She's not pretty but she's finally alive! ('79 BJ40 with 3B transplant) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys just dropping a quick note to thanks so many of you that helped me along the way and all of the forms that were old but very relevant that helped me get this thing running. It's been 25 years since I restored my last vehicle. It's great to have such an amazing community of folks supporting each other and sharing knowledge.
This is a 1979 BJ40 imported from Holland to the US. B series motor did not run when I got it in February of 2021 so I sourced the motor out of Canada from a 1985 BJ60. Despite some opinions that this is an easy drop in I can assure you it is not however now having done one I know all the little details and would be willing to share in a separate forum if anyone is interested. With only 95 horsepower I was worried this wouldn't have a lot of get up and go but it is surprisingly peppy.
Cheers!

20211128_173002.jpg

20211128_145750.jpg

20211128_145143.jpg

I am just going through the same adventure with my 78 BJ40 - my B engine finally gave up and I have two 3B's that I have taken apart and selected the most suitable parts for re-assembly into a single working engine. At this moment, the selected block has new liners (waiting to be rebored), pistons, rings, etc. The only issue I have identified so far is the linkage for the throttle cable. I am certain that more issues will arise when it comes time to install the new engine. Any suggestions ?

I am just going through the same adventure with my 78 BJ40 - my B engine finally gave up and I have two 3B's that I have taken apart and selected the most suitable parts for re-assembly into a single working engine. At this moment, the selected block has new liners (waiting to be rebored), pistons, rings, etc. The only issue I have identified so far is the linkage for the throttle cable. I am certain that more issues will arise when it comes time to install the new engine. Any suggestions ?
Hey there... I ended up using the throttle cable and bracket from the B... Unfortunately the 3B pulls 90° different direction at the throttle body intake so I had to use a small bracket and attach it to the top of the valve cover. I would consider this a quick fix and want to do something a little better down the line.

20211128_203505.jpg

Congrats for the progress on your ex-Dutch truck, Bennyboy ATX !

It seems that you're quite happy with this "surprisingly peppy" of engine, the 3B !

Following and... :cheers:!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom