Now this … Is the OEM radiator drain plug plastic? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fyton2v

SILVER Star
Threads
I‘ve lost the plug for my radiator. I’m 99% certain the radiator isn’t original, but looks OEM-ish. The plug on this unit is a white plastic tab that screws in with a rubber gasket. You can unscrew it by hand. OEM or no for a 2F? I kinda need a new one and I’m hoping I can just pick one up from a local auto-zone or something. I’d post a pic, but it’s in a parallel universe.

Thanks.

An original ‘74 rad has pipe thread at the bottom with a pipe with a shutoff at the bottom.

I‘ve lost the plug for my radiator. I’m 99% certain the radiator isn’t original, but looks OEM-ish. The plug on this unit is a white plastic tab that screws in with a rubber gasket. You can unscrew it by hand. OEM or no for a 2F? I kinda need a new one and I’m hoping I can just pick one up from a local auto-zone or something. I’d post a pic, but it’s in a parallel universe.

Thanks.
An original ‘74 rad has pipe thread at the bottom with a pipe with a shutoff at the bottom.

Like this right :D

96431-03873

1639274888221.png
1639275058243.png

1639275100160.png

Good luck finding a plug to match up with those goofy threads on some of those after market radiators. I had one snap off and had to pull the radiator. I couldn’t match it up, so I had a radiator shop solder in a 1/4" pipe thread bung. Then it was easy to find 1/4" brass nipples, caps, plugs or valves.

Good luck finding a plug to match up with those goofy threads on some of those after market radiators. I had one snap off and had to pull the radiator. I couldn’t match it up, so I had a radiator shop solder in a 1/4" pipe thread bung. Then it was easy to find 1/4" brass nipples, caps, plugs or valves.

excellent idea steamer !

Like this right :D

96431-03873

View attachment 2862432
View attachment 2862434
View attachment 2862435
Same function, but mine was more like a pipe with a hole that went to the side with a bolt coming out of the bottom. When moved my rad during my SBC conversion, I replaced it with a brass plug so that it would not stick down and get caught on things.

I found a pic here:
C2C7DE13-DBE2-4FCF-946D-604746316CC6.jpeg

Once again Matt you’ve improved on the original.

Sounds like the OP is looking for something like this:
5AE3383C-62AC-43CD-8D35-B5BA568C487B.jpeg

Hopefully he’ll get lucky.

Matt, what size are those things? I've just learned that the plug I'm missing is size M12-1.25. Found an oil drain plug at autozone that looked to be about right ... and it was exactly the right size. The only luck I've had today.

Last edited:
Matt, what size are those things? I've just learned that the plug I'm missing is size M12-1.25. Found an oil drain plug at autozone that looked to be about right ... and it was exactly the right size. The only luck I've had today.
I have an aftermarket (CSF) radiator in my 78 FJ40 and had the exact problem you are having. Plastic plug effectively fell apart and I was never able to find an exact replacement. I ended up using a stainless M12 button head socket cap screw and a rubber o-ring. No issues, no leaks.

FWIW - last year I installed a new CSF 2888 radiator that had a plastic drain plug. I removed the plug and installed a homemade extended drain line. The plastic plug that CSF uses is a M10x1.5 unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom