Skinny Tires: Handling on Pavement? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm putting new tires on my GX470 soon, and debating between sizing up to a 265/70R17 or 255/75R17 (stock size is 265/65R17).

I like the looks of the 255/75, and wouldn't mind the slightly greater increase in ground clearance. My concern is decreased braking or cornering traction on pavement, which is where I drive 99% of the time. Is that a valid concern with the narrower tire?

I know the merits of pizza cutters have been discussed extensively, but I haven't really seen any mention of performance on pavement.

The size difference is negligible. In fact, the contact patch may be identical. The 265/275 is section width not necessarily tread width.

I'm putting new tires on my GX470 soon, and debating between sizing up to a 265/70R17 or 255/75R17 (stock size is 265/65R17).

I like the looks of the 255/75, and wouldn't mind the slightly greater increase in ground clearance. My concern is decreased braking or cornering traction on pavement, which is where I drive 99% of the time. Is that a valid concern with the narrower tire?

I know the merits of pizza cutters have been discussed extensively, but I haven't really seen any mention of performance on pavement.
Pizza cutters??? Less than 1/2" difference in width in my book, does not constitute the term "pizza cutter" IMHO. But anyway, in "sizing up", I think the biggest difference you'd see would be reduced MPG. Nowadays for most people, that's becoming almost critical. But for now, it's still for the most part, a free country.

For comparison purposes:
255/75-R17
265/70-R17

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom