Alternator issues. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
20211126_124409.jpg

Hello guys, new guy here. My '92 land cruiser had issues with the alternator so I had a shop to install a new one. It worked for 3 weeks until yesterday it quit chraging the battery. I change the battery for a new one and also the fusible links and it seems that its a faulty nee part? I see this wire that looks like a hot wire loose and I can't find any info to where it goes. I don't know if the alternator is a bosch or duralast so I'm at loss. Thank you in advance.

Check the wire connections for corrosion and tightness, especially if you live near the coast. This includes the wires at the battery and ground wire on the engine block.

Take the alternator to an auto parts store to be bench tested. It’s free and fast.

Check the wire connections for corrosion and tightness, especially if you live near the coast. This includes the wires at the battery and ground wire on the engine block.

Take the alternator to an auto parts store to be bench tested. It’s free and fast.
I checked the wiring and the fusible links were cracked and almost falling apart so I change them. I live in California and I went to Autozone to buy a new battery in case the newish battery from napa was bad and after hooking up the new battery, it started right on. Then I took it back to get the alternator checked and the guy said the battery was getting low on charge and that the alternator wasn't working. If you see the picture, I wonder if that wire needs to be hooked up somewhere because it seems odd to me to have it loose and it seems like its hot because of the dust rubber cover. I'm trying to find out where that wire belongs to.

That wire needs to go to a post on the alternator. That is the charging wire. It should be where that hex looking bolt is. Looks like the post has broken off. Probably tightened to much and broke loose and that is where your problems started

image.jpg
This is a FJ-40 alternator and has 2 terminals that can be used. They are marked B.

That wire needs to go to a post on the alternator. That is the charging wire. It should be where that hex looking bolt is. Looks like the post has broken off. Probably tightened to much and broke loose and that is where your problems started

View attachment 2849655This is a FJ-40 alternator and has 2 terminals that can be used. They are marked B.
Thank you.
If you see the back of this which looks slightly different but same conectors that the one the shop installed. The rounded connection is fine and its the only one connected. I actually tried to connect it to the hex nut/bolt, red on the picture and it started smoking so I disconnected the battery terminals right away. Its so weird that the guy at the shop would leave the wire hanging loose after installing the alternator which it worked good for 3 weeks until it didn't.

ff844178acf672210b891c057e76ceff_1200x.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 2849655This is a FJ-40 alternator and has 2 terminals that can be used. They are marked B.
Travis, you are right. I'm an idiot. The wire goes on the terminal and it broke off. I'm an idiot because I thought since the bolt is short, then if I took off the black bushing, I'd have had space for the wire making a short by touching the alternator housing. Thank you!

The wire looks like it was never hooked up when the alternator was installed.
That's why I thought because the crusier ran for 2 weeks without issues until it didn't. But that post/bolt was longer and it must have broken off because that's the chraging cable.

Take it back to the shop that replaced it and they should fix it, as they most likely broke it, or it was a bad part that should not have been used.
Yeah, the mechanic will take care of it. Aparently you can buy those posts online which it means they break so I'm going to order a couple just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom