Classifieds Transactions: Red Flags (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As frustrating as Paypal can be, it still offers some of the BEST financial protection for your transactions.
Well, I just had to file a dispute with Paypal, not involving MUD. Horrible experience. I opened the complaint on March 1st, and it was closed the same day. No communiction. No resolution. No refund. Nothing.

First off, let's be clear....99.99% of the members of this site are trustworthy and 99.99% of the transactions occur without issue.

However....there are occasional problems. Some buyer/seller/scammer red flags are:
  • little or no post history...any existing posts are usually all the same few words
  • joined the forum in recent days
  • language/communication oddities
  • inbox's you directly, no replies in the thread
  • inbox message requests further contact via email or phone
  • requests payment from a non-standard provider (ie: trust Paypal, be wary of others)
  • requests payments through multiple providers, or to other individuals (ie: "my Paypal is screwed up, can you Venmo my girlfriend?")
  • insists on payment without fees (ie: never pay via Paypal friends/family)
Also, avoid listing or giving your email or phone number. Don't do it when you list an item, try to avoid doing it when you are in a discussion until you are sure the other party isn't a scammer. Nothing worse than putting your private into out into the world for scammers to data-mine.

The key is to protect yourself and your transaction. Do your due diligence with any buyer/seller....because a transaction that's seems at all strange or suspicious
probably is.

As frustrating as Paypal can be, it still offers some of the BEST financial protection for your transactions. If a seller has requested a “no fees” type payment request, you have the option in Paypal to pay those fees on the buyers side. The seller gets their full requested amount, but the buyer retains the financial protection should issues arise. Simple math: for USA transactions, it's 2.9% plus $0.30. If you are buying something for $20, you ADD in those fees and use the "service/product" option. ($20 * 1.029) + 0.30 = $20.88. That $0.88 cost is well worth it should a transaction go sour.

If you suspect these types of issues are happening, please REPORT the user/conversation/post and offer a brief description of your suspicions.. Using the forum Reporting system allow better tracking of problem users and can assist in finding patterns that can help block future scammer registrations entirely.

The REPORT button is located immediately below every thread and conversation post.
Thank you. Great information.

The way I see it, is if I drop 20,30,40k, or more on any vehicle, I’m going to put my hands on it first. It doesn’t bother me one bit traveling with that much cash. I learned the hard way 20 years ago on a 34 Ford. I’ve just always thought, if you can spend big bucks, then you can afford a flight.

The way I see it, is if I drop 20,30,40k, or more on any vehicle, I’m going to put my hands on it first. It doesn’t bother me one bit traveling with that much cash. I learned the hard way 20 years ago on a 34 Ford. I’ve just always thought, if you can spend big bucks, then you can afford a flight.
These issues don't happen with $20k+ purchases. They happen when a bezel that should be worth $300 gets offered at $100....a deal so good your guard gets dropped...

PayPal has been very good to me with refunds on scammed purchases. But I could prove it was a scam.
But you gotta read the room.
Like when you see the palm trees in the background of a vehicle or boat or atv that is listed for sale around the northeast part of the US on C List.

I've recently purchased a few items from our supporting vendors and have had zero issues receiving them.
I'm currently waiting for my FJ60 roof rack I ordered through one of our supporting vendors to arrive that I ordered a week or so ago.

So... when I received an email from the postal service stating a missed delivery or possible wrong address I assumed it was legit. I've had issues with shipping to my home before. The email wanted me to verify the address associated with this order, ok no biggie, then asked to confirm the paypal account used.... At this point I drove to the post office and gave them the reference number from the email.

Long story short the post master looked at the email and confirmed it was a very legit looking scam. I reported it as spam.

Just a heads up to fellow members, this was a very realistic scam.

Hello all. I’m a new member and not sure how to do anything on this site yet. I think I’m posting so I would like to thank all the members. before I joined, every question about my 68 fst that I searched on the net for always took me here for the answers. You all have educated me greatly, awesome site,

Hi woody, I received this thread after responding to a for sale. Am I doing it wrong? I have tried to contact 2 sellers and no response yet from the sellers. i did include my email on one, is that not ok? How do I pm? I’ve learned a ton from the members and am ready to get some parts ! Thanks for any help you can give

Hi woody, I received this thread after responding to a for sale. Am I doing it wrong? I have tried to contact 2 sellers and no response yet from the sellers. i did include my email on one, is that not ok? How do I pm? I’ve learned a ton from the members and am ready to get some parts ! Thanks for any help you can give
There are a bunch of things that trigger content moderation. As a Supporting Member, you bypass nearly all of those.

Sellers may/may not respond, little I can do to force them to do so.

Last edited:
Actually Paypal is not an option for some folks (including me...). Years ago there was an issue with my SSN on their website. I tried hard to fix it but they never did and banned me forever due to "suspicious activity". I sent whatever I could to prove I am who I am but they didn't budge and I am still banned on their platform.

I still agree that Paypal is one of the best for payments. I have never had an issue, as a buyer, if I have to explain my Paypal situation and get them to accept an alternate payment.

Paypal should be preferred for safety but just letting folks know, there are some genuine buyer/sellers who can't use Paypal despite their best intentions.

I’ve completed many transactions on mud and got paid by zelle. I give my personal cell and stand by the items I sell. Anyway to have a feedback part added on our accounts? Like eBay sort of?

Well, I just had to file a dispute with Paypal, not involving MUD. Horrible experience. I opened the complaint on March 1st, and it was closed the same day. No communiction. No resolution. No refund. Nothing.
For what it’s worth there are two options when using PayPal‘s friends and family for payment. You can draft it directly out of your bank account when using friends and family. Or you can pay using a credit or debit card. There’s an additional fee to do this however I have never had an issue getting a refund from my credit card company when I filed a complaint.

Hi all, new here. I actually just posted a LX 450 for sale and came across this post. I wasn't sure how transactions worked through forums, but now I have a fair Idea. Hopefully if anyone is interested in my LX 450 comes and see's it in person before they decide to purchase it as to avoid any issues.

MUD makes no money from classifieds transactions correct? Protect the buyers. 2 week wait minimum and a non-trivial post count when first joining to sell on MUD. Perhaps ban PMs too to avoid circumventing the rules.

In college there are weed out classes in certain majors. They tend to work, although no one enjoys having to go through them.
Ehhhh there are issues with that kind of thing. For example, I cleaned up and came across a bunch of old Ford 460 stuff (I used to be into Broncos). Where to sell it? 460 Forums, of course. Wait, no--I gotta have 30 posts or something first. Sorry, I'm not into Fords anymore; waste of my time. So I don't get to sell stuff there, and members miss some great prices. It's lose-lose. Someone inherits an old Cruiser they find in grandpa's barn, they're likely to come here to sell it. I don't think they should be turned away. YMMV...

Watch out for this account on instagram as well. Definitely stole $100 from me. I stuck to my guns and did paypal goods and services so i had protection. But he’s been blowing up instagram with fake post. Even used google to supply more images and timely response.

Always search google images too for the item based on key words you supply. Especially with unknown seller.

Ive been scammed twice on instagram over the years and i am done with that as a marketplace.

528D6A26-5659-4598-B56B-D1DCB8B47A00.png

Just banned a member/scammer who has been registered for over 5 years.

FIVE years....had 2-3 conversations in 2017, and suddenly began starting new conversations yesterday.

Zero forum posts.

Huge props and credit for being a patient scammer....fortunately, the scammer tools I have on the admin side were better.

Great lengths people will go to screw other people.

@woody every thought about a seller rating for members?
Many times. Finding a plugin/developer that actually supports their product is the hardest part.

The red flags are obvious.

And actually, it's not the POSTS that are an issue...it's private messaging.

I am on a few other forums and see the same scam everywhere and they do indeed infiltrate through PMs. BenzWorld makes you have 10+ moderator verified posts before PM is allowed. Painful yes, but if you are committed to contributing to the community, it's only a minor short-term inconvenience.

I always liked the simplicity here, but maybe we all need to button up. Artificial Intelligence is making this even worse because the content can be automated. I just installed an extension called "fakespot" which scans amazon reviews for AI generated reviews; its insane how many there are. It could easily generate posts and content.

The more cash on the line the more you do your home work 😎

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom