SBC Power Steering Pump Bracket Interference with Motor Mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It looks like an update to provide better clamping force for the nuts/bolts in the slots. You can see it in the pic of the assembled unit on top of the slotted area.
It’s a plate to fix the side to side positioning. I always figured they were left slotted do compensate to some degree for a 40s frame flex.

My bet is they are giving rubber cushions that are way too rubbery/allow way too much movement, so they are eliminating the movement with the bracket in yellow.

Just wanted to give an update. Thanks again for everyone’s input it really provided me with ideas and options.

I had time last weekend and Monday to visit the local pick n pull junkyard. I ended up getting brackets from different vehicles and a different pump. Took it home and used the one that worked best with the least amount of effort to fab up.

This is what I came up with and seems to work very well.

406B8EA6-E720-4438-8D6F-D95B52E1669B.jpeg

BD837276-93B8-4F96-B459-EE41B2F71C6D.jpeg

Drove it around the neighborhood and everything felt nice and tight. When I pulled it in the garage and kept it idling to check for leaks and any other issues, everything looked nice and tight but I have a leak that is coming from the front of the gear box input shaft area. 👎

The leak seems pretty bad. It may be a bad seal. Are the seals easy to replace on these old Saginaw boxes? Is it worth replacing or better to order a new one?

I’ve never worked on one of these boxes. Since your box is nice and tight, I’d be inclined to replace the seal. I’ve read that cheaper rebuilt boxes are somewhat of a crap shoot. They may have more play, and trying to get a four turn lock to lock box often requires ordering multiple in and picking the one that’s right. Some mudders report getting used to quick ratio boxes. Having just done a P/S conversion, I’d say you can’t go wrong with a 4.25 turn box… and you may hate a 2.5 turn one.

I’ve never worked on one of these boxes. Since your box is nice and tight, I’d be inclined to replace the seal. I’ve read that cheaper rebuilt boxes are somewhat of a crap shoot. They may have more play, and trying to get a four turn lock to lock box often requires ordering multiple in and picking the one that’s right. Some mudders report getting used to quick ratio boxes. Having just done a P/S conversion, I’d say you can’t go wrong with a 4.25 turn box… and you may hate a 2.5 turn one.

I’m not sure which box I have. I’m finishing the job that the PO started. I get 3 and a half turns lock to lock.
Here’s a picture of the installed box. Anyone know of which seal kit to use?

F9D67081-4275-425F-B936-802E8412A70F.jpeg

Thanks for the link. I read it 3x and still not convinced which direction I’m going to take yet but I’m partial to buying a new one since it may be the easiest forward path.
This FJ40 project is a lot more work and time than I anticipated. May have to hire out to finish the remaining work since my FZJ80 is not getting any attention. 😂

Looks like a 4 bolt box. I can understand how much time projects like this can eat up. I can completely understand buying the new box.

Recently I bought a rebuilt power steering pump rather than test another spare pump to see if it wasn't noisy and worked well. It was well worth the $35 to only have to remove and replace it.

This might help identify your box:

Just wanted to give an update. Thanks again for everyone’s input it really provided me with ideas and options.

I had time last weekend and Monday to visit the local pick n pull junkyard. I ended up getting brackets from different vehicles and a different pump. Took it home and used the one that worked best with the least amount of effort to fab up.

This is what I came up with and seems to work very well.

View attachment 2886532

View attachment 2886533
BTW, the pressed on pulley can be pushed on further or pulled out to adjust the alignment if it is off.

Here is what I did. Used a power steering pump from a 1970 GMC pickup. Modified the rear bracket. Used a gates 7440 belt.

Next step is to install a mini truck steering gear

20231225_215815.jpg

20231225_215833.jpg

FWIW, if you want to leave all that alone try the electric assist steering, wngrog installed one on a 40 maybe 6 months ago and it worked well.
Others have poste dthe use of the electric assist and have similar reviews, its good and may solve the packaging issues with hyd pump.

FWIW, if you want to leave all that alone try the electric assist steering, wngrog installed one on a 40 maybe 6 months ago and it worked well.
Others have poste dthe use of the electric assist and have similar reviews, its good and may solve the packaging issues with hyd pump

I looked around online and the cost appears to high. Do you have details on what parts you got and cost.

I have not installed one, search wngrog on here, not sure which thread but it was maybe Oct IIRC he did one. Yes, pricey but its is somewhat simple. Depends on what you want to do with rig too. I would think with a little fabbing you could overcome the mount interference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom