New knuckles on 97 LX 450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
LCH Hagerstown recently rebuilt knuckles on 97 LX450. I’ve noticed that on the front right knuckle only there is significant grease leaking , I clean it off the driveway, the frame, brake calipers, etc - the next day after driving there’s more that’s leaked. Again the others are not doing this.

I’ve been driving for roughly 2 months since rebuild.

Any ideas why this one knuckle is leaking so much grease ? Is this normal?

63D03A1B-B65C-4F67-9C16-C44828D8EEEF.jpeg

That's definitely not normal. Possibly they nicked an oil seal when they reinstalled the birf or maybe the axle breather is blocked.

That's definitely not normal. Possibly they nicked an oil seal when they reinstalled the birf or maybe the axle breather is blocked.
Thank you. Unfortunately this adds to a growing of list things I’m having to redo because Land Cruiser Heaven did not do it correctly.

Appreciate the quick response.

I can't comment on LCH workmanship but nicking an oil seal when fitting a birf is not unheard of.

I can't comment on LCH workmanship but nicking an oil seal when fitting a birf is not unheard of.
When I did mine in August, the installation on the passenger side was way harder. I thought for sure that the seal was gonna be toast. But, so far it's okay. As to the OP, I too would suspect the seal.

When I did mine in August, the installation on the passenger side was way harder. I thought for sure that the seal was gonna be toast. But, so far it's okay. As to the OP, I too would suspect the seal.
Thank you. I’ll check the seal this weekend. Appreciate the second set of eyes.

Hmmmmm birf soup

^^^This^^^. Does the goop smell like gear oil? The axle seal could have been damaged during installation of the axle shaft/birf, or the seal garter spring was knocked out of place, or they filled the knuckles with gear oil instead of NLGI #2 grease ---

^^^This^^^. Does the goop smell like gear oil? The axle seal could have been damaged during installation of the axle shaft/birf, or the seal garter spring was knocked out of place, or they filled the knuckles with gear oil instead of NLGI #2 grease ---
Most of what I find in the driveway is thick black grease. I’ve been finding globs of it for several weeks now. At first thought it was just some excess but it’s been consistent now for 6-8 weeks. Also making a mess in the driveway!

Looks like the felt wiper seal might be missing as well, once you wipe all that off should be felt seal that is under the metal retaining ring. Def not normal rebuild that side soon
You should have the retainer, felt, rubber and metal split ring.

Last edited:
Looks like the felt wiper seal might be missing as well, once you wipe all that off should be felt seal that is under the metal retaining ring. Def not normal rebuild that side soon
You should have the retainer, felt, rubber and metal split ring.
Thank you- crazy just paid Landcruiser Heaven Hagerstown, MD to have this rebuilt. I’ll research more from your suggestions what the issue is. Thanks for your help.

LCH Hagerstown recently rebuilt knuckles on 97 LX450. I’ve noticed that on the front right knuckle only there is significant grease leaking , I clean it off the driveway, the frame, brake calipers, etc - the next day after driving there’s more that’s leaked. Again the others are not doing this.

I’ve been driving for roughly 2 months since rebuild.

Any ideas why this one knuckle is leaking so much grease ? Is this normal?

View attachment 2853986

Take it back to LCH. See if they own up.

It looks like the felt is there to me but really hard to tell in that mess. Inner axle seal definitely failed. Pretty easy to bugger them up during rebuild.
I just checked and the felt is there but it’s offset. It’s definitely a mess. I’ll be taking it to a second shop soon to get her fixed up.

Take it back to LCH. See if they own up.
I’ve had a lot of issues like this with LCH Hagerstown, MD since I got the truck back and honestly already sent it back once already. The owner Frank Diaz said I was a ‘perfectionist’ suggesting my issue. I’ve since learned their lack of attention to detail causes major headaches for lots of customers.

You only touch the stove so many times before you learn your lesson. I’ve learned mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom