1 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is it worth the price?
I think so. The shocks are next level. The 40 we put them on had HFS/Bilstein and it’s night and day.

C4AA5D60-09CC-40F8-A77E-1ECC9936BCDA.jpeg

Last edited:
I guess then that's what I'll go with once I save up some cash. What tires do you recommend?
Some brand of 33’s. I like the 255/85-16 but that requires a wheel investment as well

I’ve had many bilstein sets on various vehicles and they ride great but I prefer the Foxes. Just added them to my 40 they ride awesome.

Skyjacker 4" since 1995 here and still happy with them. Used to have Rugged Trail Nitro Cell shocks which I thought were the best back in the day. Unfortunately they are no longer around. They used to have the best warranty.....you break it we replace it FREE. A friend of mine ran a log right through the shock rod and broke it right in half. Sent it in to Rugged Trail and they replaced it with no questions. Wish they were still around.

1640837332731.png

1640837414488.png

Reviving an old thread. I’m currently running 4in TPI springs with 1.5 shackles and plan on running 35’s. I’m going to run a factory style soft top and the bow sits about an inch higher than the garage door. I’m thinking to go back to factory size shackles and still run the 35’s but not sure if the tires will be rubbing the wheel well. I currently have one 35 on it and the others are 33’s but need to be replaced. Any help would be appreciated. The picture attached is the 35in tire to give an idea the clearance I currently have.

IMG_0905.jpeg

IMG_0907.jpeg

Reviving an old thread. I’m currently running 4in TPI springs with 1.5 shackles and plan on running 35’s. I’m going to run a factory style soft top and the bow sits about an inch higher than the garage door. I’m thinking to go back to factory size shackles and still run the 35’s but not sure if the tires will be rubbing the wheel well. I currently have one 35 on it and the others are 33’s but need to be replaced. Any help would be appreciated. The picture attached is the 35in tire to give an idea the clearance I currently have.

View attachment 3552462

View attachment 3552463

If it clear the fender now (with full suspension cycle) it will clear with the shorter shackles too .
Bump stop is the only thing that make it clear or not , in fact the distance between the axle and the frame in a full flex situation will be the same no matter if you have stock or 4" springs

I just installed Alcan custom 4" rear and 3" in the front and have stock length shackles on my 78 but as of yet don't know how it will ride yet. I also installed 12x35s on 17" rims. Looks like trimming the rear fenders will need to be done and will move the rear axle back.

1707356191347.jpeg

4 INCH LIFT AND 35s.jpg

I just installed Alcan custom 4" rear and 3" in the front and have stock length shackles on my 78 but as of yet don't know how it will ride yet. I also installed 12x35s on 17" rims. Looks like trimming the rear fenders will need to be done and will move the rear axle back.

View attachment 3552940

View attachment 3552942
Yeah that’s really close! I’m definitely not plan on cutting my fenders. Worst case scenario I’ll go back to stock shackles and run 33’s if it’s to close.

My experience has been the more arch on your springs... harsher the ride. I have 4"alcans with bilstiens and I will leave at that.

I just installed Alcan custom 4" rear and 3" in the front and have stock length shackles on my 78 but as of yet don't know how it will ride yet.
Stock length shackles are too short for 4" rear springs, the spring can´t fully straighten.

Yeah that’s really close! I’m definitely not plan on cutting my fenders. Worst case scenario I’ll go back to stock shackles and run 33’s if it’s to close.
I did not want 12.5"s but I live in central Wyoming and my local dealer was not able to get Micky Thompson 10" because they were out of stock or slow to be manufactured. The shipping alone was $150.

Are the wheels 10" or 8"? I wouldn't alter the fenders until the whole suspension is set up.
If I remember right they are 9" wide. I am still working on the mechanical any way, and the rear axles perches will have to be cut to get it centered and moved back and possibly rolled to get the pinion angle right with the transfer case.

When the body work starts we will look closer at if opening the fenders is needed.

So currently the 35” tire is on the back passenger side and the rest on 33’s. The side with the 35 is where I measured from. I have a theory that once I put 35’s on the other three that it will lower back end of the cruiser to give me clearance I need.

So currently the 35” tire is on the back passenger side and the rest on 33’s. The side with the 35 is where I measured from. I have a theory that once I put 35’s on the other three that it will lower back end of the cruiser to give me clearance I need.
When I got the suspension and axle back under the the front with the 35s the back did come down a little and with it sitting on mismatched skates the front looked to high. When I get the motor and drive train back in I will check how level it is.

You'll need to install the other 3 to get a true reading. As other have mentioned a stk shackle might be a problem when if lift spring has to flatten out. I would guess your tires are going to rub the inside of the fender wells, if it's on the trail. A lower bumpstop would probably fix both issues. You could add 1/4" spacers to help a bit but they'll still rub a bit. I run 35x10.50 boggers on stk wheels and they rub. The tires actually measure 33".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom