ARB 3” Lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone installed the 3 inch Heavy “OME” on there 80 series? How did you like it, was the ride ok with 35 inch tires, does the vehicle sit level, etc.? Thanks, LX97

You're going to want to give details about your rig. Bumpers, winch, drawers, rack, whatever. From what I've read, if you're anywhere near stock weight, you'll hate the ride quality

They have been selling that lift for maybe 15 years... maybe someone on mud has a set??? You could try the search function... you might find some threads.

Has anyone installed the 3 inch Heavy “OME” on there 80 series? How did you like it, was the ride ok with 35 inch tires, does the vehicle sit level, etc.? Thanks, LX97

Do you research on others builds or suspension setups. Get your standard off the shelf lift if you like the stink bug look. If you are trying to get a level look use at least "J" springs/shocks in the front and medium/heavy springs for the rear based off your load out.

Do you research on others builds or suspension setups. Get your standard off the shelf lift if you like the stink bug look. If you are trying to get a level look use at least "J" springs/shocks in the front and medium/heavy springs for the rear based off your load out.
Thanks, what is the stink bug look? What causes the look?

Then the goal is to have the back and front the same height? Thanks

Do you plan on adding some weight to the front and rear, ie bumpers, drawers etc? Get some heavy springs in the rear if so that way it does not squat.

Ok thanks! I am putting 35’s on the LC, and talking to a ARB rep he said the quality of ride will be good even though I have no bumpers, winches, or cabinets installed.

Do you plan on adding some weight to the front and rear, ie bumpers, drawers etc? Get some heavy springs in the rear if so that way it does not squat.
Yep, going with the J springs in front and back with the extended length shocks. Thanks

Ok thanks! I am putting 35’s on the LC, and talking to a ARB rep he said the quality of ride will be good even though I have no bumpers, winches, or cabinets installed.
I would second guess him on that. Heavies with no weight will likely jar kidney stones loose if you have no added weight.

I would second guess him on that. Heavies with no weight will likely jar kidney stones loose if you have no added weight.
Have you experienced that or know someone that has? Everything is out of stock and was lucky to find the J series spring for the 3” lift. Thanks

Yep, going with the J springs in front and back with the extended length shocks. Thanks

Listening to the rep about ride quality gave me a chuckle. Loads more knowledge here than that rep likely has. I’d spend a day or two reading here and form an opinion of what you want.

Toyota trucks come with ~2” rake from factory. Part aero part to ride level when loaded

Up to you if you like the look.

Most aim for 1” more front lift for a level stance.
In your case j front (3”) and medium rear (2”). J springs will require castor plates and not the bushings. They will be shy of what you need so factor thAt in as well.

Folks are asking about your planned accessories because they will affect stance and possibly the weight spring you select.

Listening to the rep about ride quality gave me a chuckle. Loads more knowledge here than that rep likely has. I’d spend a day or two reading here and form an opinion of what you want.

Toyota trucks come with ~2” rake from factory. Part aero part to ride level when loaded

Up to you if you like the look.

Most aim for 1” more front lift for a level stance.
In your case j front (3”) and medium rear (2”). J springs will require castor plates and not the bushings. They will be shy of what you need so factor thAt in as well.

Folks are asking about your planned accessories because they will affect stance and possibly the weight spring you select.
Obviously, I have a lot to learn about LC suspensions. thanks

Have you experienced that or know someone that has? Everything is out of stock and was lucky to find the J series spring for the 3” lift. Thanks

"J" springs are not necessarily heavy springs. "J" springs are longer versions of springs, my kit when I ordered from Slee was 850 in the front now they are 850J.

OME 850

OME 850J

Look at the above two links and you will see the spring rates are exactly the same but the length is different.

OME 863

These are the current springs I am running in the rear. Notice that the spring rate is something like 250 and I have a pair of OME 864 sitting in the garage ready for when I add a rear bumper. Again compare the spring rates and part numbers. There is also a OME 863J too.

OME 864

"J" springs are not necessarily heavy springs. "J" springs are longer versions of springs, my kit when I ordered from Slee was 850 in the front now they are 850J.

OME 850

OME 850J

Look at the above two links and you will see the spring rates are exactly the same but the length is different.

OME 863

These are the current springs I am running in the rear. Notice that the spring rate is something like 250 and I have a pair of OME 864 sitting in the garage ready for when I add a rear bumper. Again compare the spring rates and part numbers. There is also a OME 863J too.

OME 864
Thank you so much! Great information. Thanks

Most new guys make the OME stinkbug mistake then have to spend more money to fix it.
A level lift would be adding a 30mm coil spacer to your front coils which would net you a 4.5 to 5" of lift.
2nd option is to replace the 863J with an 863 coils. (They are going to tell you the rear L shock is to long for the 863 but the L shock will be just fine with the L shocks.)
3rd option is dont be in a hurry to lift, get educated by doing some reading on ih8mud then pulling the trigger later once you have knowledge of better products out there then just single rate coil suspension.
Installed 850J/863 L shocks approx 3.5" of lift.
image-2967535198-jpg.768827

Compiled coil, shock & suspension spec thread for 80 series.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom