2000+ cruisers with aftermarket lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MACKSDAD

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey everyone, I’m looking to adding a new arb air locker to my rear diff on my 2001 LC. I looked up and down forums for some people who have done this.
From what I heard it shouldn’t be a problem. So, why don’t more 100s do this modification? (Yes I know atrac is the god sent traction control device that 100 series owners love like their first child.) 🤣
Anyways if you have added a rear locker to a 2000+ LC let me know what your experience has been, what should I look out for? What issues might I run into? Are you happy with the mod? I should be getting mine put in ad mudrak around March if everything goes to plan, and want to get as much info as I can before then. Thanks mud boys
178B93F6-986C-4244-B965-E613A57494A9.jpeg
👍🏽

Here ya go...

Also, single best locker demonstration with pros/cons of front vs rear video I've found on Youtube.

Common sense says rear locker first but the weak link of 100 series driveline is front diff- and adding locker to the front helps minimize the chances of carrier flex and breaking teeth from ring gear. Of course learning how to drive around that weakness also helps to mitigate broken front diff- but it still happens even to skilled drivers. So if you were to do just one locker consider front first.

If you wheel your truck in challenging terrain frequently- look both ends and consider reggae re-gear while your diffs are apart. 2-3 years down the road you'll regret not doing it with the labor cost of going back in to set up the gears. My .02

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I’m looking to adding a new arb air locker to my rear diff on my 2001 LC. I looked up and down forums for some people who have done this.
From what I heard it shouldn’t be a problem. So, why don’t more 100s do this modification? (Yes I know atrac is the god sent traction control device that 100 series owners love like their first child.) 🤣
Anyways if you have added a rear locker to a 2000+ LC let me know what your experience has been, what should I look out for? What issues might I run into? Are you happy with the mod? I should be getting mine put in ad mudrak around March if everything goes to plan, and want to get as much info as I can before then. Thanks mud boysView attachment 2886434👍🏽

I'd say the reason more people don't do it is cost. ARB compressor + locker + install = $$$. Secondly, most folks just don't wheel hard enough to need a locker and justify the cost.

I'd like to lock the rear in my 01 some day, but if I do it will be by pulling a locked rear from a 98-99 junk yard find and swapping it over. ARB's are awesome, but I'm married with children! :p

Is this the Bob Marley mod? 🤦‍♂️
LOL- Yeah man- ( that f'ng auto spell correcting nanny crap) I thought my loud mouth preceded me but looks like my fat fingers tripped me up this time-

I do like Bob Marley though

LOL- Yeah man- ( that f'ng auto spell correcting nanny crap) I thought my loud mouth preceded me but looks like my fat fingers tripped me up this time-

I do like Bob Marley though
I knew what you meant, I tried to resist, but it was too good to let it go!

I don't wheel hard enough to need it or to have broken my front diff. Atrac has gotten me out in hard situation, and I haven't gotten into a situation where I've felt like I've needed it.

Other side of the spectrum is the youtube/Instagram crowd who spend 10's of thousands on wheels, tires, suspension, and bolt on accessories but won't drop 3k on a pair of lockers so you see them either getting stuck in some mild stuff or using the skinny peddle and breaking things to get through instead. Like ay bro, skip the 3rd set of wheels in a year and put some lockers in instead. Problem is you can't "see" lockers in that cool shot for the grams.

Other side of the spectrum is the youtube/Instagram crowd who spend 10's of thousands on wheels, tires, suspension, and bolt on accessories but won't drop 3k on a pair of lockers so you see them either getting stuck in some mild stuff or using the skinny peddle and breaking things to get through instead. Like ay bro, skip the 3rd set of wheels in a year and put some lockers in instead. Problem is you can't "see" lockers in that cool shot for the grams.
Lol.

It’s funny to see. I get people having low of money to blow. Great. But personally, function or aesthetics. 1500 for wheels, or 1500 for locker and regear to vroom vroom those 35s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom