Transfer Case Shifter Assembly-Cast or forged? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can someone answer this question or who has modified/welded on them? I need to make changes. It looks forged. I've welded cast parts but would rather not. I'll just fabricate a new one if it is cast. Just checking before I go screwing it up.

T case linkage.jpg

What part? What you have picture is a four speed transfer case shifter modified to work on a aftermarket setup. Can tell you the shifter that has the handle has been heated and bend back below the the point is bolts to shifter that shift into 4WD. Can see how the bent piece is not in alignment with high/low shift rod.

What part? What you have picture is a four speed transfer case shifter modified to work on a aftermarket setup. Can tell you the shifter that has the handle has been heated and bend back below the the point is bolts to shifter that shift into 4WD. Can see how the bent piece is not in alignment with high/low shift rod.
The only thing modified so far is the lug to the 2/4 shift rod. The rest is how it cam out of my 74. I know it is a later setup, but I didn't know it had been bent. It did seem weird that the H/L arm was at an odd angle. You don't know what you don't know, and this is how I found it behind the factory 4 speed.

But, thank you for indirectly answering my question. If that was bent by someone, then it is most likely not cast. That is part of what I need to change and put back to where it should be. I'm putting a ball link there instead of that wonky connection. But, I guess it wouldn't be so bad if it were set up properly with the ball on the correct side of the H/L arm. Also need to put a z in the shifter lever and add some length.

Last edited:
Maybe now would be a good time to put in a twin stick kit from Valley Hybrids or AA?

The only thing modified so far is the lug to the 2/4 shift rod. The rest is how it cam out of my 74. I know it is a later setup, but I didn't know it had been bent. It did seem weird that the H/L arm was at an odd angle. You don't know what you don't know, and this is how I found it behind the factory 4 speed.

But, thank you for indirectly answering my question. If that was bent by someone, then it is most likely not cast. That is part of what I need to change and put back to where it should be. I'm putting a ball link there instead of that wonky connection. But, I guess it wouldn't be so bad if it were set up properly with the ball on the correct side of the H/L arm. Also need to put a z in the shifter lever and add some length.

Not much in that setup looks OEM. Been collecting parts for upgrading drive trains for years.
IMG_2810.JPG
levers.jpg
20220103_140812.jpg

Mixing and matching Land Cruiser shifters can makes things work will little mods. Not sure how well your current setup shifted between high and low ranges.

One of these is a stock 40 series with a H55F transfer shifter. The other is a 60 series shifter with 4WD lever from a later 70series, nothing modified just bolted together.
IMG_2798.JPG
IMG_20200219_141030884.jpg

Not much in that setup looks OEM. Been collecting parts for upgrading drive trains for years.
View attachment 2885401View attachment 2885402View attachment 2885403

Mixing and matching Land Cruiser shifters can makes things work will little mods. Not sure how well your current setup shifted between high and low ranges.

One of these is a stock 40 series with a H55F transfer shifter. The other is a 60 series shifter with 4WD lever from a later 70series, nothing modified just bolted together.
View attachment 2885420View attachment 2885419

Thanks. I can see now how dorked the lower end of my shift lever is. Except for the bent lever, the linkage looks OEM to me. If you're referring to the mounting bracket, NV4500, and adapter, I know it is not OEM. I built it.

I flipped the H/L arm like it's supposed to be and it doesn't function as it should. It bumps H/L to neutral when in 2wd. It only works correctly as pictured. Again, I didn't change it or bend it from when it was on my factory 4 speed. Same linkage below. Same T-case, as well.

As far as twin stick goes, I considered it a while ago. I could fabricate it myself. I didn't see any advantage other than it's "cool." Just not interested.

4speed.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom