Ignition switch problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1976 fj40 I turn the key on electric fuel pump radio all turn on like there supposed to. the black wire with a yellow stripe back side of the key switch has 12.5 volts I turn the key to crank The motor cranks and sometimes fires up with messing with it but mostly shortly after turning the key to crank I lose the fuel pump sound and the radio and everything shuts itself off with the key in the run position and I lose voltage at the black wire with a yellow stripe back side of the key switch. just like I turned the key off. I can cycle the key a few times and get it to start and run but every time i lose electricity at the black wire yellow stripe the vehicle shuts itself off like i turned the key off? I ran a hot 12 volt jumper to the black wire with a yellow stripe and when I fire up the vehicle if it shuts itself off i can apply 12 volts to the black wire with a yello stripe at the back side of the key swicth and the vehicle will stay running? if i take the hotwire away the vehicle starts to die if i reapply the wire it starts running again. If I play with it and get it running after it warms up it seems to stop acting goofy and runs like its supposed to? I sprayed wd 40 inside the key hole didnt seem to do anything ? do I need to replace the ignition swicth ? can i take it apart and clean it? or ????

punctuation much ?

1976 fj40 I turn the key on electric fuel pump radio all turn on like there supposed to. the black wire with a yellow stripe back side of the key switch has 12.5 volts I turn the key to crank The motor cranks and sometimes fires up with messing with it but mostly shortly after turning the key to crank I lose the fuel pump sound and the radio and everything shuts itself off with the key in the run position and I lose voltage at the black wire with a yellow stripe back side of the key switch. just like I turned the key off. I can cycle the key a few times and get it to start and run but every time i lose electricity at the black wire yellow stripe the vehicle shuts itself off like i turned the key off? I ran a hot 12 volt jumper to the black wire with a yellow stripe and when I fire up the vehicle if it shuts itself off i can apply 12 volts to the black wire with a yello stripe at the back side of the key swicth and the vehicle will stay running? if i take the hotwire away the vehicle starts to die if i reapply the wire it starts running again. If I play with it and get it running after it warms up it seems to stop acting goofy and runs like its supposed to? I sprayed wd 40 inside the key hole didnt seem to do anything ? do I need to replace the ignition swicth ? can i take it apart and clean it? or ????

maybe this will solve your issues : ?

1637916911537.png

1637916924887.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom