Solved: Rear window stuck all the way up, rear wiper won't turn on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ozarkmud

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi everyone,

I have a '98 4Runner. I found it recently with a dead battery. I've tracked it down to the rear hatch. It's pulling about 8 or 9 amps.

If I disconnect the ECU, or the... 6? 8? pin connector, the drain goes away.

With it connected, I can hear the window relay click when I try to roll the window down, but nothing happens beyond that. I can also engage the rear window sprayer, but the wiper won't go.

This happened out of the blue, I guess after the last drive which wasn't particularly eventful.

I'm not sure if the hatch ECU is bad or if there's something else going on. With the connector facing up, the top right relay seems to be slightly warm when it's in and no buttons are pressed.

Would appreciate any pointers you can offer.

Thank you!

When youre key on, does the relay click when you plug it in. Sounds like the relay is stuck.
This is a fail from the button and keyswitch i assume?

When youre key on, does the relay click when you plug it in. Sounds like the relay is stuck.
This is a fail from the button and keyswitch i assume?

Thanks for the reply! I can hear the relay when I press the button to pull the window down. I'm not sure if it's a failed button or not.

I haven't tried unplugging the button. If I disconnect the hatch ECU, and/or the 6 (or maybe 8?) pin connector going off it, the drain goes away.

Right. but is the switch the fail or the relay.
You really need wiring diagrams here bud. Diag through the ether is difficult.

Right. but is the switch the fail or the relay.
You really need wiring diagrams here bud. Diag through the ether is difficult.

Yeah, I do need to look at the wiring diagram. Just so many wires on these.

I think it's not the switch because it draws all the time, even without the key on. Only in the on position does the window roll up/down from the switch.

I can't get the window to go up or down with the key. It used to work fine.

I was just thinking, since the wiper won't go, if the rear window is down or the button is pressed to hold the window up, does the rear wiper not activate?

I wonder if the window is stuck trying to actuate up, which I imagine could take about 10 amps. Since the only other symptom is the rear wiper not going (but the wiper fluid does), I think the cause might be related to that.

I appreciate all of your help. I'll have to get back out there and tinker with it some more.

I have a rear hatch harness I pulled from my 98 after its wreck been holding on to it for some reason. It was working great with no issues so if you end up needing it lmk and you can have it if you pay shipping I dont really need it.

I have a rear hatch harness I pulled from my 98 after its wreck been holding on to it for some reason. It was working great with no issues so if you end up needing it lmk and you can have it if you pay shipping I dont really need it.
I appreciate that! Thank you!

I ended up tracking this down to the key switch. There's a 3 pin harness coming off the key switch. It must've been stuck trying to push the window up. I disconnected it for now and can make the window go up/down and use the rear wiper from inside.

I'll have to take it apart more and clean out those contacts in the future. It seems like the rear key spot is prone to dirt and problems as it is. I wonder if there's some kind of shield or dirt diverter that can be installed. Maybe even some kind of piece of rubber with a slit in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom