Winter Storage-Spring Startup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ40Savvy

SILVER Star
Threads
Looking for some advice on winter storage since this is the first winter. I have a 1973 FJ40 with a stock F-Engine. Louie is stored in a climate controlled garage that I use a workshop. The minimum temperature for the workshop is set at 40 F. I have put fuel stabilizer in the gas tank and the battery is disconnected(negative terminal disconnect) and on a battery tender. Should I being doing anything else? I wonder what others do for long term storage?

Some thoughts...

Should I be starting it every couple weeks/once a month?
Should I be cranking it every couple weeks/once a month with the coil disconnected to circulate oil?
For spring startup, should I be doing anything special for the first start?

Looking for some advice on winter storage since this is the first winter. I have a 1973 FJ40 with a stock F-Engine. Louie is stored in a climate controlled garage that I use a workshop. The minimum temperature for the workshop is set at 40 F. I have put fuel stabilizer in the gas tank and the battery is disconnected(negative terminal disconnect) and on a battery tender. Should I being doing anything else? I wonder what others do for long term storage?

Some thoughts...

Should I be starting it every couple weeks/once a month?
Should I be cranking it every couple weeks/once a month with the coil disconnected to circulate oil?
For spring startup, should I be doing anything special for the first start?

What you have already done is more than I would do, if I wasn't going to drive mine for 4-6 months. :)

Hook the battery back up and you're good to go in the spring.

I’d probably avoid starting it without driving it, since that just leaves moisture in the exhaust system and potentially your crankcase. I’d take it for a drive every month or two, if possible. That’s what I do up here in the mountains this time of year. Things just sorta start breaking when a vehicle sits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom