Has anyone heard anything good about this kit? (power steering) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To support EPS, please review a video on how they work. I believe "old school" veterans may have trouble going with new technology.

My Polaris SxS has EPS and it works bitchen. Im not against new technology, Id just rather not spend $2k on EPS when i could be into fluid power steering for under $1k.

my 40 has an 80-series power steering box and reservoir - works very well :D

P.S. conversions on Landcruisers all started back in1970 by Downey & AA. We used Saginaw boxes due to abundant availability, but "especially" because they eliminated some of the middle men in the Landcruiser steering system, more direct, fewer moving parts to wear out. Toyota 4WD Pickup boxes and electronic steering do not solve those problems- - -just saying.

P.S. conversions on Landcruisers all started back in1970 by Downey & AA. We used Saginaw boxes due to abundant availability, but "especially" because they eliminated some of the middle men in the Landcruiser steering system, more direct, fewer moving parts to wear out. Toyota 4WD Pickup boxes and electronic steering do not solve those problems- - -just saying.
I'm one the fence, eps kits are cheaper, and from what i have heard last/perform better. Secondly I can't find a place to sort parts for a traditional ps setup. +Im not good enough to fab a mount for a saginaw ps box

I'm one the fence, eps kits are cheaper, and from what i have heard last/perform better. Secondly I can't find a place to sort parts for a traditional ps setup. +Im not good enough to fab a mount for a saginaw ps box
Downey sells traditional Saginaw P/S mounts on EBay. Scout II Saginaw, 60/70/80 boxes are easy to mount and are available.

Mini truck boxes are a straight forward conversion, however, they still use the original linkages. My experience is that 33x12.50 rub on those linkages. Therefore, I’d not recommend running larger than 33x10.50 tires with that style.

EPS still uses the same Bel Crank up front, and linkages for the steering. For this reason if limit tire size to a max of 33x10.50 tires.

I had all the parts accumulated to do a Scout II power steering conversion before I saw anything about EPS. The cost will be less than 1/2 of what EPS would cost. Especially if I were to factor in replacing the Bel Crank, TREs, and linkages that would be needed to remove excess slop in the steering. I’d likely also need to rebuild or replace my old manual steering box.

The biggest downside of the EPS is that it retains all of the manual steering box with its excessive number of TREs and linkages. These linkages also interfere with larger tires (at least with minimal lift) and sometimes front shocks. It doesn’t get rid of the 1950s Armstrong steering technology… it just makes it easier to turn the wheel.

It’s a small benefit…the EPS could assist the steering without the engine running. This could be beneficial when the carb has been starved, your tires are in a bind, and the wheels need to be turned to allow you to roll back down a hill. The extra help from the the battery powered steering overcomes what your arms alone can’t.

If your ultimate goal is to have a stockish style FJ40 on 33”s max, EPS should work with a quicker install. Any FJ40 like a rock crawler should have a Saginaw/Mini/hydro assist style setup…longer install.

If I had it to do all over again, i would find a way to use a Toyota brand PS pump. Nothing wrong with the Saginaw, except that it’s visibly not Toyota and sometimes that bugs me.
Mid-'80s Tercel 4WD hatchback PS pump (with flipped pulley) on smog pump bracket, and mid-'80s Cressida adjusting bracket (needs slight trimming to clear belt).

(Id just rather not spend $2k on EPS when i could be into fluid power steering for under $1k.)

This sounds like you are doing the Fab work yourself?
If so then you can build your own EPS for under $500 if you decided to go that route.
I run two with EPS and built another for a late friend.
They all work great for the intended use of our vehicles.
If you intend to run 35's or bigger then eliminating the stock stuff is the way to go in my opinion.
Lite wheeling, mud, snow, mild rocks then EPS is the way to go.
Literally an afternoon install for a pre-build unit.

@EWheeler, I saw above you have a 71.
Building an EPS is a little more involved. So the above "build your own" example is a little more involved but can be done.

Last edited:
(Id just rather not spend $2k on EPS when i could be into fluid power steering for under $1k.)

If so then you can build your own EPS for under $500 if you decided to go that route.
If you intend to run 35's or bigger then eliminating the stock stuff is the way to go in my opinion.

Building an EPS is a little more involved. So the above "build your own" example is a little more involved but can be done.
Yes I would do all my own labor & fab. I am intrigued, I'll do some searching on your posts for the details on a DIY EPS install/kit. I love what City Racer has brought to the market, but the price tag is too rich for my blood with other interests and projects. I have seen the details of building the required "up & over" mod to the column shift rod if it is to be retained, easy for me to build.

Yeah this is old. I have dropped the power steering idea because I got tangled up with some other stuff.

I saw this, and it's cheap, but it looks decent.
Ever seen this/heard anything good about it.
The eps kit

Yeah this is old. I have dropped the power steering idea because I got tangled up with some other stuff.

The eps kit
Cheap is a relative concept. I’d expect there a would be a fair bit more cost once the dust settles.

$605 USD is only a small amount less than my Scout II p/s conversion cost me including the box, Flaming River DD slip shaft & U-joints, rebuilt Saginaw pump, new hoses, & hardware.

Cheap is a relative concept. I’d expect there a would be a fair bit more cost once the dust settles.

$605 USD is only a small amount less than my Scout II p/s conversion cost me including the box, Flaming River DD slip shaft & U-joints, rebuilt Saginaw pump, new hoses, & hardware.
Jesus, you need to tell me the method to get that stuff for cheap. I can't find a box online. No junk yards near me either.

Jesus, you need to tell me the method to get that stuff for cheap. I can't find a box online. No junk yards near me either.
Watched the local online listings for a few years. About 8 years ago someone was advertising Scout II parts and had a box for about $60 USD. Pitman arm came with my first SBC back in ‘96. Flaming River parts I bought during a spring sale many years ago. Lines were cheap on Rock Auto… stock Scout II lines. Pump housings I got from a Neighbor in exchange for spare crap I had around and I bought a rebuilt core for about $40.

No junk yards left here with anything useful and the ones we have want crazy money for used parts with no guarantees.

Watched the local online listings for a few years. About 8 years ago someone was advertising Scout II parts and had a box for about $60 USD. Pitman arm came with my first SBC back in ‘96. Flaming River parts I bought during a spring sale many years ago. Lines were cheap on Rock Auto… stock Scout II lines. Pump housings I got from a Neighbor in exchange for spare crap I had around and I bought a rebuilt core for about $40.

No junk yards left here with anything useful and the ones we have want crazy money for used parts with no guarantees.
Whelp, I mean 8 years was a different time. Now I mean boxes can go for 1000.00$ plus. I guess I can just keep my eyes peeled.

Whelp, I mean 8 years was a different time. Now I mean boxes can go for 1000.00$ plus. I guess I can just keep my eyes peeled.
I’ve been collecting parts for 10+ years for the conversion…. If you don’t count the pitman arm I set aside in ‘96.

Google found this one in a couple minutes. $329

The eps kit
That is a good kit. You will still need to some fab work, welding ect..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom