Warn 68608 VS 70865 Motors, Does anybody REALLY know? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I went through a BUNCH of threads on 8274 winch builds and motor upgrades. Seems like the most popular motor upgrade is the 68608 from the 9.5 XP. I see that the 70865 is a 15K industrial application but no real specs available.

Also I see conflicting information out there on the 68608 HP rating. I have seen 4.5 HP and 6.0 HP specs given for the same part number depending on who's selling it. Anybody know for sure?

Amazon shows the 68608 country of origin is China. I haven't read anything bad at all about the 68608, I'd just like to know the actual HP and is it made in U.S.A or China?

I found nothing as far as specs for the 70865. I just see it listed as 6HP on some threads. Nothing on country of origin.

I saw that a couple MUDD members have it on their 8274. For those that are running the 70865 do you feel it was worth the difference in price from the 68608? Do you have any feedback to offer?

Digging around i found this page. I didn't match it to the 70865 but its 15k industrial. Looks like all industrial use the same motor (70865). This says 3.8 hp

Thanks gnob! If Warn shows it is 3.8 HP I have to wonder where all the 6 HP specs come from.

Now that I look at the actual 9.5 XP winch (not just the replacement motor) Warn lists it as 6 HP. Mystery solved. Thanks again.

As far as where it's made?? Amazon is only place I saw China. And we all know how accurate some of their information is. I have yet to see a negative review about the 68608 9.5 XP motor on any of the off road forums so it might be my choice for an upgrade when I get to my winch.

Whatever the actual HP number is, it is significantly stronger than the original motor on my made-in-1979 8274.

I have documented my problems with a DB Electric replacement motor that was made in China; I have had no problems whatsoever with the winch after installing the 68608 motor and converting to contactor operation, and I use mine a lot on my land. Been using it for 8 or 9 years now.

It is definitely WAY faster. In the couple times I have used the new motor, its noticeable.
Used it as a crane this weekend. Lol

Screenshot_20211130-063414.png

It is definitely WAY faster. In the couple times I have used the new motor, its noticeable.
Used it as a crane this weekend. Lol

View attachment 2852193

Used mine recently to pull three cemented-in camp grills out of the ground, and to recover a stuck tractor in a creek, way down a steep hill.

IMG_1742[1].JPG

I have no doubt they are both a big step up from the original. And I'm going to get one eventually. My question was about the industrial 15 K motor compared to the 9.5.

Based on some of the posts I've read, many assume the 15 K industrial winch motor is even better than the 9.5. Seems it might not be.

I appreciate the feedback. I've only rebuilt my 8274 once many years ago. Basically clean and reseal. Recently a clean and lube but it's original except for the plug. I'm pretty sure it had the chrome one when I first got it. I'm going to upgrade the motor and go with a contactor at some point during my truck build.

Last edited:
There's a seller online that has some surplus Superwinch 9000 motors for $130. Made in Slovenia by Mahle. They are supposed to be a direct fit and it has good reviews. I asked what they were rated at and the response was 2.3 HP continuous and 4.6 for winching. I don't understand that rating but it might be a bargain if somebody doesn't want to pay big bucks for a new motor.

Im assuming the vendor is @PIP . He sells the albrights we're using.

There's a seller online that has some surplus Superwinch 9000 motors for $130. Made in Slovenia by Mahle. They are supposed to be a direct fit and it has good reviews. I asked what they were rated at and the response was 2.3 HP continuous and 4.6 for winching. I don't understand that rating but it might be a bargain if somebody doesn't want to pay big bucks for a new motor.

I saw it on Amazon. Dieselize I think.

Pretty sure I'll be looking for the xp. Just throwing that out there in case it's a good replacement for those on a tighter budget.

I was the one that replied to your question on Amazon about the HP ratings.

So the manufacturers like Warn, Superwinch, Smittybilt, etc use the theoretical meltdown rating of a winch motor in advertizing.

Winch motors are series wound DC motors. Series wound motors make gobs of torque and power, they are great at short tasks requiring lots of power, but if you were to run one under load for awhile they make a ton of heat too and will eventually destroy themselves.

The motors I have on Amazon are in a crate with the original paperwork from Mahle Letrika. The paperwork says they are rated for 1.7KW continuous duty which equals 2.3HP. In sales literature the various winch manufacturers that use this same spec winch motor from Mahle Letrika advertise it as putting out 4.6 HP.

So that's what I meant by 2.3HP continuous and 4.6 for winch duty. Hope I didn't mislead, that wasn't my intent whatsoever.

Just for kicks, look up a 5HP DC electric motor. Like something made by Baldor or a good Japanese company. A 5HP DC motor will weigh about 100 pounds. That's 5HP continuous duty and there's no way to shrink that down into a winch size package.

The winch manufacturers rate their winches by comparing their products to their competition. All of them buy their competitors winches and test them every way you can think of then compare to their own winches.

So what that means is basically that any 8000 winch you buy will pull about the same as any other 8000 winch on the market.

Also, winch companies often sell electric hoists that look like winches. They are. They take a winch they already build, remove the freespool parts and de-rate it by 75% for lifting. So for example an 8000 winch would be classified as a 2000 lb hoist for lifting.

Any other questions about winches and parts, just ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Wow! THANKS for that info. No I didn't take it as being mislead. I don't know enough about electric motors to understand what you said. I just wanted to post up exactly what you replied in case someone is interested in buying one.

I asked because I was considering one. Especially for that price, positive reviews and that it's not made in China. I still might order one and get the 6 HP Warn down the road.

Scott

Link? I've picked up I think 5 albrights from him now via ebay. I might have a problem I know. This place is the same cost as therapy.

Link? I've picked up I think 5 albrights from him now via ebay. I might have a problem I know. This place is the same cost as therapy.
You can send me a PM if you want. I'm working on a Shopify site and I want to have that working before I setup as a mud vendor (was hoping to have it done already, but stuff happens). If you message me I can explain what I have and prices. I'm happy to avoid the fees of amazon and ebay and sell direct. Also amazon has a return policy that's pretty absurd and that's why I charge more for the motors and contactors on that platform. I have no problem replacing anything that's not right or refunding for an issue. But as a seller I have to charge a PITA fee when people file an amazon claim and then ship me back their broken chinese contactor. Happens way too much on there.

Thanks. I can wait. The spare 8274 just arrived, I have plenty of other projects. I'll start with rewiring the other 3 solenoids first. I don't need that many distractions yet. But it will be beneficial to others here to get your albright solenoids direct. I should have just purchased all at once. My last order I did go ahead and pick up 4. I think they came last Friday And amazing packaging. I use the spare packaging to mask off for paint. I don't "need" a spare 8274 yet.

Reactions: PIP
I went ahead and ordered a motor and contactor from PIP. I'll start another thread whenever I get to freshening up my 8274. Thanks for all your input.

I have both on my 8274's .....the 68608 is on my LX-450 and the 70865 on my 97 F350 crew cab long bed.

The Warn 70865 will absolutely drag my truck, found this out pulling out a tractor that accidentally backed up into a pond

The Warn 68608 is a beast as well, dragging Lots of fir and ponderosa pines off of roads

Both these motors are "top shelf" it takes an 8k 8274 to way over 10k rating (possibly near 12k) with speed and reliability

80265BFA-D4EE-41A2-8483-2BC3A7EA67C4.jpeg

PIP are you the guy from Mcminnville that advertised on Craigslist with the foreign motors and contractors?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom