Chevota clutch slave (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If your Chevy clutch doesn’t have low fingers I t’s a no go for this application.

The easiest option would be to use a low throw clutch.
See, there are all kinds of conflicting information out there on this. I've read in several places that you must use a raised diaphragm clutch or you'll need a taller t/o bearing. 🤔 But, there is more than one way to do this.

Edit: Nevermind, I am thinking of an LS application.

1. Like written above, the LUK's do work, but rely on the entire hydraulic system being in perfect condition to achieve max bearing travel.
2. I've been out of the business for too long now, gave away all my Landcruiser data, but I do know Toyota had 3 different slave cylinders, and each had to be matched to it's individual master cylinder to achieve sufficient travel & pedal pressure.
3. I continue to sell my Chevota clutches that require only .375" of travel at the bear to disengage, but price recently went up like crazy.
4. I believe AA still sell the Centerforce clutches with weights on the fingers for Chevota conversions, but those clutches are built in the wrong direction (i.e. provides more locking pressure as the rpm increases, you need max locking pressure off the line, then locking pressure could conceivably be decreased as rpm increases/cruising speed has been achieved).

1. Like written above, the LUK's do work, but rely on the entire hydraulic system being in perfect condition to achieve max bearing travel.
2. I've been out of the business for too long now, gave away all my Landcruiser data, but I do know Toyota had 3 different slave cylinders, and each had to be matched to it's individual master cylinder to achieve sufficient travel & pedal pressure.
3. I continue to sell my Chevota clutches that require only .375" of travel at the bear to disengage, but price recently went up like crazy.
4. I believe AA still sell the Centerforce clutches with weights on the fingers for Chevota conversions, but those clutches are built in the wrong direction (i.e. provides more locking pressure as the rpm increases, you need max locking pressure off the line, then locking pressure could conceivably be decreased as rpm increases/cruising speed has been achieved).
Can you send me a quote for your clutch?

I believe theses are the ones…

920A8D1D-862C-4883-9113-B90D66CD3A5C.jpeg

Note the special shipping rate to Canada. For $653.76 USD + taxes, duties, and fees, it had better be Fing incredible. I’d think for that price it would be cheaper to have one made. It would certainly be cheaper to redesign the clutch master cylinder to gain 0.025” of throw.

Sorry for the rant… I really hate it when shipping suddenly jumps $300 to cross the border. For that price I could almost drive there to pick one up. If I ship it further North in the USA it’s only $41.99 shipping vs $362.02 if I put in my address.

Last edited:
I believe theses are the ones…

View attachment 2857199

Note the special shipping rate to Canada. For $653.76 USD + taxes, duties, and fees, it had better be Fing incredible. I’d think for that price it would be cheaper to have one made. It would certainly be cheaper to redesign the clutch master cylinder to gain 0.025” of throw.

Sorry for the rant… I really hate it when shipping suddenly jumps $300 to cross the border. For that price I could almost drive there to pick one up. If I ship it further North in the USA it’s only $41.99 shipping.
Holy $&@“! I would almost take you one for that price!!!

Holy $&@“! I would almost take you one for that price!!!
A ferry ride to Port Angeles is only $67 each way with a vehicle… $134 in fares to save $320.

Very sorry for the price SHOCK, I don't expect to sell many at the new price (unless I put together a new deal/supplier ???

Very sorry for the price SHOCK, I don't expect to sell many at the new price (unless I put together a new deal/supplier ???
I could swallow the $342 if needed… $362.02 on top for shipping makes it unpalatable.

Okay, I just measured my actual throw-out bearing travel. As I said before, slave moves an inch. I calculated the factory T/O fork om my 74 and it has a 1.78:1 ratio. The math says it should move my bearing .58". Since my transmission is out at the moment, well, doing a LS/NV4500 swap, I am able to easily measure the travel. Guess what? My T/O bearing moves ~9/16" or about .56"! So......where does the .420" of Toyota travel come from?

Okay, I just measured my actual throw-out bearing travel. As I said before, slave moves an inch. I calculated the factory T/O fork om my 74 and it has a 1.78:1 ratio. The math says it should move my bearing .58". Since my transmission is out at the moment, well, doing a LS/NV4500 swap, I am able to easily measure the travel. Guess what? My T/O bearing moves ~9/16" or about .56"! So......where does the .420" of Toyota travel come from?
I’ve got tons of travel… never been an issue.

Measurements from our clutch builder back in the 1970's-80's using brand new cylinders ????? I'd be curious if either (1) you are using different cylinders than we measured back in the day, or (2) if stock cylinders have been changed/improved ???

Last edited:
Measurements from our clutch builder back in the 1970's-80's using brand new cylinders ????? I'd be curious if either (1) you are using different cylinders than we measured back in the day, or (2) if stock cylinders have been changed/improved ???
Came with my 74 when I got it. I'm pretty sure they have been replaced, but they look like OEM. Also came with your Holley carb kit.

20211207_152612.jpg

20211207_152619.jpg

So from what I’m reading here, if my new Toyota master and slave are in top shape and verified to travel greater than .500” at the bearing, I could get away with the stock GM 11” clutch setup.

Just when everyone thinks they have it figured out, here comes another curveball!

That would be my assumption, although this does not agree with historic bearing travel testing/figures.

I will give it a shot and see what happens! If not, I’ll be in touch with Downey for a low throw clutch.
You should take a look at this and figure the actual needs before throwing money at it. It describes the entire procedure for assessing the throw-out requirements. Scroll down to "Sequence of Linkage Setup." I know it says Jeep, but it is for any vehicle.

You should take a look at this and figure the actual needs before throwing money at it. It describes the entire procedure for assessing the throw-out requirements. Scroll down to "Sequence of Linkage Setup." I know it says Jeep, but it is for any vehicle.

Awesome thanks! I didn’t realize Novak had this on their website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom