Who has a Warn 8274 Winch on their FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Beautiful work. Sucks cutting into a fresh bumper but the results are worth it!!
Thanks, I had a little help with this one as i’m still learning body and paintwork. The pics make the bumper look better than it was. I wanted to fill the extra holes as well, worst case scenario was more welding.

I built my own 8274 mount for my 45 build. I wanted a factory look with a recessed fairlead. I don’t have leaf springs so I had more options for mounting.

I had a custom piece of 1/4 inch steel plate bent to fit in the front frame rails. I then cut and angled the bottom of the channel to allow the 8274 to sit as low as possible. I had the winch mounting plate cut from 3/8 steel then welded it to the front support.

I used an OEM bumper to cut and bend a recess in. There are more Details in my build thread.

27199826-E930-48B5-9014-748291CBFA5C.jpeg

D6FA8EF0-30D0-4A4C-9835-5BBBF0A62FA0.jpeg

D2F66767-95B2-4ECF-9814-48C92D52222F.jpeg

16098539-091A-4969-9690-02CC864AEEDD.jpeg

304F02C7-FF96-4153-9076-1A7C0423DF39.jpeg

Any 8274 owners have a thread about rebuilding theirs? Curious to learn more before I pull the trigger if I can find one.

Rebuilding the legendary Warn M8274 electric winch step by step​

This is a really good write up on motor trend’s online site. I’m using it to go through mine right now

Any 8274 owners have a thread about rebuilding theirs? Curious to learn more before I pull the trigger if I can find one.

There are several in the winching sub-forum here on Mud; this one by @flintknapper is by far the best, and the one I used as a guide:

My WARN 8274 rebuild part 1..... - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/my-warn-8274-rebuild-part-1.197470/

The winching forum has lots of good info as @1911 posted. Additional sources here:

8274 is a straightforward rebuild.

This is a really good write up on motor trend’s online site. I’m using it to go through mine right now

There are several in the winching sub-forum here on Mud; this one by @flintknapper is by far the best, and the one I used as a guide:

My WARN 8274 rebuild part 1..... - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/my-warn-8274-rebuild-part-1.197470/

The winching forum has lots of good info as @1911 posted. Additional sources here:

Wow, thanks guys! Awesome info. I have a line on one, should know more today. Would certainly be a project for down the line a bit as I get my 6/77 back on the road.

Looking for an old solenoid cover for an 8274 I’m rebuilding. Realize new is available, but would like one without the “w” in red.

Looking for an old solenoid cover for an 8274 I’m rebuilding. Realize new is available, but would like one without the “w” in red.

I'd post this request in the for sale/wanted section. There might be someone who has one laying around that updated theirs to new.

Last time I was wheeling in the San Juan Mountains, i was having lunch in Lake City, after having run the Engineer Pass trail. Some guy at the restaurant got all excited because of the red "W" on my solenoid (contactor) cover; he thought I was a University of Wisconsin fan.

@powthief19 How would one procure one of your mounting plates? Have a site or is there a thread on MUD?

EDIT: Found your thread.

Whos reproducing stickers these days?

This was apparently a toyota factory 24 volt 8274. Got it in a swap for a 12v 8274 that looked like an 8274. This one Im not sure of. If anyone has any ideas let me know

winch.jpg

winch 2.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom