1995 fzj80 starting trouble (was not the fuseable link) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m having some starting trouble in my fzj80, I can turn the key and all lights appear as normal and when I turn to crank I get nothing and sometimes it will crank . It can go hours without trying to crank then some days it will crank right up. I have replaced the fuseable link to the battery but I have no clue where to go from here. I figured I could mark off efi relay with it not struggling to turn over when it does attempt . Any help or experience with this issue would be helpful . Thanks , Blake

470D0B9D-1847-4DC6-896F-2B61D5324953.jpeg

Can try tapping on the starter while turning they key--if that works then the starter needs a rebuild (mine did). Can also try starting in neutral instead of park--could be the neutral safety switch (NSS).

Can you post a pic of your battery, specifically the terminals?
I had this same issue, even got it to crank by tapping the starter. (ultimately coincidental, but didn't realize it at the time)
The issue was the negative batt terminal. If you have the solid lead type, they lose their constitution (gripping strength) over time, no matter how tight you screw it down or reshape it.
Replaced it with a similar terminal to the positive side. Zero issues since.
And I gained a trail-spare starter in the t-shoot process, so not all bad.

Can try tapping on the starter while turning they key--if that works then the starter needs a rebuild (mine did). Can also try starting in neutral instead of park--could be the neutral safety switch (NSS).

I did a little research and reading and im starting to sway towards the starter. As well as a fellow member had suggested he had the same issue and a new starter fixed it. As for the (NSS) the PO had just put one in thinking that was the initial issue.

Can you post a pic of your battery, specifically the terminals?
I had this same issue, even got it to crank by tapping the starter. (ultimately coincidental, but didn't realize it at the time)
The issue was the negative batt terminal. If you have the solid lead type, they lose their constitution (gripping strength) over time, no matter how tight you screw it down or reshape it.
Replaced it with a similar terminal to the positive side. Zero issues since.
And I gained a trail-spare starter in the t-shoot process, so not all bad.
i dont have a picture on me at the moment but i will give that a shot. Just as you did , i have a starter on the way and just maybe it can be a backup/spare if the terminal issue is the fix. Thank you!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom