SBC Power Steering Pump Bracket Interference with Motor Mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,
I’m having a difficult time finding the correct power steering pump bracket for the particular motor mount that came with my FJ40 with SBC350 conversion. I tried two different brackets and the motor mount seems to be in the way. My search didn’t show much on which mount will work with what I believe is a Downey motor mount? I have installed the Saginaw gear and need to mount the pump to complete my power steering conversion. Can someone point me to the type of bracket that will work with my setup? TIA

C5785D5B-F7AE-441A-A9C7-052FB2169257.jpeg

794043FE-8617-4427-8703-FCDEA968AC82.jpeg

That is an old antiquated engine mount. @Downey Might have some input on what to do. Are you using a long water pump? The normal conversion motor mounts bolt in the stock location on the engine and they rest on gussets welded to the frame rail. You can see the mount just below the exhaust manifold. The pump bracket is from a 1975 k20 chev truck. I'm not sure if it would work on your application. The pump bracket hangs from the water pump.

20200708_172634.jpg

That is an old antiquated engine mount. @Downey Might have some input on what to do. Are you using a long water pump? The normal conversion motor mounts bolt in the stock location on the engine and they rest on gussets welded to the frame rail. You can see the mount just below the exhaust manifold. The pump bracket is from a 1975 k20 chev truck. I'm not sure if it would work on your application. The pump bracket hangs from the water pump.

View attachment 2852413
Thanks for the picture of the bracket. I’ll check the local salvage yard for a 70’s K20 pickup to see it will work. Yes I have the long water pump.

I think this is what you may need to replace that mount:

Pjohnsons recommendation is valid. It's going to be hard to find or make a p/s brackets that will work with that type of motor mount bracket. A p/s belt has to be tight. It probably wouldn't be too difficult to change to AA motor mounts. You might be able to do it without pulling the motor. Using AAs mounts will allow you to use all factory brackets or a serpentine setup. I've attached a couple of pic of my p/s setup. The one from the bottom shows how close it is to the block. Your motor bracket would interfere with the p/s pump.

20211130_182148.jpg

20211130_182104.jpg

Before buying the AA motor mounts, check out ebay #255028354988, 265206768451, and 265157038943- - -just saying.

This mount is similar to the Downey mount that came in the kit I used years ago. One of the problems I ran into was the mount sat right over a hole in the frame that didn't provide the best support. I built my own frame side mount that bridged the hole in the frame and allowed me to bolt it in with two bolts on each side of the mount.

The early mount shown by the OP used the engine mount location that the older 55 vintage front mounts before Chevrolet moved to the side engine mounts. You would probably need a power steering bracket from a 55+ vintage Chevrolet.

If you change for newer mounts , you will need the t-case support like this one

Thats what I was afraid of and is my 2nd option to switch to a different motor mount if I can’t come up with a bracket option that will work.

Before buying the AA motor mounts, check out ebay #255028354988, 265206768451, and 265157038943- - -just saying.
Thanks for the mount options. I just checked them out on eBay. Hoping someone has a work around that works before going this route.

This mount is similar to the Downey mount that came in the kit I used years ago. One of the problems I ran into was the mount sat right over a hole in the frame that didn't provide the best support. I built my own frame side mount that bridged the hole in the frame and allowed me to bolt it in with two bolts on each side of the mount.

The early mount shown by the OP used the engine mount location that the older 55 vintage front mounts before Chevrolet moved to the side engine mounts. You would probably need a power steering bracket from a 55+ vintage Chevrolet.
Will definitely checkout all GM vehicles of early vintage at the salvage yard. Thanks.

If you change for newer mounts , you will need the t-case support like this one

Not exactly what I want to hear. Haha
I’ve bought this ‘65 FJ40 because the person gave up on restoring but it came with both front and rear elockers from an 80-series which I justified the purchase so I can install on my FZJ80.
With that said, I haven’t been able to work on my 80 much because this 40 is consuming most of my free time. My initial thoughts was to put this together and drive it around occasionally but I ended up redoing the wiring and paint job since the previous owner did not have much for attention to details and the workmanship was not to standards. Also I ended up buying another FJ40 for parts and have enough to build a second one.
Anyways I believe you all can relate from the many posts I’ve read in this 40’s section. 🤣

Ya you would usually switch to side engine mounts it even says in Downey’s catalog that power steering doesn’t work with his front engine cradle mount. Bummer eh. The steering shaft usually hits that cradle mount also.
I’m learning. 🙂
Fortunately I’ve been able to piece it together that the shaft doesn’t rub on the mount. Thanks to the many ideas and knowledge I’ve gained by reading all the posts regarding power steering conversion in the forum. 👍🏼

You have been assimilated 😂

More pictures of the engine bay might help. There could be a pump mount that sits up higher on the passenger side. It's hard to tell spacing and depth from the one pic.

First time I’ve seen the plate circled in yellow. Mine are just slotted and allow the engine to move side to side
2A91DE21-65A4-4D6F-BC56-70DF09FE38E9.jpeg

I bought a welder and learned to weld with this project. My welding skills is still lacking and don’t trust myself especially on a motor mount. If I have to put it on a trailer to take to a fabricator, will I be okay to drive if onto a trailer even though I don’t have the pump connected?

Yes

I’ve known other mudders who never got around to hooking up a pump and just used it as a manual box. So long as there’s fluid in it you’ll be fine.

Excellent! Good to know I can still drive it which buys me time to search for a bracket solution or get a new mount put on.

I’ll try to take another picture of the engine bay tomorrow.

First time I’ve seen the plate circled in yellow. Mine are just slotted and allow the engine to move side to side
View attachment 2852651
It looks like an update to provide better clamping force for the nuts/bolts in the slots. You can see it in the pic of the assembled unit on top of the slotted area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom