92 FJ80 Trans Quirks and Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1992 FJ80 with the 3FE and A440F trans. When my family bought it (to later pass to me) we noticed the gear markings on the side of the knob do not go with the indicator on the dash. The dash reading is the correct one but has anyone else experienced this? Is there anything I can do to make the knob indicator accurate?

Another thing; my parents bought a 1991 FJ80 but it has a 5.7L Vortec swapped into it. It still has the stock transmission and transfer case which are the same as mine. So in theory they should both preform very similar in icy conditions apart from the 91 obviously having more power. But my truck struggles to get up our steep driveway compared to the 91. My dad thinks it’s because my truck doesn’t go into first gear at all or when the transfer case is in low. Could low fluid be causing this if it is in fact not engaging into first?

Try adjusting the linkage lever on the transmission. Disconnect the linkage, put it into the same gear on both the shifter and the transmission, then reconnect the linkage. This picture is from a 94 but should be similar.

20220101_161855.jpg

Try adjusting the linkage lever on the transmission. Disconnect the linkage, put it into the same gear on both the shifter and the transmission, then reconnect the linkage. This picture is from a 94 but should be similar.

View attachment 2881272

View attachment 2881272
I’ll definitely try this once it’s warm enough out, thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom