Gear indicator light for Drive and Reverse go on at the same time (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RWD

Threads
97 LX 450 just started doing this. If I start the truck and shift to reverse, the R indicator lights up and the D indicator lights up too. Same thing if I shift to Drive, both the D and R light up at the same time. All other gear indicators light up as they should. Truck will start in Park or neutral like it's supposed to. Trans shifts normal and I don't see any other problems. I'm thinking it might be the NSS? Any ideas on what to check?

At least your D light works. Check the connector above the starter in the front left wheel well. It may be corroded or broken and the dash lights are both getting the signal.

Will do, thanks. I can barely fit my hand in there .

Taking the tire off helps. Hopefully it doesn’t look like this.

6BAF97A8-6586-49C2-8277-272F7D05B4E1.jpeg

Reactions: KTP
Yes, I saw that pic when I did a search. Lots of threads about not starting or shifting problems but non with my exact problem. I will take a look at it tomorrow. Thanks again.

Might be time for a neutral safety switch (NSS).
Or maybe the cleaning thereof.

Well I spent all morning checking the electrical plug connections above the starter but everything was absolutely clean with zero corrosion. I also took apart the NSS (twice actually) and cleaned it even though it too was clean with no hint of corrosion. After reinstalling the NSS and playing around with the switch adjustment, the D indicator was working properly and lit up without the R indicator so some sucess there. The R and D indicators still come on together when I shift it to R. Truck will start in N or P as it should. Not sure where to go next but my guess is the NSS. Maybe there is too much slop in the switch. I'll update if I find anything .

I chased this exact problem for about a year, including a 200 dollar neutral safety switch that was not bad after all.

It ended up being a break in a ground path in the dash position indicator lamp.

Screenshot 2021-12-04 at 14-11-53 83-02 INDICATOR diagram, 1993 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER.png

I think I will look into that Dan before I buy a new NSS. I did have the dash apart once before about 2-3 years ago the change the D bulb. No fun. Thanks for your help.

Examine the printed circuit carefully for cracks in the copper. I bet you find one. Sorry this is out of focus. It's the only photo I have of it.
20190206_140901.jpg

The LX450 EWD shows a connection between the Park Neutral Switch and the Combination meter (dash gauges and lights) that goes from the reverse connection to the two backup lights and the trailer socket. A corroded trailer socket might be providing an alternate ground path. Do the backup lights work correctly?

Theres also a connector in that circuit in the left rear quarter panel which is a common corrosion location due to leaks from the vent and slider window.
The LX450 EWD shows a connection between the Park Neutral Switch and the Combination meter (dash gauges and lights) that goes from the reverse connection to the two backup lights and the trailer socket. A corroded trailer socket might be providing an alternate ground path. Do the backup lights work correctly?

Good question. I'm going to have to look at everything again. Over the weekend the reverse lights were working properly but today I was out driving and at a stoplight, someone told me that my reverse lights were on all the time. I will check those connections tomorrow. Thanks for pointing that out.

OK, final update (I hope!!) I have been driving it around with the D and R indicator dash lights on at the same time while the transmission in Drive for the past week. I took apart the NSS AGAIN (third time) and found nothing wrong with the copper parts inside or the connector plug. No change. I took apart the dash and looked at all the plugs and printed circuit boards for the gauges, again no change.

Next I checked the trailer light harness under the rear bumper and found it was corroded badly. I opened up the area behind the rear wheels under the sliding glass windows on both sides and checked all of the electrical plugs, all perfectly clean with no signs of water leaks. Since I don't tow anything, I unplugged the trailer light converter thingy glued to the pass. side inner quarter to take the corroded trailer connector out of the equation. Still no change, reverse lights and the D and R indicator on when in Drive. I noted that although the reverse lights were on while in Drive, they were not as bright as if in Reverse. Same with the R indicator, would come on while in Drive but not as bright.
Not knowing where to turn next, I took a chance and ordered a new Toyota NSS/ gear indicator switch that is mounted to the gear selector on the transmission. I installed it today and everything is working as it should. All indicator lights work properly, and the Reverse light only come on while in Reverse! Problem solved. Not happy about the $150 NSS but at least all of my time spent looking for the problem was free. Thanks everyone who pitched in with suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom