Engine bay bracket for fuse blocks, etc (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CruiserTrash

Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
cruisertrashparts.com
As with all things Land Cruiser, I had a simple task - upgrading the alternator wiring - that led me down a deep, deep rabbit hole. I wanted a fuse block to hold a larger fuse for the upgraded wiring instead of a messy inline fuse, but I had nowhere to mount a block in the engine bay. Did some kind of bracket exist? Nope. Could I make something with a hammer and cut off wheel in an afternoon? Probably, but it would be ugly. Did I want to relearn CAD for the first time in 20 years? Sure, why not.

This the the first prototype of the bracket. It needs some tweaks. But I have it installed in my truck. This is CNC cut, bent 304 stainless steel. You could mount dual battery or solar panel gadgetry to this thing too. I'm using it for fuse and relay blocks to clean up my engine bay wiring, and ultimately to bypass the fusible link with equivalent slow-blow fuses. There's a possibility I could further tweak it so an air compressor would fit, too.

Would anybody be interested in this? Sorry for the crap photos: one is the bracket laying loose, and the other is after I finished the alternator wiring in the dark. I'll get some better photos tomorrow.

1435DA77-FC98-4134-9105-95780BAA6EEB.jpeg

A5F17FF4-5E72-4E4B-B2D6-DB092C89CB67.jpeg

Last edited:
35EBEAC9-02FE-47B9-A9C0-3573E021D502.jpeg

7EC6BFE5-8348-4317-93B7-B06C5E8B4743.jpeg
54256C32-B95C-46F5-B0F7-699AFF68A2C0.jpeg

As you can see I had to modify the "foot" - it was a hair too long. Cut off the end and re-bent it with a hammer over a piece of angle. Crude, but I just wanted to get this one in. The foot lands on a flat spot on the wheel well and requires drilling a hole. Trigger warning for you "it's gotta be untouched OEM" freaks!

Other than the foot, it mounts to two threaded holes in the passenger side wall of the engine bay (M8x1.25, plus a spacer).

The vertical face hanging down towards the engine is for things that side mount like the GDC modular relay block I have. The small vertical strip hanging down towards the battery with the thin slot is for attaching zip ties or whatever to help with with cable management.

The top platform is roughly 11"x9", so there's lots of space. That fuse block I have is enourmous.

Revisions for round 2:
Thicker gauge stainless (it works well but is a little floppy for my taste
Fix the foot dimensions and possibly add a 2nd foot
Make the slots only go halfway across the top so the structure is more rigid (probably make the metal between slots alternate like a layer of bricks)
Possibly lower the relative height of the platform if that makes commonly used air compressors fit under the hood

Anything I'm missing?

270FF73C-292B-4260-B2D3-A9FCF8D73245.jpeg

Thanks @OSS - looks good! The main internal section of my fuse box is waterproof, but the outer lugs are not. It's unlikely that some stray water from rain or whatever would cause those to short, but it could be a weak point under heavy water or during a deep water crossing. Luckily the hot, ground, and fused hot lugs are all on different sides so they wouldn't easily short. The Pelican case is a pretty cool idea for complete waterproofing though.

Looks great! You ought to design one to replace the little holder bracket for the Headlight washer bottle too and use those same mounting holes over there for people who have ditched the dumb headlight washers!

Looks great! You ought to design one to replace the little holder bracket for the Headlight washer bottle too and use those same mounting holes over there for people who have ditched the dumb headlight washers!
Can you send a photo? I have an 83 - no headlight washers.

Hereis what i did on an 1984fj60 i did an ls swap on needed extra power amd stuff for power seats n stuff. Wasn't cnc cut was built by me for the bussman box and circuit breaker hides some of the wiring qith the boxed design. Was a one off bracket .
Tommy

Screenshot_20211127-163106.png

Hereis what i did on an 1984fj60 i did an ls swap on needed extra power amd stuff for power seats n stuff. Wasn't cnc cut was built by me for the bussman box and circuit breaker hides some of the wiring qith the boxed design. Was a one off bracket .
Tommy

View attachment 2849588
Nice. Looks like some pretty heavy gauge bent steel?

I mounted my arb compressor there and don’t have any pics unfortunately. This would have helped a lot for me mounting the compressor haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom