FJ45 Troopy. What does this knob do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Screenshot_20211230-231214_Chrome.jpg

Hello. Does anyone know what this does?

Thank you! I just took delivery of this beauty last night, so I may be back with other dumb questions. I have two 200s, and I can say Toyota has learned a lot about ride quality since the FJ45 was designed. But she looks beautiful.

Congrats! Where in VT are you?

There's a group of us Land Cruiser and Toyota nerds in New England, and the forum page for the club is here. Check it out - lots of helpful folks.

Congrats, show some more pics of that beauty. I own a 84 BJ45 and love it!

Snuck a peek on BaT and that looks like a beautiful Troopy!

Last edited:
Beautiful Troopy; congrats! Not sure why but those switches are in different locations than my 1983. Maybe different market or maybe they changed the dash? Regardless, here's a 1983 (12/82) GCC spec placement for reference.

9F4B91B6-3660-423D-B6EF-39AA8EE7484A.jpeg

just a heads up........check to see the coolant freezing point.

As Greg pointed out mine has similar set up. It is an 1984 model which originated in the Netherlands. However mine if a diesel so no choke cable.

6F49E477-35EA-465E-AACE-F0120A514FF2.jpeg

just a heads up........check to see the coolant freezing point.

perhaps this will make both points clear , ill take a WAG on the wild side here

1st period correct dash knob layout 411

fan pull 7.jpg
fan pull 6.jpg

Then onto what happens when a warm climate truck gets imported to a ARCTIC Spec. Region / Cold Climate ZONE where u reside now ..

this is NO JOKE tech serious .....

this was at my shop on a cold FEB morning many years ago

the auto transport just dropped off this 1983 FJ43L-KC from Bogotoa Columbia at the Port of baltimore

PICT0735.JPG

PICT0737.JPG

PICT0738.JPG

PICT0739.JPG

PICT0740.JPG

perhaps this will make both points clear , ill take a WAG on the wild side here

1st period correct dash knob layout 411

View attachment 2879939View attachment 2879941

Then onto what happens when a warm climate truck gets imported to a ARCTIC Spec. Region / Cold Climate ZONE where u reside now ..

this is NO JOKE tech serious .....

this was at my shop on a cold FEB morning many years ago

the auto transport just dropped off this 1983 FJ43L-KC from Bogotoa Columbia at the Port of baltimore

View attachment 2879944

View attachment 2879945

View attachment 2879947

View attachment 2879948

View attachment 2879949
So that is scary. Thankfully, it has been just about 32F since this arrived last night, so I am probably ok. On sunday, it is going to 14F, and things may be different. I will go tomorrow, buy the appropriate coolant and swap it. Thank you for this heads up!

Reactions: flx
Congrats! Where in VT are you?

There's a group of us Land Cruiser and Toyota nerds in New England, and the forum page for the club is here. Check it out - lots of helpful folks.
I am in Stowe. I will check out the New England forum! Do you guys come to Pilgrimage in VT? We went with the 200 this year, and my kids loved it. Troopy will allow us to do some of the more challenging sections (hopefully).

Congrats, show some more pics of that beauty. I own a 84 BJ45 and love it!

Snuck a peek on BaT and that looks like a beautiful Troopy!
It is the Troopy from BAT on 23rd December. There are tons of pics there.

She is gorgeous. BUT...

I am not sure if I "got screwed" or if 40 year old trucks just come with problems, but I am on day two and I have a decent squawk list already.

The two things I knew before it came to me is that the right exterior door handle is broken and the left rear tire wobbles. Seller advised me to get the wheels balanced and an alignment. I will see if that fixes it.

More concerning is that this morning, when I took it for a spin, when the engine was cold, when I shifted into second gear, it bucked and lost power. It seemed to go away once the engine warmed up. ( I searched on here and it sounds like maybe a fuel pump, or a fuel line, or the alternator)

There is a smell of exhaust in the cabin that seems to go away as the engine warms. Again, comparing it to a LC200 may not be fair.

At higher revs, the engine squeals. Loose alternator belt?

Spare tire carrier doesn't stay secured. The locking mechanism falls down and allows it to swing. There must be a know solution for this one.

Once I get it squared away, it will be the coolest truck in town.

Question on buying parts. When I go to websites looking for parts (a right exterior door handle, for instance), they all seem to think the FJ45 went out of production in 1984. Mine is a 1985 from Venezuela. Is there a model designation somewhere that will tell me which parts I should be buying? Is a 1985 from Venezuela the same as a 1984 on the websites, or is a 1985 from Venezuela using parts that were 1955 according to the websites (because they are probably talking about US spec)? How does one know which door handle to buy for a 1985 from Venezuela?

You should be able to find parts for 79+ 40 series to fit (door handles, etc). Couple places to look would be 1) Cruiser Outfitters 2) City racer llc. other would be Cruiser Corps or CCOT.

I wasn't aware that the 45 was made in 1985 but I am not an expert on those coming from South America.

It is the Troopy from BAT on 23rd December. There are tons of pics there.

She is gorgeous. BUT...

I am not sure if I "got screwed" or if 40 year old trucks just come with problems, but I am on day two and I have a decent squawk list already.

Very common with trucks from South America, you'll get familiar with your truck fast
They usually need a lot of sorting

You should be able to find parts for 79+ 40 series to fit (door handles, etc). Couple places to look would be 1) Cruiser Outfitters 2) City racer llc. other would be Cruiser Corps or CCOT.

I wasn't aware that the 45 was made in 1985 but I am not an expert on those coming from South America.
Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom