Dobinson 80 swing out bumper with bike rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all - I just pulled the trigger on the aforementioned bumper - 4x4 labs was the top of my list but the wait time is around 25 weeks right now and I am not in a position to wait that out for a number of reasons. I was wondering if anyone has figured out a good hack for carrying bikes with this bumper - maybe someone has Engineered akin to the 4x4 labs bike swing out? I have a Thule spare tire carrier that I could use, but I don’t love it, and the tire being offset to the side isn’t ideal for bike carrying. If possible would love to get away from a hitch carrier. It’s a pain to deal with two swim arms and the two trunk doors plus a bike rack on the hitch. Any and all advice appreciated !

I like putting my hitch mount 1up bike carrier on the front to keep the back open. Obviously requires a Reese hitch on the front, but that comes in handy for multiple purposes.

I like putting my hitch mount 1up bike carrier on the front to keep the back open. Obviously requires a Reese hitch on the front, but that comes in handy for multiple purposes.
That’s an interesting option. I cruised the bike forum snd saw some interesting mods people had done to prefab spare carrier racks - I may go
That route. In a perfect work I could fab a 1up onto a swing arm that could replace the Jerry can carrier on the bumper.

BBE26725-3B58-40DF-8F78-F54509C0F1F0.png

I have the 4x4labs rear bumper, with dual swing outs. I’ve been thinking about carrying my bikes as well, and have a Kuat rack I like a lot. My plan was to use a hitch extension to get the rack out past the spare tire (for those trips where I’m carrying the spare). But I recently read on this forum that 4x4labs is confident that a receiver could be mounted to a swing out arm to facilitate bike racks. So I’m considering all the options. I don’t know how the Dobinson rack is constructed ked, exactly, but I’ll bet your idea of replacing the carrier with a receiver that is fabricated for that location would work. The arms certainly appear stout.

I have the 4x4labs rear bumper, with dual swing outs. I’ve been thinking about carrying my bikes as well, and have a Kuat rack I like a lot. My plan was to use a hitch extension to get the rack out past the spare tire (for those trips where I’m carrying the spare). But I recently read on this forum that 4x4labs is confident that a receiver could be mounted to a swing out arm to facilitate bike racks. So I’m considering all the options. I don’t know how the Dobinson rack is constructed ked, exactly, but I’ll bet your idea of replacing the carrier with a receiver that is fabricated for that location would work. The arms certainly appear stout.
I have a guy locally who’s going to help me fab up a swing arm to attach to the dobinson that will have a 2” receiver on the end. I will plug the 1UP rack I just bought into in when I need it. I’ll post pics next week when it’s done!

I have a guy locally who’s going to help me fab up a swing arm to attach to the dobinson that will have a 2” receiver on the end. I will plug the 1UP rack I just bought into in when I need it. I’ll post pics next week when it’s done!
How did this go? I am considering something similar :D

Did you ever figure something out? I’m in the same boat. 4x4labs rear bumper with a Kuat rack. Trying to figure out how to attach it to the swingout without the bikes way out to the side of the truck.

I bought the extension, but haven’t run it yet. I need to confirm that it will work, as I’m taking it on the road in a couple of weeks. I’ll check this weekend and post back either way.
Did you ever figure something out? I’m in the same boat. 4x4labs rear bumper with a Kuat rack. Trying to figure out how to attach it to the swingout without the bikes way out to the side of the truck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom