Gerry cans on the rear swingout that I never used. 15 gallons would have added close to 200 miles (500 miles total), depending on speed. I took them for piece of mind because we didn't know the areas we were traveling to.
Granted, we weren't "overlanding" or any such nonsense, but within most of north America fuel is not an issue.
I should add that the primary use for my 80 is overlanding through most of the Rockies to the west coast while towing a teardrop. I've spent extensive time in the middle of nowhere western Cali, Nevada and Utah, and I have had gas concerns from time to time. If I stick to a plan, you're right, there's no issue with finding a gas station. But I've had to abandon several side trips due to gas concerns. That being said, diesel availability has been an issue in some areas--the LS swap is looking better and better.

While gas stations are plentiful they are not always on the route. There are many spots out in western kansas or down in arkansas where stations are 60 plus miles between towns or quite a bit out of the way. I hate having to stop to get gas at half a tank cause the next town is 90 miles. I also hate getting stuck paying an extra .50 or .80 cents a gallons cause you have to fill up in a backwards area.

I know when we play around my area I will drive 60 miles to arkansas, fill up and spend 2 days driving backroads and trails and then limp back out with gas light on. I was leaning towards long range tank but the cost has skyrocketed.

Also for me traveling 15 gallons will get an extra 150 miles. My truck is thirsty. Light comes on at 200 miles

1) Keep the 1FZ-FE (300K miles and in good condition) and add a 24 gal aux tank.
2) Diesel engine/tranny swap (1HD-FTE vs. R2.8)
3) Carry 2 more jerry cans (total 4 x 5 gal)

Option 3 is clearly the cheapest, but most clumsy. Buying something newer (eg. 4Runner, Sequoia, later-model LC) won't improve range that much, plus I prefer to keep the 80.

I'm leaning towards option 2 because I do some towing (up to 2500 pounds) and the extra oomph would be greatly appreciated. The average price of a new comparable SUV is well over 50k now, and the money for a 5-10 year old used SUV can pay for an engine/tranny swap. Thoughts?
Yeah, if you tow, I say go for option 2. Or the crowd-posited option 4.
That 1FZ will eventually need about an engine-swaps worth of love.
May as well cut to the chase.

Tank if you have the means, cans if you don't. For me 15 gal is a minimum either way.

I spend, well I used to spend 😢, quite a bit of time on hunting trips. 7 - 10 days was not unusual. I wasn't far from the nearest gas, about 35 to 40 miles, but it was over rough roads. Depending on weather, 3 to 4 hours to get back to the nearest pump. Effectively kills a day out in god's glory. The additional 15 gals would save me at least one, and sometimes two, trips back into town. Everyday out under the sun is priceless...

Food and provisions were never the problem, it is the go juice. With the way I like to enjoy the outdoors, more gas storage is a necessity.

Last edited:
Classic cruisers does 6bt swaps. Would be much easier to find 6bt parts rather non USA diesel Toyota parts.
I had read that there is a significant increase in noise and vibration over other diesels. Maybe that was the 4BT. Either way, I'll check them out thanks.

Or Option 4: EV conversion with an onboard Honda generator to recharge the battery pack when away from a charging station??

Watch the video: he blows everything else out of the water (or sand box)
and almost becomes airborne doing it.

I have the HDJ 80 12 valve with stock tyres and no engine/transmission mods apart from the 12 volt starter and larger alternator. I get 30 MPG (Imp) very day of the week, often more on a good run, I cannot ever remember getting less that 26 MPG. I am a fill it to the brim and check mileage kind of guy so know my figures are good. I would go for the Toyota swap if money is not a an issue. The plus side here is everything is available from breakers and other suppliers, the engines are trouble free and much easier to fit. If on the other hand an LS1 with a bolt in conversion is available then go with that, but costs mount if there is nothing off the shelf.

Regards

Dave

I have the HDJ 80 12 valve with stock tyres and no engine/transmission mods apart from the 12 volt starter and larger alternator. I get 30 MPG (Imp) very day of the week, often more on a good run, I cannot ever remember getting less that 26 MPG. I am a fill it to the brim and check mileage kind of guy so know my figures are good. I would go for the Toyota swap if money is not a an issue. The plus side here is everything is available from breakers and other suppliers, the engines are trouble free and much easier to fit. If on the other hand an LS1 with a bolt in conversion is available then go with that, but costs mount if there is nothing off the shelf.

Regards

Dave

Your 30 mpg is almost 25 here.

With the tank converted to imperial gallons, you'd need 24 mpg imperial to get 500 miles from a tank and that's sucking it bone dry. Still not ideal.

I am a track every tank on a spreadsheet guy and I have a hard believing my 35's are costing me 8-9mpg.

Regards

Dave

Also because we are stateside, the diesel isn't available at breakers. The LS is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom